• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: ARGH! I can't believe it!

Brightsy

Mouseketeer
I made reservations for a big to-do at WDW for the week of Aug. 8 through the 13th! My in-laws are coming, and maybe even my SIL, BIL and their two girls! Along w/ me, DH, and my DSs we're talking Grand Gatherings here! And then, this morning I go looking through my boys folders from school only to learn that the kids are returning to school early this coming year... you guessed it... Aug. 8!!!!! ARGH!
Now I guess I gotta call the in-laws find out IF they can change their plane tickets for the week before... call the SIL and find out if it's do-able for her AND find out if we can change the room res. for all this! *heavy heavy sigh* I guess the other option is for my kids to miss the first week of school. Older DS will be going to the 1st grade, he's ADHD but isn't getting any extra school help, doesn't need it right now. Younger DS is HF ASD and in a special pre-k program. DO ya'll think it would hurt for them to miss the first week? I'll check into changing the dates first, I'd really rather not have them miss school... *shaking head* WHY couldn't the county have told me about the date change a month or two ago??? I went through my files, I keep all that kind of stuff, and I didn't dind any other references to the change before the one this morning. *Sigh*
Sorry about the OT of all this but this is my favorite place to share and vent!

Sara :confused3 :sad2: :worried:

Brightsy this has been on the school system schedule for over a year at the website. The schools didn't just announce this. And this is the same time school started last year. It was done to bring us in line with the rest of the state and to give more time for FCAT preparation.
It won't hurt him to miss the first week of school. I wouldn't be surprised if many kids do.

I realize that now about the website. I hadn't checked. Plus we weren't here at the beginning of the school year, we moved here from HI late August. Anyways, my hubby said not to stress, and to just go ahead and find out if the various in-laws can switch dates. If not we'll go ahead as planned. Thanks for listening. err.... reading that is!

Sara

Talking Hands said:
Brightsy this has been on the school system schedule for over a year at the website. The schools didn't just announce this. And this is the same time school started last year. It was done to bring us in line with the rest of the state and to give more time for FCAT preparation.
It won't hurt him to miss the first week of school. I wouldn't be surprised if many kids do.

Wow! You guys in FL. start school early( Aug.8). In Illinois,at least in my dkid's school district, we start August 20 something. We end school in early June. Just making an observation.

Rosemarie :flower:

They are talking about moving it up another week in 2006-2007 school year which would make the start of school around Aug 1

I believe our first day of school will be Wednesday, September 7th here in Rochester, NY. However, we don't end this school year until 23 or 24th of June so it all evens out.

Anyone know why they do things so differently in various parts of the country? Just curious! :)

Argh moment has been fixed! We were able to change all the dates to a week earlier! So the good news is I don't have to wait as long to go for the big trip!!!

Sara :earsboy: :earsgirl: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Each year NC has been starting earlier and earlier. This fall we started Aug 11th and are out at the end of May.

However the tourist areas like the coast complained they were loosing business one of the hottest months of the year so they passed legislation that we can't start til the end of August.

So August 25th will be the start date next fall-- so we have a long summer.
If only Dad had more vacation time!!!!

He might be having double amputations this summer due to complications in his legs so at least I will have time to help him recuperate before he heads back to work. Will also have to see what the drs think about traveling while healing
:earsboy:

Linda

Oh my! I do hope that it doesn't come to amputations! I had a near miss in Dec. w/ that. I had an infection in my leg, they say 12 more hours and I woulda lost the leg, maybe even died. *shudder* Still, if it's what's best then I hope it goes smoothly with a speedy recovery!

School let's out here June 2 (which is the date I go to WDW to eat at the Chef's Table and V&A w/ my Momma, her SO and my Uncle CheshireFIgment). Then back to school on Aug. 8. Short break!

Sara :earsgirl:

LindaDVC said:
Each year NC has been starting earlier and earlier. This fall we started Aug 11th and are out at the end of May.

However the tourist areas like the coast complained they were loosing business one of the hottest months of the year so they passed legislation that we can't start til the end of August.

So August 25th will be the start date next fall-- so we have a long summer.
If only Dad had more vacation time!!!!

He might be having double amputations this summer due to complications in his legs so at least I will have time to help him recuperate before he heads back to work. Will also have to see what the drs think about traveling while healing

Linda

Just a heads up to let you know that Miami-Dade will start either Aug 2 or Aug 7 in the 2006-2007 year. Broward usually foloows the same schedule.

Yick. Well, I guess there's good and bad about the school year starting earlier. :-) Less time to figure out how to keep the kids all busy!

Sara

Talking Hands said:
Just a heads up to let you know that Miami-Dade will start either Aug 2 or Aug 7 in the 2006-2007 year. Broward usually foloows the same schedule.

Actually we are getting the same time off but the months are different. WE used to start the last week in Aug and get off mid June. We've basically just sifted by 2-3 weeks so we get June and July off and not July and August.

LindaDVC - Just to let you know that there are a few of our NC counties that are exempt from that new legislation to start school later. Up here in the NC mountains (Boone area) we'll be lucky enough to be starting school on the 11th! AARHGG! We don't get out until June 7th so it's barely two months!

LindaDVC said:

Linda
Sorry to hear about that possibility. Hope things work out well for him.

Minnesota starts very late with school in the fall - after Labor Day. It had been that late in the year by law, then a few years ago, they changed to allow before. The owners of some of the resorts complained that it affected their business (and their staff since some younger employees had to finish work befor Labor Day so they could start back in school). For next year, we're back to after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter