OT, budget related...moving question...

Maybelle

<font color=green>I rode my inch worm down the str
Is there anyplace where I can purchase large packing boxes inexpensively?? Any help is appreciated!

thanks

Our elementary school is moving. The school district purchased packing boxes from Lowes and Home Depot. I think each box was $2.00. I'm not sure if you can get them for less than that. I know the school purchased all the boxes both stores had.

home depot and lowes both sell boxes. i paid per box, the biggest size i think was 1.10-1.20 a box, however the one time i went they were on sale and i got them cheaper than when i made my second trip. as one friend pointed out when you get them for free they don't always stack well and can cause problems for movers. when you are paying per hour its cheaper to buy uniform boxes than pay for more time b/c you used funky shaped free boxes that they could not stack. i also bought some file boxes at staples, these were good for papers and books. i think i paid $15 for a pack of them. the file boxes i have continued to use for storage. i am passing them on to my mother who is moving shortly so it was a good investment to me.

our Costco selss boxes, packing tape etc. Also, when my parents and sister all moved, their moving company brought over free boxes that we just had to pack ourselves.

The small boxes at Home Depot (good for books and other heavy objects) are under $1 each, medium about $1 each, then around $2 each for the larger ones. They also have wardrobe boxes, which are quite a bit more expensive, but could be worthwhile, depending on how much clothing is being moved and over what distance/time period.

If you are not opposed to used boxes, I see them offered for free several times on CL. Also, I used to get great boxes from a friend who sold home products, they were really nice, strong boxes. And McDonalds gave me a bunch when I was driving by as a guy was breaking them down for their trash.

Call your local hospital. I'm a nurse and was able to get all the boxes I could ever need from the folks down in central supply. I am sure they wouldn't mind saving them for you either.

thanks for all the suggestions.

I ended up heading over to Home Depot and picking up some medium size boxes, which are exactly the size I was needed. They were, I think, $1.38 each.

I see that you already got some, but if you need more, consider posting on FreeCycle or Craigslist. I've seen a lot of people on my local FreeCycle group offering them for FREE

I would also suggest the liquor store for boxes for dishes and especially glassware. I got some great ones for free.

The is www.uline.com which sells all sizes of boxes and other packing materials. For my lat major move we were able to purchase 750 foot rolls of bubble wrap for what Office Depot was charging for 150 feet and 20 cubic foot bags of peanuts for the cost of 5 feet at other places. Also get dish packs, portable wardrobes, etc.

Also, look on Craigslist under the "free" section. I've put ours there before just to get rid of them. Or even post that you are looking for moving boxes. The dishpacks are the best along with the wardrobe boxes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter