OT camping on the Gulf

ditchdoc1017

Mouseketeer
I need a camp ground close to Panama city or destin that you can camp right on the beach. Any ideas the one in destin is booked up.

There is supposed to be a State park close to Destin that is really close to the water. The one in Destin is the only one I know of right on the beach. St. Andrews state park in Panama City is on the Bay, with Gulf access. Hope that helps.

Henderson State Park in Destin you can't park on the Gulf but it on the Gulf. . It just a board walk away, Also there is Topsail in San Destin which sounds really interesting, they have a trolley to the beach and also have a pool:thumbsup2. There use to be one on the Gulf in Navarre but it has not reopen since the Hurricanes. I've been on the other side of Panama City (Port Saint Joe) They have some good camp sites over there.
I've tried booking Henderson State Park and I think its impossible.

Topsail Hill Preserve. It is WONDERFUL!! We go every year and it is very nice. It is a state park, has a pool, laundry, bath houses,etc. You do not park your RV right on the beach but they have almost 2 miles of private beach (Never crowded!!!) and you can ride the trolley or walk or ride your bike (approx 1.4 miles from tram stop to beach boardwalk). The trolley runs every hour. It is safe for the kids to ride bikes and they always meet new "friends". We actually have several families from different states that meet back at the campground every year to vacation together. I would absolutely recommend this place! They also have "cabin" rentals (weekly) and they appear to be nice too. As my kids would say, It's da bomb!

Thanks I think I have wait to late the only thing I can find is a site here and there having to move several times . But oh well Gulf State park has opening might do that.

Do any of the FL state parks allow you to use Golf Carts? That "TopSail Hill" and "Henderson" look pretty dang sweet..but I noticed its a 7/10 of a mile from the cabins to the beach accessible for pedestrians, trams and bikes...I wonder if the golfcart would be considered a "personal tram".

Darn Govt....Just tryin to make sure we HAVE to use their $4 gasoline!!!

All Gov't run parks say :sad2: to G/C's.

This is also true at Georgia state parks...what is with this...lets see, use my sut belching, loud, diesel guzzling 3/4 truck or an environmentally friendly, quite, non-polluting, electric golf cart to get around the camp ground. Hum-mm. Seems like a no-brainier to me, but not to the bureaucrats.

I don't know, we had some neat toys to play with at government expense during Gulf 1

Do any of the FL state parks allow you to use Golf Carts? That "TopSail Hill" and "Henderson" look pretty dang sweet..but I noticed its a 7/10 of a mile from the cabins to the beach accessible for pedestrians, trams and bikes...I wonder if the golfcart would be considered a "personal tram".

Even without the golf carts, you still can't beat the laid back and not crowded atmosphere of Topsail!!! Plus, all of its sites are paved; not sure about Henderson, Grayton Beach, etc.

Even without the golf carts, you still can't beat the laid back and not crowded atmosphere of Topsail!!! Plus, all of its sites are paved; not sure about Henderson, Grayton Beach, etc.

Can't speak to Grayton Beach, but Henderson has unpaved sites without sewer or cable. I think same is true at Grayton but I haven't been there so I can't say for sure.

Topsail is about as nice as it gets, though. There is a section at Topsail that is rustic, though. Similar to Ft. Wilderness I guess. Sites 101-about 160 is posh. Look at the map, those are in a section together.

This is a nice campground if you like driving to St. Andrews State Park or walking between scary businesses to get to the beach! There is NO shade so it is hot during the day. The pool is okay but I don't go to the beach for a pool. The pads are nice and it is well landscaped but there is no beach access that I know of. We walked to the public beach access and it was a good hike with little ones and the area left alot to be desired. I would NOT waste my beach camping experience staying here. Our next camping trip to PC Beach will be at St. Andrews State Park. It is really nice and on the lagoon and beach. They have a nice beach area with a store and snack bar. The pavilion looks nice for a picnic and resting in the shade.

We like camping at Myrtle Beach because the campgrounds are beach front. This is something that PC Beach is lacking and it is really too bad. We love going there. Good luck on your quest. If it were me, I would stay at the Osprey or Driftwood Lodge. They are two of the only affordable Hotels left that are nice and family oriented.

BTW-Topsail looks GREAT:thumbsup2 ....except it is not beach front!:confused3

Good luck!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter