• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: Driving roundtrip, Philadelphia area - NYC & back on the day before Thanksgiving

DizneeCM

Mouseketeer
My son attends college in NYC and has class the day before Thanksgiving, so I'll be driving up to get him (we were able to avoid a day-before-Thanksgiving pick-up in prior years).

For others who have had to "escape from New York" ;-) on this day, how bad is it if you can leave the city by noon? Any hints? How are the GWB and the Jersey Turnpike (we can also take the 78 to 287 to 202 route, but we still have to get to 78 first)? We are leaving from the upper west side.

Does your son have a ton of stuff he is bringing home? If not, I would have him take the train down. The weather is going to be nasty. Probably will take you 2 hour just to get out of the city.

HoooBoy! That won't be pretty! Can you at least have him take a train to Trenton and pick him up there so you can avoid city traffic? Even picking him up on Thanksgiving morning is going to be better than anytime Wednesday. The Nor'Easter should be passed by then.

As the others have said have him take the train. The NJ turnpike will be a mess as will 78. My office is off the turnpike at exit 16W. I never go in the day before a holiday what is normally a 45 min ride will take at least 2 hours.

Hi, thanks for all of the comments. I'll check with him to see how much stuff he has - fingers crossed that the train will work out! If not, keep me in your thoughts on Wednesday as I fight the traffic ;-)

Thanks again for the advice and happy Thanksgiving to all!

Hi, thanks again for all of the advice and kind thoughts :-) Just to update, I ended up driving because he had a lot of stuff to bring home and I felt bad about having him try to drag it all on the subway & train (I know, I'm a sap ;-)

I left home at 8 am after checking the traffic, and took 95 (Jersey turnpike), the eastern spur of 95, and then the GWB. There were some slow spots but it wasn't too bad (gave myself lots of extra time). We left the city at noon (after checking routes again) and took the GWB to 95, then to 78, 287 and 202. Again, not too terrible, but definitely heavy. I think we made it out just in time!

Thanks again for the help - probably will try to have him take the train the next heavy travel day.

Hi, thanks again for all of the advice and kind thoughts :-) Just to update, I ended up driving because he had a lot of stuff to bring home and I felt bad about having him try to drag it all on the subway & train (I know, I'm a sap ;-)

I left home at 8 am after checking the traffic, and took 95 (Jersey turnpike), the eastern spur of 95, and then the GWB. There were some slow spots but it wasn't too bad (gave myself lots of extra time). We left the city at noon (after checking routes again) and took the GWB to 95, then to 78, 287 and 202. Again, not too terrible, but definitely heavy. I think we made it out just in time!

Thanks again for the help - probably will try to have him take the train the next heavy travel day.

:thumbsup2 What we do for our kids! Happy Thanksgiving!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter