OT - ETFO Phase 3

star72232

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know what that actually means? I can't find anything anywhere. I'm starting to get more worried about this.

I've been trying to find details on what it all means, specifically...with no success. Wonder why it's not on all school board websites.

DW is a teacher and the union has not said. It is the union that decides what the measures will be. Meetings are tonight; school boards will find out tomorrow along with the rest of us. Expected that phase 3 measures will be more impactful than phase 1 and 2; possibly much more impactful.

Mmm I talked to someone last night that would have a pretty good idea of what's going on. But anyhow, was told " there is no phase 3" and I asked again if anything was in the works, so I could plan a little for the coming weeks. Was told that, they are holding out hope for more meetings, and that they haven't been told of any walkout .

Yup its when they start to show their true colours. They start to show that its not about the kids, but about what extras they can squeeze out for themselves. Have you ever compared what the teachers in other parts of this country get. Prep time, sick time, pay. Fire everyone take the year and rehire only the good ones. And that is coming from someone who has kids in the system and would have to sacrifice a lot to look after them for a year. But it would be worth it.

Yup its when they start to show their true colours. They start to show that its not about the kids, but about what extras they can squeeze out for themselves. Have you ever compared what the teachers in other parts of this country get. Prep time, sick time, pay. Fire everyone take the year and rehire only the good ones. And that is coming from someone who has kids in the system and would have to sacrifice a lot to look after them for a year. But it would be worth it.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I fully support the union and what they're trying to accomplish. What they're seeking is in the best interest of my kids.

In my own best interest, I'm going to abstain from further comments on this issue. :D

Sorry but if it's anything like it is here in Quebec, the reason they are doing it is EXACTLY for the kids. How are all kids suppose to learn with increased class sizes and decrease in help for kids with special needs? I'm with the teachers on this one. And I'm with trivial, staying out from here on...

mort1331, I have 35 students in my JK/SK class. That is not an optimal learning environment for students.
We are fighting for smaller class sizes. I'm sure you would complain if your three year old was crammed into a class of 35 students. Our work environment is your child's learning environment.
Mort1331 I am sick of teacher bashing from the likes of you. I run sports teams, running clubs, ice cream days, winter concerts, school plays, dance clubs, Terry Fox runs and other fund raising initiatives.

mort1331, I have 35 students in my JK/SK class. That is not an optimal learning environment for students.
We are fighting for smaller class sizes. I'm sure you would complain if your three year old was crammed into a class of 35 students. Our work environment is your child's learning environment.
Mort1331 I am sick of teacher bashing from the likes of you. I run sports teams, running clubs, ice cream days, winter concerts, school plays, dance clubs, Terry Fox runs and other fund raising initiatives.
Thank you for all you do.

I was reading about Stage 3 and I'm really upset about "Wynne Wednesdays". Specifically "They’ve also been told to wear union insignia — buttons, t-shirts or hats" http://www.cp24.com/news/etfo-readi...res-for-rotating-strikes-in-october-1.2569806

My kid can't wear a shirt with a Monster High logo, or a hat at all in school come to think of it, but teachers can do this? This isn't about money or politics but the buttons and shirts would send a very clear message to me. Great example to set. Can I come to the school and volunteer with something against Sam Hammond written on my forehead? Probably not.

And let me be clear...I am not a fan of Wynne or our Provincial Liberal government. I believe she and McGuinty should be in jail! McGuinty especially (but that is another tirade for another time). This particular union and all the power behind them are part of the reason this government was voted in at all! And I don't understand if the French and Catholic elementary teachers settled. They were fighting the same fight weren't they? What are the English elementary teachers asking for that the others did not?

Here is what I told DH's cousin who is a teacher when she was complaining about having to work on a snow day when buses were cancelled and schools were still open. Teaching is not a career you just fall into. You know it comes with certain challenges and benefits, just like any other career. Is it an important job? Yes. Is it an easy job? No. But you CHOSE it. Don't cry to me when it is a snow day and you have the option of driving to any other school in your Board to report to work when my husband has to risk his neck driving 2.5 hours one-way to report to his work or he doesn't get paid. I can't just show up at any office around the corner from me and say "Hi, I'm here to sell something!" She thinks only teachers and students shouldn't have to risk their lives during bad weather. She doesn't care about the parents - they are "adults and not as important" as, I don't know, say her brother and dad who are POLICE OFFICERS and my sister who is a NURSE. Once again, careers they didn't just happen to come across yet they work harder than anyone I've ever known and don't complain about it. Yes, she actually said she was more important because she is a teacher. Sorry, but if anarchy breaks out in Ontario, I'm staying close to the cop and nurse thank you very much. My kid will be with them too. She wasn't happy when I said that but it was honest and her statement was just so ridiculous I couldn't not comment. LOL

I'm just sick of this whole thing. I have loved every one of the teachers my daughter has had. They obviously love their jobs and are dedicated professionals who have generally cared about my child. I volunteer at the school and I know a few of the teachers very well as well outside of school as our children are friends. I see how difficult their job can be - one of my friends is a SERT and I have witnessed her being verbally and physically assaulted by a student - but I've also witnessed the joy and pride when they see when something has "clicked" and a student who has been struggling with something finally "gets it". The teachers I know are fantastic people and are amazing teachers but they spew this union rhetoric sometimes (like DH's cousin) and it makes me want to cringe. I want to scream "YOU ARE AN EDUCATED, INFORMED, INTELLIGENT, PROFESSIONAL ADULT! FORM YOUR OWN OPINION AND GO WITH IT!"

*jumping off my soapbox now*

Perhaps a mixed message, but a message nonetheless. The trick for the union is to keep an escalating pressure on the government while trying minimize the impact on education. It is a very difficult dance to do. Of course our local media keeps reporting that it is about the money, when the teachers aren't asking for any. It is ALL about the quality of the education and government whittling away at foundations of our education system.

When I compare the quality of the infrastructure and programs that my kids currently have to those that I had in the 70's, it is VERY easy to identify how far down that slope we have already slid. And the government continues to whittle away at the base, increasing the slide. I fully support the teachers in their quest to keep education important; and I have a son in grade 12 who stood to pay some very dear prices for this in his final year before the PS teachers settled; but there is MORE at stake in the Elementary level. The pain of today's students will be the gain of generations to come if the teachers can stick to their guns.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter