• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT:My 3yr old swallowed a screw on Monday night

Disneyforus

Lover of all things Disney
and am wondering if any of you have had any experience with this in your families. Our pediatrican said it should pass without problem.:eek: :confused3 I of course am freakinig out that there is some pointy object floating around in my sons gut!! They said to take him to the ER immediatlely if he starts vomitting, gets a fever, or has severe stomach pains. Great, now that's comforting.:sad2: So, we still haven't seen the "screw" and was told if we don't see it in 48 hours we have to take him in for an xray. So, my question for you all is.....If this has happened to your family how long did it take to pass the object?

Sorry, this is kind of a yucky subject. I'm losing sleep with worry.

My friend's daughter swallowed a toy piece last year. She was told it would typically take 3 to 4 days to pass, but could take longer. Every day for nearly two weeks, my friend searched her daughters poo for it and it finally passed.

If the screw doesn't show up, you'll be able to take comfort with the x-ray and know for sure that it's on its way out.

I'm sure everything is going to be okay. :)

We must have the same pediatrician:laughing: My daughter swallowed a necklace w/ a charm on it over Christmas break and they told us the exact same thing pretty much. I probed poop for 2 days and she finally passed it so no xrays. They were not concerned about it in the least at the doc's office!

OMG sometimes I am thankful to live in Canada well Ontario as our medical is covered (most of it eg going to Dr, ER, etc...) I would have gone either to the ER or if i went to my Dr I know they would have taken an X-Ray as who knows what it has gotten it self into.

Hope everything turns out well

Robyn

My son swallowed an upholstery tack when he was 3 - he was supposed to be upstairs taking a nap - he announced from the top of the stairs "I swallowed it" - I was feeding his 6 week old brother at the time. I asked him what he swallowed - he wasn't sure but that maybe he need cough medicine. I called the doctor and brought him in, they did an x-ray at the time they said it was sideways in his esophagus and that he needed surgery. They had us drive him to the hospital (1 1/2 away) --by the time we got there they did another xray while he sang the leg bone is connected to thigh bone, etc - anyhow by the time they took the second x-ray it has moved down and they told me to take him home and let it pass - it did within the next 48 hours - I had to keep checking the diaper which wasn't fun but he passed it without a problem. I'm sure your son will be fine.

The screw has passed!! :cheer2: He started complaining that his stomach hurt, and by the time he woke up from nap he was still complaining. There was no way I was going to be able to wait until morning to do the xray, so I called my pediatrician and they said to take him to the ER. Well, there wasn't anything on the xray....the doctor of course is asking "Are you sure he swallowed it?" I am 99.9% sure he did, he must have used the bathroom without me knowing.:confused3

Anyway, whew...glad that is over!
Now I can get back to my Disney planning!:dance3:

Thanks to all of you for your kind words!!!:flower3:

Please watch your son, x rays could have missed it. Just monitor him for pain, nausea, and kind of bleeding from below... anything out of the ordinary...hopefully the film was correct. Yea...happy bananna dance :banana:

My daughter was 17 months old when we heard her choking in her car seat. When we pulled over we couldn't find her hairbrette. (The little clasp kind they sell in the baby and toddler section of the stores.)
Our Ped said to go ahead and have her xrayed in the morning just to be sure it had made it into the stomach. We took her for her xray, and sure enough, there was a little barette with a butterfly on the end sitting in her stomach. Anyway, it passed two days later. That will always be something we'll remember!

When I was little I also put a screw in my mouth. Except I didn't swallow it I choked on it. Next thing I know my parents are hanging me upside down (they didn't know jack about heimlich or anything in the 70's). But it came out and I lived to tell about it. :cool1:

My sister's little boy swollowed a lego. He was 5 and they were appropriate size for his age, but kids can suprise you. It to passed, but not before she went to ER and got x-ray. Of course being a boy he thought it was cool that you could see the toy inside him. My sister explained that it was not cool and she made him drink prune juice until it passed. Passing it made him see the light. He dosn't put legos anywhere near his mouth anymore.

:sulley:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter