OT. St Petersburg FL.. anyone live there?

Like most cities, St. Pete has good areas and not so good areas. It encompasses most of the southern part of Pinellas county. Pinellas county is a heavily populated p/e/n/i/n/s/u/l/a. There is no sparseness between cities. There is a lot of areas you could live outside of St. Pete like Largo, Seminole, Clearwater and only be a 20 to 30 minute drive during rush hour to St. Pete if that is where your job is gonna be. There are numerous beaches in Pinellas county, one in particular at Fort Desoto has won the best beach award and is always close to the top of the list when it doesn't win. Lots of malls in the area. The school system has it's good ones and bad ones so you may want to look into that and let that help in your decision of where to live. We also have pro baseball with the Rays (even though they really sucked this year) across the bay in Tampa is pro football and hockey so if the kids like sports they're covered. Tampa also has Busch Gardens, The Museum of Science and Industry and Lowery Park Zoo. Overall it is a good place to live but home owners insurance is pricey and if you buy a house that's older a lot of companies won't even talk to you.

We live in north Pinellas and love it. There is so much to do, so close, like pp said. The area we live in is great for kids.

thanks so much for all your info. DH is being transfered there. DD is 3 so we need to know as much as we can. We are in NC noe so it is not too much different weather wise. I am getting a little more excited now that I am hearing good things. Oh and Disney being so close is a deal maker!!

We live about an hour and a half north of St. Pete and have been looking into houses there. There's a lot of old florida charm there. There are a ton of parks and small beaches plus museums and theatres. Like any city there are certainly bad neighborhoods. You definitely want someone who knows the area to help you out house hunting.

Though Tampa, Miami and Orlando just made it onto the list of worst cities to raise children. I'd say that is primarily due to Florida's education system.

Like most cities, St. Pete has good areas and not so good areas. It encompasses most of the southern part of Pinellas county. Pinellas county is a heavily populated p/e/n/i/n/s/u/l/a. There is no sparseness between cities. There is a lot of areas you could live outside of St. Pete like Largo, Seminole, Clearwater and only be a 20 to 30 minute drive during rush hour to St. Pete if that is where your job is gonna be. There are numerous beaches in Pinellas county, one in particular at Fort Desoto has won the best beach award and is always close to the top of the list when it doesn't win. Lots of malls in the area. The school system has it's good ones and bad ones so you may want to look into that and let that help in your decision of where to live. We also have pro baseball with the Rays (even though they really sucked this year) across the bay in Tampa is pro football and hockey so if the kids like sports they're covered. Tampa also has Busch Gardens, The Museum of Science and Industry and Lowery Park Zoo. Overall it is a good place to live but home owners insurance is pricey and if you buy a house that's older a lot of companies won't even talk to you.

:sad2:You make me miss Florida SO bad...I grew up in Holiday, right by Tarpon Springs and just got moved to Killeen Texas!:scared1: Gotta love the Army!!!

I live in Tampa so not that far away!! It is a ton of fun with lots to do! But then you can also have your down time! There is also Busch Gardens, MOSI, and the Lowry Park Zoo.. so plenty to do if you have kids. I also do recommend Fort Desoto... one of the best beaches!! And while it is hot and humid you cant beat being in the swimming pool almost all year long!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter