OT: Vienna

starvenger

DIS Veteran
So my wife’s firm is flying people out to Vienna for a conference, and lucky me - spouses are invited! Wondering if anyone has recommendations on things to see or eat. They’ve actually given us a couple of tours - Schonbrunn palace one day, Bratislava, Slovakia another day. I think we’ve got nighttime activities, but given it’s a bunch of accountants, I’m guessing it will be drinking (the stereotype is real :( ).

Personally I’d like to do something involving Mozart or Beethoven. Thoughts?

Fun! Haven't been to Vienna since I was backpacking as a teenager, so nothing to suggest, but it was beautiful! And even though it has been 20+ years, I still remember the bread. It was delicious. (Again, backpacking - lived on bread and make-our-own sandwiches!)

Fun! Haven't been to Vienna since I was backpacking as a teenager, so nothing to suggest, but it was beautiful! And even though it has been 20+ years, I still remember the bread. It was delicious. (Again, backpacking - lived on bread and make-our-own sandwiches!)
Nothing wrong with bread. I do get the feeling that this trip won’t require diy sandwiches though...

I wish I had suggestions for you, Vienna is on my bucket list!

I am sure you will have an incredible time. I would check out the European forums on Fodors.com, yelp and tripadvisor. I usually sift through those sites to find things to do in new places.

Look into the schedule at the opera house or concert hall. There are probably Mozart concerts scheduled regularly.

See the Jewish quarter with its tragic history from WW2.

Vienna is a wonderful walking city. Beautiful buildings and monuments and gardens. And there is easy to access public trolley system.

Depending on what time of year you are going the ChristmAs markets may be open.

If you can spend extra time before or after Budapest is not that far. Incredible city.

Or go for the Austrian mountains and get to Salzburg.

Try the sausages and of course the Sacher torte.

We went in 2013 for 4 days (early arrival from Paris and afternoon departure to Barcelona). We watched a mini-opera at the opera house (arrival night) and had an opera dinner at the Schonbrunn Palace (Day 2). We also visited the zoo and saw the pandas (Day 2). We had an amazing and gastronomical lunch at Steirereck (2 Michelin stars) before our flight to Barcelona. We took a day trip to Salzburg to visit Mozart's house (Day 3). DD was working on her ARCT (piano)at the time and really enjoyed the visit. Mozart is one of our favourites. We also took another day trip to Prague (Day 4). I would love to go back and take more time exploring the city.

Thanks guys. I'm actually heading out Sunday night. Don't think I'll be able to get out to Budapest as the company itinerary restricts us a bit. But walking (or metro) tours are definitely on the table.

Nothing to add -- just super jealous PLUS gotta love google paying attention to what I'm up to -- this ad is now hovering on my pages :rolleyes1
upload_2018-10-11_20-52-42.png

I have nothing to add...but wow...how lucky and I'm so happy people get surprise trips like this!!! How amazing. Enjoy your trip. I would love to hear more of what you all did when you get back :)

So I've been back for about a week, and I gotta say - this was an amazing trip!

We flew out on Sunday the 14th. Overnight flight, as one might expect. Except that it took off at 6pm, meaning when we arrived it was about 2am EDT. So sleep really didn't happen on the plane for us. Except takeoff, where I normally check out right after the safety demo and sleep for about 30 minutes.

Regardless, the firm really took care of us. Once we got out of the baggage claim area they had a guy take us to some chartered buses (there were probably 100 people on the flight going to the AGM) and straight on to the Hilton Vienna (by the stadtpark). And even though it was 8:30am, we got to check in. Which was great, because we got into our room, got some things straightened out, and slept for about 3 hours.

After that, I discovered that I brought the wrong adapters, as I had UK plugs but no European plugs. Fortunately the mall across the way had a Best Buy-type store that had the adapters we needed. They also had a "ramen" place that did not serve ramen. Rather, it was a hand-cut northern Chinese-style noodle. Completely unexpected in Austria - but quite good as well!

After eating we decided to wander. Not really sure how we managed it but our random walking got us to St. Stephen's Cathedral and the City Centre. It was really pretty. Well, except for the fact they were seemingly sponsored by Tommy Hilfiger.
kTj0ahMe2bAuinVhWD_HC6Ce-y99xZPhq_buRCQ3FbdjkkERDKF4Wj4zsfz2_VtLdUAlP_UzGXQRFQH7mhNmqlxln-9Kuf2vDej4MYqPchP20TyaEoqeeuJy7F5IzfVsla71qOFD

q1DGOLy7yJmj9ARA85JPKzsHaeusmZgdnaEO8atbqJPyLWxCAS00-0yFVoA4-mIfCakTT5BVROPuvu9hT0X_0mAPHAdeLdXZj-XkOkSlm7mPBRqNYsGS0KqBZFQX9obs_3O-tKc5

Regardless, we got back, showered, and got dressed for the reception. Which despite taking up two floors and the hotel lobby, was still super crowded. Food was ok. It was allegedly Austrian favourites, but some of the foods seemed more Scandinavian than Austrian, if that makes sense. Also, accountants can drink a LOT. Or maybe I'm just getting old and don't want to drink as much as I used to. We did get a bit fatigued, so we called it a night around 10pm.

Tuesday saw us get our first excursion - Schonbrunn Palace. Lots of history in this place, and just going around and learning about the rooms and the aristocracy was very interesting. Unfortunately no pictures were allowed to be taken inside the palace, but take my word for it - it’s beautiful.

gomShlufPzK_r88OLtdXPmAZiCWaCdsZD2OOkVEHwRT3MdnEyFbOh500GpYcLNzBvswaG38pYM7w40Z71EVWKAxvB2JgcGLmG1AehWgEJ44_DVFnXzyWCb77FzoFpUHqbrtGstVy
t1vo8leHActd_3gvNGicYuh2WbqGVmG-1tsSr9B3iI_aBYZjf-YuxpN6hV-h63ZQLj5UkEIdn5OV4pj7l4rGx3O936dye16ak5MwzIENaVM_DWePUEgmN5ZzFsD_89qV875zsI5S
IhSyx-hpvfUVJyXkO3CTCyxFzb00r_u87LJrElf8eCQslT01Qgd2RAtlXDuUtAPHRjhADTXcB_hUVCsqzzM8jEd2U7UNH1ueK2zIgpeCMjzUJOT-8220MA3hKLI3C6k2xosNwkxD
Q_8Shscc0wM1hEz5I2QLnkdYMLJoEG8ks4P0yDajUM45jNDjGpqs9Wp4kY_RZ1o5JoRQeOJies_7eiA-3dKv5zVKQwb4bEIjE8gDqbDzYSlO66sReEGyyRuj6r_WI3k3mWllXFUo
fugKGH8FbHEnYJyxLlaWvIYW6gjGaHYMIgopCllx6kTih33yzKU05YC6dKXk4RhMnuK3cefwYqL2r4GKhEOfb3LUXvPPdEGYI8XKUWdoDj7FCf8Fh0h8qBPR3Ro1s1guPF49YR6W

BWidI27cuQiPiiuWv2kYt4U271HuuXVqCDw-R83Wk05Joar7z-fXycHgoRjMI0js-XUIXUc4BI92AmGY9huJAVpNlqKxdD8QhY_ndmxGjIZQr9aN92XihClFopk56Vpwi_R6LS7t
Ci7cNl_lS6YcPYF38Y6j-GXIfaqfEL6-DGpL7NBABd9dXpsLoYsur2YMhrdJ_oCknK8jdluMuJ4Xye4R8V9VwBzPeNJq8xjRFtdC3C5_C24EIVd8JnVQFQpkwhaB1HHBlJCql7U0

After the tour we had lunch in a restaurant/dinner theatre at the edge of the property. Fairly bland 3-course meal. After lunch, we went back to city centre, where we got a quick walking tour of the Hofburg Palace grounds and city center before heading to Kursalon Wien where we got a quick 1 hour concert featuring Strauss and Mozart. Very cool - and relaxing, seeing as we had been walking pretty much the entire day.

p_KgOc2sWAw57sHMnIWhwXdd6DiYqP5Jn8Tk5uxDC6A0wBG7OsSi1tky82B9_hlSB3uDLRawTVuylEHXWQTejWu3tZWWS6cmHGSBvgtCj0-tZmnHaDOG9n6DrtLBsOmO_Jlqg_qq

Now because the firm is so large, they decided that 2 out of the four nights we’d have small dinner groups of 8 going to various restaurants in and around the city centre. Pretty cool idea, except for the folks that got to eat at Jamie’s Italian. No offense to Mr. Oliver, of course, but it’s kind of a letdown to go to Vienna, expect some local-style international food, and get Italian food from a British celebrity chef. Besides which, I’ve eaten at Jamie’s. (spoiler alert: it’s pretty good).

In any event, we did draw an Italian restaurant, Huth da Moritz. The menu was reasonably priced, and we got some “antipasto” platters which functioned more like sampler platters than a traditional antipasto… but it was quite good. There was arancini, a beef tartare, proscuitto and a ball of fresh mozzarella.

Dinner however, was outstanding. I had a grilled calamari, and my wife had grilled dorada. Neither item is local, of course, but it was prepared and cooked nicely. The fish especially, as it was quite simply prepared with some lemon, oil and herbs.

vpkREAC0NIdRzKY5k3gGjm_6o91sd80jm347cSob_9av2wbVgoLEJQ3sZd7xA98ehNPta4Ceeur344rRfkP9Xefq72B-_epP3KPkwFTfcqLtjB4hlgmjwvFCQ8ig_wm5QB9saol1
byh5-mitF4VE_BtzqeOggf7r63DocM__2NJDEnKRQpIFGYkD3b0QgUdPfzlwX4q_8HQWZYfVa9pIsjzNSGj64MjZKsK1BAgPb7nZgVzQhS0t6BtsCYXw4b6mAceEOFeWZ8FOH5Av

Wednesday was the first half day of the actual AGM, so I had a morning to myself. Because of that I really just wandered around the city centre and looked for souvenirs.

In the afternoon my wife and I went around the Ring a bit more, since we hadn’t really explored beyond that. But she was a bit tired so we didn’t stay out too long, heading back to the hotel so she could take a nap.

hUOASqv6MyZiyEJYVLhVu348UbfXIrZCd6GGNIdqt4wX1vldd3-Aa29pf7K2MhG5QMeCUhi3oe5JgaZpE-39hPwslC5xxjDp-6TI_GG0kqxxdKFvTIOgk4Frcpq1hzf6nc-IavIt
CGMurWWfcQLgEqihRBZ36Ke33Ti838rLoIhuNm_OxgYACRN14hDxv4rNYotn8Fw31ySK91j2mJmZBTJQ86HfRc0250KOeEukGMIoR20pXwPrGDyx0lZ2VsA1Ei8ge4zXcH-LVyR2
RfS_ovgd3aZl0VsWv1U3k-UuHx-K8s4vfObZIKS3s15Fa8KE25pao14aC1u4TlvdEhDBNhP33UIzdoVg8GBv2rS2btU3uMrLP5eteaCUGdlbEfBuHn1zuT6ohYFqB6Em_0nXhRcL
5dmI8FYKv5nkXXI_E8BBtiJy8tBr7RrUQCj9jqGZSi5_uICdeYhJmKFakOdctHb1km5hEsBaYxsQHtUStc44QNV5k7HIaL92oUx3diaG20PKX2uy-bogmnbEFvwFpalFraEUGmyK
Nrry5rNsFya2cY0sSItvGYPH_cb0l0llzziRc9bOZOtoiameONTfpEh9h02zrCxGqc06Stu8YeLCzbMgxYq4TDRkj9DePx2IATh4OD6JqGB25hdCIeI9sw0tHxk2NgPTDBleO4uZ

Dinner was at a wine tavern on the outskirts of Vienna. It was an interesting place as it was almost like a beer hall, but in somebody’s well-maintained garden. Unfortunately that is probably the most positive thing I can say about the place. The wine was good, no question there, but the food was… very fried. They had schnitzel, of course, but I think the strain of making so much fried cutlets for so many caused it to be very dry and hard to eat.

And then there were the flies.

GYpoxtq-eGL9oAR8xXr0ZycTZAbopl_iJfaL52YiL0OXsrNCu4EBSWxpXwL597IUHMC6S8yJ6n7ROTS7PriIM2yPUc1BPaZGqm7-0F260DRRcffBkGVcRnWGmF8Rt1gPTGjOdwzh

Enough said. Fortunately, they were not fans of the white wine.

When the first busses were offered at 9:30 we took it and got back to the hotel. Where somehow, the “hospitality area” was already in full swing. Did I mention that accountants like to drink?

Next up: Bratislava and Melk

Loving the little trip report...and I just have to say...you and your wife are just adorable!!1 I love the picture of you two. I can't even imagine the history that they have. It is mind blowing.

Thursday saw us on the second of two excursions, and one I was quite looking forward to - Bratislava, Slovakia. Originally this was meant to include a one-way cruise down the Danube from Vienna to Bratislava, but water levels were low, so no dice.

So having poor geographical knowledge of this part of Europe, I learned that Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest (Hungary) are all within a 5 hour drive of one another, so in theory one could visit all three in a day. Not today, of course, and given the current political climate in Hungary it’s probably not advisable for me to go there regardless.

Bratislava, of course, was in the Eastern Bloc for quite a while, and some of the architecture reflects the Communist stylings of the Cold War era. We got a tour of the historic centre (Old Town), featuring many historic buildings and some remnants of city walls and such. It’s an interesting place as at times names such as Lizst, Mozart, Beethoven and Hans Christian Anderson have been in the city at one point or another. It’s also not as commercial as Vienna’s city centre (also centred around the old town), so gets a different sense of atmosphere when visiting the area.

qPFXWMnKH3sNCH7mJ1DRA6m7VN9EQZg_bxvAlCm3UOv_6lIXXgxsILS9G_Q_T-AvIXu7qvGBTf5Hc88S3G_xudRypVuDjAmSwR8FGgxYPb6wKMvTO5GmOY4bzjurQLTXFGI8rQmo

M9_LDRZY2P_r9PxVMqw_ToLEGXpMVOUsftczTI1PVlqs7tKKZIon_OeBx1n1eG1bgV_fQcV2QcRXsqsvXYIZPeLtXcZ67MZWU-_emrZxKGQrJ41r8xpgg5dfL9fPallH5JXstTLj

AJgRg1O8uIhJuw7BezmDK40fMy-tGry7TiLJy9VhE0w8BqJERyNPV1omjItJqPmS2ZgptaLiGlvCcSRW520k434kkXN24UWw1d2DkfIjb13JMyFlxh9lXCAcyW6jb81pRodtivCC

n0aNDplSQ9bv4Uky-WHmOwvf-dcHWc2HTZmib0QJOCJ2MjX32LKYtWCzpIkfLtoOjMJP-e4ia42ax2lnERuzwtRDgPf85qBgGz-VuXfiDB-aq8BXpSgISavedq5rpMBGlQ7BCnJ2

VS2VDhPrQ1rlA1yL765E4yGYPN6ZOUui_nSi37J-RTwN6sOeF57-WkkMb8p8tywHtvHxWe-rMr4_VfAL1AKxzVaZBEBEedHfgV4Jvj7g5BiMH7sfzeqni1Lvit4GFaj4lPUEORDm

While walking around, we got a local delicacy known as a Rozky or bajgel - basically a crescent pastry with a sweet walnut or poppyseed filling. Quite delicious! And it helped tide us over until lunchtime.

o-V9WGXuyCIPLx5KcANSN3dnMlxkgtMaWmmQNBQeoj5wx6WUI2iJaXPolSB_hoAg6uijZIjyGDfkofTU0iuS5TOjxSdT9vrERWaEjpGQIgJQiERTFrrc-7-P7LP_etnNV_HotXxr

pZ3DUkZOg6Odol6ssd9b4TkcK_SELCq30cPP602aQIvnwlmuNGmciVhGr4H9SPJOXjrrGCuPjgHzjRZ0zRhnvQWZODGheub9rOfzbGkrG5YcdhFU0_0zVk2ZW4UrP5JUGg2p6rBO

After visiting Old Town, we headed up to Bratislava Castle. Due to time considerations we didn’t get to go inside and explore the castle, but the view from the castle grounds was quite impressive, given it’s location high up on a hill.

vjKyMD8b-B5P-4lYkZggnSIwZS34fD6It_ykLYRcZrWJz_x72Xox5qLvUOrnW2w_K1BwG-x1U_ZEM6EpjOnezI3CaFDd0IzcxISbGN-D7D5ZGKK1qz7Vk6xp9peIdK1GKRoIVTZs

T7cUrYiDivSoG6Un5jy2yGJEtTPApklG6-57vCsqXa4mf6rzDJpfVHONsUd3cUHnx10oAxU_FTgJFVcvrraZJJMlZjXOyCOVGnXsTlHTkWFsXGcjhjPKkPQg0nkgTpcXfq2X9uA2

rkVDAZ_HYCpghEBaMp3dM28h1Nzp57fumjLNJdTXXsu9JFSzA6ZdFoaKc4J36_fY7G7Hvug71EX5QNlWpIs67ytbEK50PpaWLuUpq8Qk6SUemkh55Ko4Jhk4ja2mvLoUD5aifNpS

Lunch was at a restaurant on the castle grounds. Where we got… wienerschnitzel. And Sacher torte. Perhaps not surprising given the proximity to Vienna, but still. With that said, the schnitzel was much better than the previous night’s effort, and the torte - which I hadn’t had yet - was as good as I’ve heard, albeit a bit too sweet for me to finish.

After lunch, we went back down to Old Town to do some individual exploring. But, danger was lurking around every corner, as there were many handmade (and also “handmade”) souvenirs that caught our eye. Prices were also quite good, which was a bit of a contrast to the prices in the more cosmopolitan Vienna.

x2dDVZsSkKB2qS3OSX4x_vC1PY3WVU4nI7dp07Ux3BZ9LdQNU4-COXSXoIDzTx4FGPbGBno1c96hzVMEN5OrXDV_1OObebX-k85H1OYKLCcNu3tnJ_FDslSCoRboMhUd2FsMSz6v

wBtRhwBZJvgFuLeObmptg7k_Vu8Wuu1ndPIgqFNYHQtgNSjPyIucW9dZcgptbZWbMZDyaqDVge5yE9vct9lsze1oRM2IG_ZD46BkxdCEj6xjpy298fXX8hSH9JJ8MV68PMd5UVfK

We got back to the hotel around 4:30, so plenty of time to get ready for our second group dinner. This time, we were at an Austrian restaurant called Fuhrich, in the city centre, named after the owner/host. The food here is probably categorized as modern Austrian, as you had several “greatest hits” items (schnitzel, pig knuckles, boiled beeef), but updated for today’s palates. Well, mostly - hard to improve on a giant breaded fried cutlet.

I got the braised ox cheeks. My first time having them, and they were excellent. Le got a steak, which looked good, but it - and another person’s steak - was very underdone - if it was a seared tuna it would be perfect. Unfortunately it was a steak. We asked to get it reheated and it was, well, nuked. Not impressed, although as they say on the food shows, the flavour was there. So overall, 1 for 2 on entrees. But still, a good way to end the day.

Z8EnUq-OdPLXYT1oLbOh40iJei7AE1GgVJ2f-Mri0BLb-N2OnYKNQJToB3gDBTO3Hz6gzSND7trsMOTL2f1KNG54vZu0F-AXvfwwHVm2Xse4vxRvOqh44d-pUkpTwaY7M2gEac1M

x9sMJktwwPC9Rmg82ZqKhqIse5mQepdQMUp07TWB-PoSY3DXxlKSofMoGx9aEQoVoCwikkal15n6HbrCTvSXi7D0vySp0su2Zgo9288EBQ1jOD5zgQ2iFaAJRACzhbxAc8rpu40s

Friday was the second morning of AGM meetings, so I was on my own. Le suggested that I head out on my own to Melk and the Wachau valley, while she stayed in town and explored some of the city with colleagues. I was a bit reluctant - sometimes it’s hard to do things without your constant travel companion of 15+ years - but with her encouragement I worked out the travel logistics.

Ideally I would’ve explored the entire Wachau valley via boat or bike, but time constraints required that I get back to the hotel by around 5pm to get ready for the gala and I couldn’t find anything that would allow for that. So Melk it was.

Travel was relatively easy, as the metro station was right by the hotel. Figuring out how to get tickets though… a little more confusing. I first went into the subway ticket office, and when I said I wanted to go to Melk, they said to go to the train ticket office around the corner. And when I went to the train ticket office… they told me to take the subway to the train station and get my ticket there. Frustrating, but that’s why I built in some “Kevin is confused about where to get tickets” time into my travel calculations.

So I purchased the subway ticket using the automated vendor and headed to the train station - basically 6 stops on the subway line. Got to the train station, and purchased my ticket to Melk using the automated vendor. It was at this point that I realized that, had I simply done this right off the bat, I would’ve saved myself some time and money (the 2.4 Euro subway ticket). Lesson learned.

Oh, and an interesting thing about the commuter system in Vienna was that there was no gates or turnstiles to go through. It’s basically the honour system and if an agent asks you to scan your ticket you allow them to do so. But I digress.

The first thing I noticed when I got to Melk was that it was 10am and there was a dense layer of fog. The sky was still overcast and while you could see Melk Abbey in the hills, it was slightly obscured. Still, I was there, and if the sky didn’t clear up I was still going to make the best of things.

6lOBckEEqCG3Je-B4Cq6nMg4kmZJDpt1M6sOwxJJMgFD2_ITqc8hp5cg1oSQtD0H99zfR2VGMjlFp12YvaKBjzN4lyoxxZQBs7n0raBnmKFoGNzLy7ySX74koEpICoZoztivFNIa

uF7bg78uJRsVnZZicj3l5npBj4uNtunbZLOqfn-tdN1VtXgrdhpExG5Q3WjzPhcWd_ubjSshWAnnh8rlEzMXuTv96XWt2tnfD6JE3wiN2TYruOnb0M98eHWsZxKK5WgWE_inNXPU

The tourist centre had some walking guides which was helpful as you could go at your own pace, look at the landmarks and take in the provided information. It was a nice walk up the hill to the Abbey, where I purchased a ticket to go inside.

QXWb1yrlzuKOlSgBrezaMwk7Q0sIsxzgzO24DKUM5q7l2a_WMEVuDzYw4dMUhE5dtrZ6Kp7GS81ZGMRFySJDZVX0jux2gAYHt7meJ2an9h936FRTlt8EZVb_O800BtX2fNMBQBtF

86IxmZu_Y1vpXT4jkgTZSr1b-vkmmu0FLw1FZIf2r7nXKGQnqumIdiXUG4Jf0-IioF05DPiLkwyQDmHY14ENGcccXEGb13zGov3V5ORqBY8x7IJPMh-p30z9vrKRVI0mDuw6Dl2z

9x-fABQf51x_CfuRpvdh1szStSD2Arj3bcZ4in2RX1C40zo_RGONAhFPBOv4ZcFASoVqpr2cqLflgw44HRfXw6K8tNZZhqE85Fk5OS-8nTs_eyVOD2ebxYOwavavQ7hpzncl3ly0

The Abbey halls (which you’re not allowed to take pictures of) contained a museum with artifacts and information on it’s history. Interesting, but the big features of the interior were the great hall, the library and the cathedral, which were all gorgeous. I took some time taking it all in.

jsmWc9VmBdWK9w0OPAH6E_M3G-WsQKQsnDW5Q4zKZcGCIQBWD9dz2Gx9qEUpaMZhhQRnypKHGz4yNjh90qVIzA4CpduGBSPdTk3lS_3qUJhIsEhkdkx1JWYnmlIfqbeNsRsBooNZ

FDr2w2Eb9jy2furrj2K2vDrBX35HQ_C_I3bpzQlcZHFhQQYRliGPqnVU9Ll-BUxPDEIuqV5SXy56hI3qUEkrEN2tq3PdDhKrzTL4BHJ1frvbgZK4CVmGx4ib5it2L14pluaTuW7j

vrbYgxV3EhtsiIHUOdDEPCm9Z0-PIUUNWX6KNKWOKiCIgsIVF8HCUr_lLs7oxZSWskslX3Db-Wbzs_c23puWOdmylXDQ4niKza4fR_KFyZnMB1VxW44RRULXvnO5GD6ZfizW50Rz

GVCQNCju3XjJ43_jQG-90vqsuszlMWf1nTm-yxyBiKdAzZ2Cb8Jw_hYB1KYFFGBp7VzUWy5qenGn11E4ZDO1_KKHum0YejAXPpz7iJ2_L6HjraaZWT5l5fQe7khez5QaqrhFNIBH

SUB2VeKVLXuzNJxdXCz2T9tqeDR76MNT1TVhV53ZXHtgVXD2ObB0SfDMU5_16bLYvaPUKiA-8vBYo0agBULn3_85pDlsNoA527E_B6HB66POyZIcMDALdPmteFxoHYLmipljJxUY

NTdwZmPPocQvrtiYrml5Q8i5ige_h-2xB3z2_j6Q2aLh29oPKfe1lKXap_Ws-nTcKKqJ_-EhZPPdVH71R15dB2f9OHAPtiwjhItAqF7bt6055dexnKhZZvXRMnkpRJGC_A41v6bo

As I left the Abbey, the skies were (fortunately) clearing up, and as I walked around the gardens I was able to take some nice pictures. Heading back down to the town I followed the guide a bit more before sitting down at a cafe for lunch.

b6KIXlymJvg9bON96CNh7VqTtH2AFalytpzN7vYPQ1bhf9Bxn4dI4mmtDi6BSqeNuN7UTG4dIyb4PnvsvFNFQX2gqR7-QD0dr1oO5rCBSSubc5pPSSNYOcxFeNJ8DjPMaLMRtiNf

tk1aONcWVGeZVDyiSPoKrTRk_TrBtcSUulHEBaF8_G5n8B7cn6OqDZODoUYqNs9Qy5tQyFS_09zXqVLKpGnYc9e5jVeAHd9NytLT2LqruauLiI_-KJs_X3TizDHZaLDfVFvv71pz

l2Tt-jwpE2Gy1u2zxDCXyaKTuSBVGTzp1pkFQjqnVxkhBd83CMBgQGv1RGoT5xrRdZBTH30BPVogVgQLPCXDOqkkJeSBSJIuGrxSNj8gNAJSvNcUauP6FUBfM6QcMhcbRFchYYyw

UjeMUDBlwD0WcwMuCDDHM9ry3TmPnWlWTS2maBipLFK2NoOEHCB3kKEEwgg-OwXQ53QHun3VnfR9f45AySnS3MDqAw_cQaUzYdqfD6zIj9-pps-BTeB_xgjw3TLrJ3swEB-Iuyg1

Looking at the menu, I ordered what was described as a Wachau valley favourite, but kind of looked like a skillet breakfast to me.

3tCczwhW10Qe-Ow7cQHaYhPj5DGfzQ8lxww-t8u1W4D1KRxTy946fVyd_XnSRizF4d3AtoAiU5ocB4TMe_7toBcBHk6yzl6Rbd2qvKtrjtMNydGveoFg9h-N5OYg2ZY0ubIoD0YN

Not gonna lie, it hit the spot. But I'm a sucker for a runny egg.

Once back in Vienna it was time to get ready for the closing gala. The conceit of this was that you were assigned a palace for dinner, then would head over to the Hofburg palace for the gala event. Seems like a rough assignment, I have to say.

As with all the group events we took a bus over, and it turned out that we were eating in the Liechtenstein Palace. And this place was incredible.

Eocb68RKSxidcYlzt7PuD-C9uYcOA7ddxAvZygjAFIYt73CNq5w3-cQgkpt-Z9lgF1JKBH_aaM4EOZJ_PHlFRDAhwiYjdJaEfTME6y-2pG6cNavtUjjoUi2Djff9ACPHD01puG_s

9IbNxzgWD6NVdnx8qCJfUIpEHVVII0woDvYCFrf9mRs_E7Ah5AnLML-r-S95Rbst_Vthc3PefW6kXaZR9fF-qnYItDj6hx4SAhEqGEuCBoW1OsYGnrLPyzC-LRulzsP45w1X9VOq

Xd7TbhJyi4LSklImaDkB9SCTjynIoCdx7_aJ2Q4mvfEiizaSD50RobGynMumg9LkeRZEkJIhKc-aXRWmW-k7xzKD0d6mQ36XVuEjSIMwONM9rFGSeKRYOuj5xJNK48cO-F5t1oZv

gkWyI-_lp0wLIORNtpSUOhxghPSNbRGcV4vQZWgrJyeocL0ZMbyNp4EQIIcKUHX1RxLwO6NX1-xZFO79Dn5m575VttsHGy7dmavybf-TlNK-LzMRS_OIGTWkFIGfPePL2DCqJPR3

First course was a pumpkin soup with a cardamom cracker. The cracker was… interesting, but the soup was quite tasty.

91ezrWyU5dbRH4PN8DaIe97zQkGSTBaJBG_OUr8rhn-1lX1jXgFUiiBPyKFjaL0TwbPZdoldDViq7Gxg8-Spl1EWmfsUqBOHHy69R93ewuWJJ19VlxVnIDGbZnuqJ0g1hmsqun6h

Second course was a beef tenderloin. The beef was super tender, and the jus was full of flavour.

0VonR5S3kYRt_1jzSMe2b1ND0PdeMVznI6j5TkX0FGHrpujSNCLI2yBy9V1QEZG5r20a7VFWOIj62pKUwMIc8WrYUNqieLDzQ_WrIZ2aIfshALL4bZVZzQLZiFO_5sdzuFNLnn7m

Dessert was a hazelnut tart with figs and a lemon sorbet. And by hazelnut, I mean “tastes like Nutella”. Not a bad thing in my mind. And everything worked together, no no complaints, really.

oqTQl7XUnMZXA-qaJ4EzIJJK0WK3a-a9gBudvUhthD1Zf3RQ5Qq5rfcfwetPyuC_-qxiR6UOVtdaZ7FsWRd-2dGJdNY0g_uk6eT3xiPr--YKQOYJ8s8Zhw7MTEbYyFHuItD7ngsm

After dinner, we took a short walk over to the Hofburg Palace. It kicked off with a “debutante waltz” and featured a lot of different live entertainment acts. My only real regret was not taking more photos.

etqm8byqHvHo4dc8KTMIT6Vi_EKN-cH4qvsFBHutk_Q6zzsG2Vg28sbpHuBeCCrVM_SpOMwj9EQhII0VfD3UNfcbDw1gdQwRchMFKohVAxHXQBEHdPe7WPsWOKc1iFrjBAXF4P-h

nUeP5GOLNLyJmLSlF4dyGDr2ckNDGWs3d3K09cYsUKr1srVxq7iOr7QaZ1-AKmPF9KWtR0TF_KqLKc4Ch5ypoZsybLXRP_qVF-9yJR-r6huHeVs0mgTpTRo-niruzV_ekWf4MWH7

All in all, a fun way to end the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter