OT - Xmas gift ideas for tweens?

Tinkerbella86

Earning My Ears
Anybody have any ideas for my tween nieces, not necessarily Disney? They think they are outgrowing the Disney princess thing, which I don't get because I'm 22 and still love it. Anyway, got any ideas? THis is a hard age to buy for!!

How about a subscription to American Girl magazine?

My DD15 really enjoyed that at around 11yo or 12yo.

Lots of stuff.

A Vera Bradley small purse about $25.00 Pajamas, hairband, prewrap (for hair you can get it at Claire's)

I just got an adorable little wrislet for my daughter at Hallmark. It has her initial embrodiered on it. It is black with pink polka dots. So cute I had to buy 2 more for my best friends girls. $10.99 You could get that and put $$ or a gift card in it.

I-tunes gift card, Tweens like crafts too

Hope that helps a little.:santa:

Find out what music they listen to and get them some CD's.. at that age they are starting to get into music and want their own CD's....

How about a subscription to American Girl magazine?

My DD15 really enjoyed that at around 11yo or 12yo.

I don't think all - dd13 and her gf's were totally done with American Girl at that age. Gift cards are really appreciated at this age - itunes (if she has an ipod), Claires, Abercrombie... Does she have a flat iron? I got dd one at that age - now she wants a Chi. Dd likes hair and body products, makeup, nail polish, funky jammies...

Since you are 22 (which makes you "cool"), how about a gift certificate to a store (or to a restaurant, or dessert place, or a movie, or even Starbucks, depending on your budget and interests), and a "date" with you?? My girls LOVE older relatives and friends and, as a mom, I value time they spend with positive influences!!

For other gifts, it's slightly tricky b/c what works for one girl won't work for all. For one of my girls, anything Abercrombie or Hollister is awesome (but Justice is baby-ish). For my other girl, Abercrombie is cool if it doesn't actually say "Abercrombie" on the front. Aeropostale is also good, but not as good.
Itunes cards are favorites.
A wristlet is useful if they have a phone and an id or something else they need to carry, but find out first if they are "name brand" girls or not. If they are, then Coach is good (the outlet is not actually too expensive and is considered fairly luxurious for them).

But, if you can manage it, I really think the time with you is a perfect gift.

I definitely agree with the gift card ideas. I especially like giving Itunes and Claire's cards. Movie theater gift cards are very well received when we give them. Actually almost any gift card to a store is welcomed because they get to "shop for themselves". My dd10 received about 4 gift cards for her bday and LOVED using them at the different stores (Kohl's, Old Navy, Borders and Target or Game stop, can't recall). If they have video game systems you could get games or get a game stop gift card (also most appreciated by my girls). Bath and Body works stuff or any other nice, not too scented body item is very appreciated. small purses and wristlets are very nice. We have also given an Aeropostle tshirt (on clearance) with an Aeropostle gift card (nominal amount..their sales are pretty decent).

My 12 year old wants clothes, shoes, and jewelry. Abercrombie, Aeropostale, and Hollister are all good bets. Last year, for her birthday, she got a digital camera. She really enjoys that, too. I agree, she is pretty much done with American Girl, but a subscription to another "teen" mag would be good. 17, Teen Vogue, Teen, Teen People, Cosmo Girl. Perfume, a gift cert for a mani/pedi, or make-up. Or, if you have the funds, a "spa day" hair, nails, make-up.

LOL - my dd doesn't even own a cd player - just uses her ipod (as does ds11 and dd8).

Yes, I agree with this. My dd10's cell phone holds 1000s of songs. But, she still uses a cd player because she likes listening to audio books.

Anyway, assuming you aren't spending lots of money, I would go with stuff from Bath & Body Works. Or a top or PJs from Aero or Abercrombie. Even Old Navy is still cool for my dd (well, some of it...lol). Old Navy usually has some cute PJ pants at xmas time.

My dd10 also likes the SIMS games for the computer. But those can be rather expensive, too.

HTH

My niece's favorite gift is a day with me. I pick them up, we go shopping (I give them a budget) and out to lunch. I think they like the individual attention more than anything else.

Are they into Twilight? I know my 11 yr old neighbor is OBSESSED! I got an awesome t-shirt that has a picture of Edward's eyes and it changes in the sunlight - just like Edward. It's amazing! You can find it at www.ttchest.com.

It's funny, I posted something about this recently on another thread - maybe I should see if the company would pay me commissions! Ha Ha!! Then I could use one obsession to help fund another - my Disney obsession!!! :rotfl:

Yes, I agree with this. My dd10's cell phone holds 1000s of songs. But, she still uses a cd player because she likes listening to audio books.

You can download audiobooks from CD's to MP3 players, too. Just takes a bit more capacity. I got DS a player with a MicroSD slot for just this reason; he can put the books on a card to save the main memory.

Wow thanks guys! I'm glad I posted this - you guys have been very helpful. I like the magazine subscription idea - they like to read and it would come year round. They really do like Twilight too. I checked out that shirt and I've never seen anything like it. Maybe I'll do one for xmas and the other for birthdays. That will work!

I'm not sure how old they are, but my daughter and her friends (age 9-13) LOVE to come here to dress up. I always buy clearance prom dresses at Deb's. Apparently all the girls wear really tight, skimpy dresses which mean they're the perfect size for kids. They love all the glitz and glam and do each others hair and makeup. Most of her dresses were bought for 15 dollars or less...and I know at least 4 of them were about 7 dollars. That is our go-to birthday present for all of her friends. That or whiteboards which probably trumps the dresses.

Buying them a music CD of their favorite artist or a microphone system may be a good idea. Some girls are fond of wallets and pocketbooks. They like the latest styles and you can find them at reasonable prices, if you shop at places like Wal-Mart or Target. If the tween you are buying for already has an iPod then you can send an itune gift card or cute iPod cases they will really appreciate.

My DD is 13, some gifts she's liked:

a microfleece throw blanket
I can't think of what it's called, but one of those pillows that you lean back on that has little arm rests
a robe and the sweetest softest sleep socks on earth from B&BW
a Vera Bradley purse, wallet or lunchbox
I-tunes gift card
puzzles
journal with gel pens
slippers and pj's (she loves the fleece ones from Old Navy)

My dd (12) wants a real working microphone with stand. She wants to rock out in her room.

Other things she wants are:
Similar to the FLip camcorders- a small digital one I got on clearance at Target
One of those huge makeup kits they have out at Dillards at christmas time
Cd's and DVD's- Taylor Swift and Twilight
Toy Story Mania for Wii
Cell phone cover for her phone
Ipod Nano (still thinking about this?)

How much are you looking to spend? For $15-$20 you can get a gift certificate for a manicure at a nail salon (not spa). My nieces have always loved those.

If you're looking for the $35-$50, you can get a cute Dooney & Bourke wristlet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter