Other Options...

That is great information. I didn't realize that Adelaide was 2 hours from the ferry port. I think that we'd probably stay 2 nights there to see the natural wildlife and maybe tour some wineries. Is it worth it to spend a night in Adelaide? Or would it make more sense to just head to Sydney and spend 4 nights there? It would be nice to take ds on a day trip to the Blue Mountains, but I've been, so it's not a "must do". I would definitely like to take him to Taronga and do a 'behind the scenes' tour like I did with dd and also do the bridge climb. Those 2 activities take up an entire day. I do want to be in Sydney for the Saturday Rocks Market, so we will plan to leave on a Sunday.
You might also want to research flights from Queenstown to Adelaide as that is where the AbD ends. No sense in adding a flight leg to Auckland if you don’t need to do so.

That is great information. I didn't realize that Adelaide was 2 hours from the ferry port. I think that we'd probably stay 2 nights there to see the natural wildlife and maybe tour some wineries. Is it worth it to spend a night in Adelaide? Or would it make more sense to just head to Sydney and spend 4 nights there? It would be nice to take ds on a day trip to the Blue Mountains, but I've been, so it's not a "must do". I would definitely like to take him to Taronga and do a 'behind the scenes' tour like I did with dd and also do the bridge climb. Those 2 activities take up an entire day. I do want to be in Sydney for the Saturday Rocks Market, so we will plan to leave on a Sunday.

Looking at the Sealink Kangaroo Island one day tours they seem to all start in the early morning (6.45am seems to be the first coach to the ferry) and returning at 10.40 at night so you may have to stay a night in Adelaide depending on flights. I know Air NZ only has one direct flight Weds, Fri ad Sun for now, I think they used to do 5 days a week. The 1 night tours mostly offer a night on the island before doing the same itinerary as the day tours. So you get picked up at 3.30pm coach to the ferry terminal and ferry to the island. In theory you could arrive at 10.55am from Auckland and make one of these tours. This would get you 1 night Kangaroo Island plus 1 night Adelaide or 2 night Kangaroo Island. Depends how risk adverse you are with connections.

Also look at Kangaroo Island Odysseys for tours - https://www.kangarooislandodysseys.com.au/

I haven't been to Adelaide for ages but its known for food & wine plus arts and culture so stay an extra night if that interests you. Of course there are wineries and good restaurants on Kangaroo Island so that might be enough.

To me Sydney has more to do especially of children, beaches are great in summer.

Maybe check out the Kangaroo Island tours itineraries and days they are offered and see what fits best, and then go from there?

You might also want to research flights from Queenstown to Adelaide as that is where the AbD ends. No sense in adding a flight leg to Auckland if you don’t need to do so.

I didn't realize the ABD ended in Queenstown but the only direct flight to Adelaide is via/from Auckland. You can fly Air NZ to Melbourne, Sydney, or Brisbane direct from Queenstown (some days) and then transit in Australia with Air NZ. You can also fly with JetStar (budget airline) as they fly domestically in NZ. I think they did do a direct flight to Australia from Queenstown but aren't doing it at this time. Also look into Qantas and Virgin Australia but as they don't fly domestically in NZ it will be a code share.

Just depends if you want to book your own journey and or book all the flights in one booking. The direct light leaves at 8.20am from Auckland so you would need to go up the night before in order to check in on time.

I think the best might be to fly Queenstown - Sydney and then book a round trip flight to Adelaide from Sydney leaving early in the morning. This will give you more choice of airlines and times in Australia with domestic travel.

NZ and Australia just launched a quarantine free travel bubble starting in May so more direct flights and flight specials will be coming available soon as they see what the demand is, get more crew back working, have more planes available etc

More news from Tauck. I realize that the vaccination percentage they highlighted be indicative of the demographics of the bulk of their clients, but that is still astonishing.

Tauck
Dear Tauck Family of Friends,

An Easter reflection for me this past week, was the memory of the sparkle of light that was Andrea Bocelli singing Amazing Grace on the steps of the Duomo in Milan on Easter Sunday, just one year ago. It stirred us all so deeply then, and the memories resonate strongly today. That moment still stands as a metaphor for so much. In a time of relative darkness, beauty is present. The human spirit is strong and enduring. Our “Porchlight” has been a metaphor for a beacon which welcomes people “home.” It’s been our theme for our communications to you over this past year. We will be ready when you are.

That day has arrived.

I’m thrilled to let you know that by July we plan to be running all of our USA tours. Our Worldwide Operations team has been working meticulously with our partners to plan for each individual itinerary, as they always do so thoroughly. We have recently completed a survey of our patrons holding reservations and were heartened to learn that 95% have already been vaccinated and 2% have their appointments scheduled.

I'm vaxxed, but, I don't feel comfortable enough to book still. At least not for things that are nonrefundable. I feel for the travel industry, but I hate that so many companies aren't relaxing their policies enough for me. I'm basically writing off 2022 since you have to book so far out.

I'm vaxxed, but, I don't feel comfortable enough to book still. At least not for things that are nonrefundable. I feel for the travel industry, but I hate that so many companies aren't relaxing their policies enough for me. I'm basically writing off 2022 since you have to book so far out.

I will say that Tauck is *very* flexible with the payment terms. PIF for mine is 30 days out (for a trip that is actually going). I stayed away from a river cruise next summer, because those had non-refundable deposits, but with Tauck, up to that 30 days out I could transfer my deposit to another trip, which I have done, when I realized in November that Switzerland wasn't going to be the experience I wanted this summer. They have incredibly flexible policies for the land trips. If I don't think Switzerland will go next year, I will switch it to Alaska, probably.

(They offered to give me every penny back last summer, but offered a $500 travel bank incentive for everyone that was PIF, and $250 for those who weren't. For that treatment, I did roll the money forward, but they told you a full refund was an option (not something you had to press with a manager and maybe get). I even booked 2022 before they had pricing available and once it priced I still had 14 days to decide or get a full refund, which is the polar opposite of sitting on hold for 6 hours to get an EBD on opening day.)

I am surprised how many people were waiting on the phone for 6 hours in opening day for ABD especially with refund policy being so strict on deposit. I was thinking about moving my December river cruise to another destination but at this point I’m thinking of waiting to see if it just cancels to get my deposit back. I can’t see travelling anytime soon with kids not being able to be vaccinated yet. In Toronto, we’re in lockdown again with schools being moved to online after April break. I have my fingers crossed for travel next year but I guess I can’t really feel confident in booking any trips where I can’t get a refund right now. I’m planning our own Japan trip for December or March but just booking refundable hotels.
I guess that’s why Tauck is great, they seem to be very flexible with the payment terms. Like @laceltris3 I took the option of banking the funds I already paid for my cancelled March Costa Rica trip. I would probably book for 2022 once I decide where i would like to take my family, just can’t decide yet. 😅

We had booked a Danube River Cruise for this October early last year. However, after this past year we willnever be comfortable going on a cruise again. So we cancelled it and moved it to a Disneyland Backstage Magic trip for next October. We used Kevin at Dreams and we got everything we needed yesterday no problems. This will be our first ABD and we couldn't be more jazzed.

I booked our return flights from Sydney last night (well, the first flights, because I'm hoping to snag first class seats when the window opens -- have biz class on Air Canada currently).

I really, really, really hope that this trip happens. Since I moved our deposit from Egypt last October to NZ in March, I do not know what my refund options would be if it were to be cancelled. But honestly I am very excited for this itinerary.

What are the chances that the Dec ABD NZ trip will happen?

We are only just opening up to Australia late April and May , otherwise all people coming from elsewhere must be NZ citizens or residents and must pay for self isolation at an official facility with a negative test before travel and several during isolation. We also put a stop on passengers from India while we look at ways of managing them better as there was a flurry of cases from there. Vaccines are rolling out to health workers now with high risk people starting in May.

Long story short I would think no tourists will be allowed until there is no community cases in that area they are coming from. Please keep hope but don't book anything non refundable.

Well, for a whole bunch of reasons, I've decided not to travel with ABD this year. Chief among them is that I'm just not ready to travel internationally yet, and I'm not ready to travel domestically or internationally in a pod of one. The combination of pods and the size of ABD's trips just aren't appealing to me this year.
So I've been looking at other companies to see what's out there to travel domestically on the "shoulder" season, and I came across a trip by Classic Journeys to Bryce, Zion, Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Currently, there are 8 people on the trip. The woman I spoke with thought it *might* get up to 12. And she seemed very apologetic when she said there was a teeny-tiny chance it could get as high as 18. I like those numbers. I haven't been to Bryce or Zion since I was a kid, and I've actually never been to New Mexico, so I'm really looking forward to that!

I've been such a hermit for the last 14 months, so it was really hard to pull the trigger on this trip, but I finally managed to book it! Now I'm exploring options for pre- and post-days. Totally not sure about flights yet. But I'm making plans! And while it's still a little scary (and I'm not sure why -- I'm fully vaccinated!) I'm glad I did it. I'll let you guys know how it goes with this company. (It's the same company @aggiedog traveled with to Morocco recently.)

Sayhello

Well, for a whole bunch of reasons, I've decided not to travel with ABD this year. Chief among them is that I'm just not ready to travel internationally yet, and I'm not ready to travel domestically or internationally in a pod of one. The combination of pods and the size of ABD's trips just aren't appealing to me this year.
So I've been looking at other companies to see what's out there to travel domestically on the "shoulder" season, and I came across a trip by Classic Journeys to Bryce, Zion, Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Currently, there are 8 people on the trip. The woman I spoke with thought it *might* get up to 12. And she seemed very apologetic when she said there was a teeny-tiny chance it could get as high as 18. I like those numbers. I haven't been to Bryce or Zion since I was a kid, and I've actually never been to New Mexico, so I'm really looking forward to that!

I've been such a hermit for the last 14 months, so it was really hard to pull the trigger on this trip, but I finally managed to book it! Now I'm exploring options for pre- and post-days. Totally not sure about flights yet. But I'm making plans! And while it's still a little scary (and I'm not sure why -- I'm fully vaccinated!) I'm glad I did it. I'll let you guys know how it goes with this company. (It's the same company @aggiedog traveled with to Morocco recently.)

Sayhello
That is exciting, and I can't wait to hear all about it. Sounds like a fun trip. I can totally see why a solo trip with pods doesn't sound fun. It doesn't sound fun to me even with a party of 2 or 4.

Sayhello
So happy you will be back to traveling again. That is very exciting! I will be very interested to hear your take on Classic Journeys. I have recevied their catalogs for years and didn't know anyone who had ever traveled with them.

Sayhello
We just did a trip there last week with Thompson. It was great! We flew in and out of Las Vegas and then drove to Zion. It’s about 3 hours. The nearest airport is St George but it was much easier for us to get a direct flight and then drive a little further.
It was a great trip!

That is exciting, and I can't wait to hear all about it. Sounds like a fun trip. I can totally see why a solo trip with pods doesn't sound fun. It doesn't sound fun to me even with a party of 2 or 4.
Thanks! I will definitely let you know how it goes!
So happy you will be back to traveling again. That is very exciting! I will be very interested to hear your take on Classic Journeys. I have recevied their catalogs for years and didn't know anyone who had ever traveled with them.
Thank you! I'm excited, too! I actually had a hiking trip to Yosemite scheduled with them in 2007, but I tore my rotator cuff and had to cancel a week before. The next year I discovered ABD, and I just never re-scheduled with Classic Journeys. I'll be sure & let you guys know how they do!
We just did a trip there last week with Thompson. It was great! We flew in and out of Las Vegas and then drove to Zion. It’s about 3 hours. The nearest airport is St George but it was much easier for us to get a direct flight and then drive a little further.
It was a great trip!
I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to fly into Las Vegas or just fly into St. George. The tour actually starts in St. George, so it would definitely be convenient if I can work it out. And the tour ends in Albuquerque. One-way car rentals can cost a fortune, and I've already heard there's a rental car shortage this year. So we'll see. :)

Sayhello

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to fly into Las Vegas or just fly into St. George. The tour actually starts in St. George, so it would definitely be convenient if I can work it out. And the tour ends in Albuquerque. One-way car rentals can cost a fortune, and I've already heard there's a rental car shortage this year. So we'll see. :)

Sayhello

There is a shuttle from Las Vegas McCarran airport to St. George that is pretty reasonable. Look up the St. George Shuttle.

Sayhello

You will LOVE Bryce and Zion! I finally booked a tour of both the last time I was in Vegas. We did both on the same day and the tour took about 14 hours from Las Vegas. We spent about 3 hours in each park which was plenty. I was glad I let the tour company drive instead of driving myself because there is not much out that way. St.George is about an 2 hours from Las Vegas, so if you decide to spend some pre-nights in Vegas there is a lot to do. Some people in our group had difficulty with the altitude at Bryce. They got sick once we got there(nausea, light headed, vomiting, etc.). I didn’t have any issues, so I was glad. There weren’t many guardrails on the trails we took at Bryce and there was still ice on the ground which made some places on the trail treacherous when I went in early April. You could actually go right to the edge and look over which was kind of scary.

I’m with you. If I travel at all this year, it will be in the US. I only have a trip to Hawaii planned for the end of the year. I’m still holding out hope that we can travel safely internationally next year and have two international trips(1 ABD and 1 non-ABD) planned. However, if things haven’t improved I will definitely cancel them. My sister and I were just talking the other day about how irresponsible it would be to travel to a country where the government had issued a due not travel warning. Having worked for the federal government, she pointed out to me that it wasn’t a matter of whether you could enter the country but more so a matter of whether the embassy would come to your aid if something happened since they had already told you it wasn’t safe to travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter