• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other things to do?

V.I.N.CENT.

DIS Veteran
Dare I ask?

We missed the boat on hotel reservations for the second week of March (waited too late, our hotel ran out of point rooms), so we are biting the bullet and going the first week of April (daughters spring break).

I am o.k. with this because we will expect crowds, have season passes so we don't feel obligated to be in the parks all day, and will be driving down so we have a car readily available.

Not interested in Universal Studios (too expensive), planning on Knotts to go see the Hillbillies. Not beach people, but we do like museums and zoos. Thinking about hitting up the tar pits :)

We've been down to Anaheim many, many times, but always stayed in DL because we wanted to maximize our time in the parks. We want to explore a bit this trip.

Any suggestions?

We have done the Petersen Auto Museum (you can see what it is like on the link in my signature). One year we went to the Tar Pits, and then a movie at El Capitan - check their schedule they play all Disney movies and have special engagements of older movies all the time. The LACMA is a great museum close to the Tar Pits and the Petersen. Also close by is the Original Farmer's Market which is my favorite place for lunch! Our first trip we went to San Diego for the day and went to the SD Zoo which was awesome!

This year we are going to the Griffith Observatory and will check out the carousel in Griffith Park.

We have enjoyed the Discovery Cube in Santa Ana. My kids are 16 and 18 now; we last visited 3 years ago. I'd say my kids were just exiting the age of high interest for the museum itself at that time, but we did enjoy the special exhibit they were running which for that visit was the main goal. You didn't mention your daughter(s) age, so I don't know if this museum would be right for you. https://oc.discoverycube.org/

We visited the Natural History museum in LA quite a number of years ago and really enjoyed that a lot. Hate the drive to get there and back though.

The Getty Villa or the Getty center are nice way to spend the day. Usually, if you visit both in the same day you only pay for parking once and the entrance is free.

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is very nice, a half day experience in my opinion. While you're there you could also check out the Queen Mary

The California Science Center is a place recommended to visit as well, if you've not already been before. There's a Space Shuttle display (Endeavor) and other interesting exhibitions too.

If you're wanting to do some outlet shopping then there's the Premium Outlets at Camarillo, which is one of the biggest near LA. A slightly smaller Premium Outlets is also at Cabazon, near to Palm Springs. There's also one in Costa Mesa too but this one is very small.

We went to Norton Simon in Pasadena one trip, very neat can check online to see what they're featuring. The tar pits are cool for sure!
ETA: we got coupons for our Knotts tickets from our local credit union a couple years ago. Doesn't hurt to ask if you have one and are West Coast located imho, they gave us like a pack of ads and discount stuff for SoCal.

we will be driving to San Diego again this next trip , and doing SeaWorld.. have also done the zoo and they have a safari park there too.. its not too long of a drive !

If you and your family like museums, I would second the California Science Center. Their usual stuff is great (Space Shuttle Endeavour is there) but they have an incredibly unique opportunity that is going to be available when you are there.
I'm not sure if you have already heard or not, but in Egypt, there is a new museum that is being built on the Giza plateau that will house all of the artifacts at the old museum in the center of Cairo. As they move items over to the new museum, they are sending some things on a world-wide tour. One set of items is the Tutankhamun collection that was unearthed by Howard Carter. This will be the last time any of those objects will be sent outside of Egypt so unless you are planning on traveling to Cairo in the future, this will be the only time that you will be able to see the treasures from the tomb. I do not know if the famous gold mask will be part of the exhibit (I am inclined to think not because it was damaged during the Revolution and is fairly fragile now) but there will be a lot of very amazing pieces that will be there. I am planning on going myself during my school's spring break, even though I have already traveled to Egypt, I want to see everything again.

They usually don't film on the weekends. So, on the weekends you'll be more likely able to visit certain sets (Big Bang Theory, Ellen) but there is more going on during the week so you sometimes get to glimpse more people that way :)

Have you ever seen a tv taping? We saw Wheel of Fortune last summer and enjoyed it! Plus, it's 100% free (even the parking).

The its a Groupon for great wolf lodge right now. We find that to be a great way to split time. Its a pretty fun place even without the great water slides

The Getty Villa or the Getty center are nice way to spend the day. Usually, if you visit both in the same day you only pay for parking once and the entrance is free.

Both Gettys are wonderful! If you do spend the day on the west side, look into the Museum of Tolerance as well. Really thought provoking and well done exhibits. The kids we've taken there have spent the rest of the day talking about it.

In LA, I, adore the Getty and the Griffith Observatory. I don't like leaving Orange County, but will for those two places.

I have season passes to the San Diego Zoo/Safari Park. Both are excellent, but a bit pricey and the drive can be taxing. If you like zoos, they are among the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter