Our 21 Royal Adventure - The evening is over and TR all wrapped up 8/10, Plus a link to the new TR!

Hi hi! I am here! Making my not-so-grand return to the Disboards just for this TR! 😊
:welcome:
I really really applaud and admire how you’re moving forward and I know that the future holds many adventures for you.
Thank you, it is frustrating, overwhelming, and all sorts of other nonsense all rolled into one.
It was such a fantastic night at 21 and we can’t wait to do it again in the future!

Yay! So you're in for the next one! :thumbsup2

I'm very excited to follow along as this is a dream for me!
I've been a lurker on your reports for a while now, and I'm so very sorry to hear about Fran. I'm glad you were able to honor her memory and continue this visit to 21 Royal.
Thanks for coming out of lurkdom and commenting. Thanks for your condolences.

I know that she would want me to continue these reports because she knew how much I enjoy sharing my experiences with my DIS friends.
She would indeed, she shared that she knew how much enjoyment you got out of your writing TR's
If you didn't know us, check out any of the links in my signature for our escapades.
I spent SO many hours reading them post Achilles surgery and then when I was off on Mat leave!
Even won a contest 👌
I started talking about it with Allyson (@DnA2010) during the pandemic and by the time things were opening back up she and her hubby were on board. This is Allyson and Dorian.
I figured out you told me about it in 2018 I believe and I probably told you to keep us in mind and we would save our pennies
We came up with a “layaway plan” for her.
What a clever pair you are!
ran underwent no less than five different surgeries and it started to take a toll on her body. Me being the eternal optimist, I never thought that it would become too much for her.
Nope, you were always there at her side, forging ahead xx
So I pouted and evidently texted quite a few of my friends attending the dinner of my displeasure.
I do remember this indeed, as I remember you sending the picture of the dress and thinking yes, that is the dress Alison HAS to wear!
She passed on April 15, just a little less than one month before this dinner.
You did absolutely everything you could, so proud of you x
I decided to invite my friend Leonard

Although not Fran, Leonard was a stand-out stand-in.

What a journey, glad to be a part of, through the ups and downs.
This is going to be heck of a ride to re-live.
Can't wait for the next one 🥂

I have read your many TR's over the years, and I am so sorry to hear of Fran's passing. While I've never met you, I feel like I knew/know you both, from reading all your adventures over the years.
:welcome: Thanks for coming out of lurkdom!
Moving forward is never easy, but as others have said, you're doing so with much grace, love and support. And Fran is with you - every where you go.
Thank you very much!
I can't wait to read more about this adventure (having just finished your Winnie Takes A Cruise TR).
This was definitely a fun one!

She would indeed, she shared that she knew how much enjoyment you got out of your writing TR's
That's funny because she never shared that with me. She was always on me for writing TRs and not working! :laughing:
I spent SO many hours reading them post Achilles surgery and then when I was off on Mat leave!
Even won a contest 👌
Yes, you did win the contest. The one and only contest that I ran. It was too much work!
I figured out you told me about it in 2018 I believe and I probably told you to keep us in mind and we would save our pennies
You were skeptical for a while, but I think once the pandemic hit, you decided that life is too short and we needed to have fun when we could!
What a clever pair you are!
Yes, her private clients paid her via Venmo, so he never saw that money.....
Nope, you were always there at her side, forging ahead xx
I tried my best. She was my world.
I do remember this indeed, as I remember you sending the picture of the dress and thinking yes, that is the dress Alison HAS to wear!
I can't believe how everything worked out.
You did absolutely everything you could, so proud of you x
Thanks. If I could have done more, I would have. 😥
Although not Fran, Leonard was a stand-out stand-in.
Yes, he is a lovely human being.
What a journey, glad to be a part of, through the ups and downs.
This is going to be heck of a ride to re-live.
Can't wait for the next one 🥂
Yay! You're in for a repeat! So far it looks like we have at least half of us ready for a go again!

It's almost here!

May arrived quickly, and while five members of our party called Southern California home, the rest had yet to start arriving.

Jill, Su-Lynn and Steve all arrived on the Saturday before the event. Originally Jill had planned to fly in Wednesday morning. I had booked the Grand Californian Villa for Wednesday and Thursday nights with the idea that we could have a relaxing day before meeting up at 5PM for the evening. However, after Fran passed, Jill arranged to work remotely for the week before our big night, and she flew into Long Beach on the Saturday before.

Steve grew up locally in So-Cal, so he and Su-Lynn had some family time before coming to Anaheim. They visited Universal on Tuesday before checking into their Disneyland adjacent hotel. Also on that Tuesday, Allyson and Dorian arrived from Canada and checked into the Grand Californian villas. Shortly after I booked the two bedroom Villa, Allyson asked if I would rent some points out for her, and I got them a studio. It turns out that their room would be right next door to the two bedroom Villa!

By this time everyone was posting on our Facebook group about their antics. The Canadians were trying to get some sun by the pool…

x23DL0509R12.jpg

And Angi had just got her nails done.

x23DL0509R13.jpg

Just one more day until we would check in at the Grand Californian! I had been packed for a week already. I was packed before Jill arrived. I had a bit of a wardrobe quandary. There was a specific dress I had wanted to wear, but when I put it in, the dress looked like a potato sack!

When Fran first went into the hospital, I immediately dropped 10 pounds. She was always taking me to drive throughs, we ate crappy snacks during the day, and I just gave in to what she wanted. When I was in control of my eating habits, I cooked all my meals using whole ingredients. I rarely make packaged meals, although I have been known to enjoy them occasionally. My helper Donna had taken in one of my favorite dresses so that it no longer hung off me like a tent, so I decided to go with that one.

And then the day to leave for the Grand arrived. Jill had to work until about 1PM. She had a meeting and then we could take off. The car was all packed and from our text messages it looks like we finally left around 2:30 in the afternoon. The room was ready as soon as we got there, and Jenny and her crew were not far behind us at all!

x23DL0510R01.JPG

x23DL0510R02.JPG

x23DL0510R03.JPG

x23DL0510R04.JPG

Leonard had the choice of sleeping here…..

x23DL0510R05.JPG

Or here (there’s a murphy bed in there for those who aren’t aware)…..he was going to have the living room for a bedroom.

x23DL0510R06.JPG

This would be Leonard’s bathroom.

x23DL0510R07.JPG

Jill and I were going to share the Master. We are going to be traveling together a lot, so we decided that we might as well get used to being roommates.

x23DL0510R08.JPG

x23DL0510R09.JPG

x23DL0510R10.JPG

x23DL0510R11.JPG

I would definitely enjoy this tub a time or two during our stay.

x23DL0510R12.JPG

Also with the doors open….

x23DL0510R13.JPG

And of course the spacious shower.

x23DL0510R14.JPG

We got ourselves settled in before heading out to Tortilla Jo's for dinner. We enjoyed some snackes and beverages before taking off for dinner. Originally Fran and I were going with Allyson and Dorian, so Jill took Fran's place. Leonard wouldn't be arriving until after 8PM because he had to work until 5 o'clock. Jenny and her family were just going to get some nibbles in the park. Not quite sure what everyone else was up to as they were staying offsite.

We started off with Chips and salsa.

x23DL0510R15.jpg

As well a variety of different types of margaritas.

x23DL0510R16.jpg

Jill and I split a two item combo, we both got tacos. Mine was shredded beef. Not sure what kind she got and we ordered all beans, no rice. It looks like a very small amount, but it was actually just perfect. I was just the right amount of full.

x23DL0510R17.jpg

We had a nice time chatting about this and that. Jill and I had seen the Guardians movie the previous weekend, and Dorian had read all the comic books. We confirmed that it was indeed a very dark movie. He didn’t see how it could be uplifting based on the subject matter.

While we were talking Allyson said to me that she could have sworn that she saw “my dress” at the Disney Dress Shop. I told her I would check it out, but I doubted it, from my experience when those things sell out they’re usually gone for good. I forgot to stop in there on our way back to the room. We did stop to admire this rice krispy sculpture in the lobby.

x23DL0510R18.jpg

Leonard arrived just before 9PM, he gathered himself some dinner (sorry no pictures), and we all called it a night. Everyone wanted to be rested up for the next day. I think I even skipped my bath that night. I was so tired!

Last edited:
Hello! Joining in! This looks like a once in a lifetime trip...although not for you since it was your second time! Also so nice to see some familiar faces :-)

I am so, so sorry to read about Fran. I've read a few of your other trip reports and knew from there that her health was declining, but I wasn't expecting that. It's nice that you two seemed to live life to it's fullest while you could, and that her legacy and memory will live on with you and all your wonderful friends :love:

I’m a longtime lurker/occasional poster! I follow Su-Lynn on Insta and learned of Fran’s passing there. May her memory be a blessing to you ❤️ I have always enjoyed your trip reports and am looking forward to reading this one and your future adventures!

Hi Alison! :wave2:

I'm here! Will be back to read and comment but first I have to finish up your last TR. :rotfl2:

Hello! Joining in! This looks like a once in a lifetime trip...although not for you since it was your second time! Also so nice to see some familiar faces :-)
I am so, so sorry to read about Fran. I've read a few of your other trip reports and knew from there that her health was declining, but I wasn't expecting that. It's nice that you two seemed to live life to it's fullest while you could, and that her legacy and memory will live on with you and all your wonderful friends :love:
Thank you for your condolences. Being ever the optimist, I didn't see it coming, but in hindsight all the signs were there. I will miss her.

ou were skeptical for a while, but I think once the pandemic hit, you decided that life is too short and we needed to have fun when we could!
Yes, when life throws you curve balls, you realize it is indeed short and to make hay while the sun shines.
Thanks. If I could have done more, I would have. 😥
You would, but you did all you could xx
Yay! You're in for a repeat! So far it looks like we have at least half of us ready for a go again!
🙈🤷‍♀️☺️
It turns out that their room would be right next door to the two bedroom Villa!
That was so crazy!

The Canadians were trying to get some sun by the pool…

x23DL0509R12.jpg
Update- as an Irish pretty much albino- not much colour was acquired by me...
There was a specific dress I had wanted to wear, but when I put it in, the dress looked like a potato sack!
You've lost a lot of weight, this didn't surprise me
We started off with Chips and salsa.

x23DL0510R15.jpg
these were good, and I'm a fan of smoother salsas over chunky ones
As well a variety of different types of margaritas.

x23DL0510R16.jpg
If I remember correctly, these were all tasty - just realized we are all "rocks" here
I feel like you struggled to even finish this!
While we were talking Allyson said to me that she could have sworn that she saw “my dress” at the Disney Dress Shop. I told her I would check it out, but I doubted it
...the suspense ;)
I think I even skipped my bath that night. I was so tired!
I feel like you did, you were for sure ready to hit the hay when we all decided to turn in 😴

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter