Our dd and wheelchair

traceycc

Earning My Ears
Well, we leave for Disney in 2more days!:Pinkbounc I have set up a wheelchair rental with Care . Randy's mobility called me back they also do not have a child size wheelchair, so we are going to take our chances with the smallest adult size one. I took everyone's suggestion and bought the yoga foam bricks to prop her up and a pillow or two! If I had more time I could have probably had my ortho dr fill a script for a wheelchair and had it delivered to my home, but time is running out. We are also taking a lightweight umbrella stroller because she is petite she can be wheeled around the airport and to and from the room etc. Now my question, how easy is it to board the buses and such with a wheelchair? My friend also told me she read that AK is not really wheelchair friendly because of the paths and such so that day we may just use the stroller. Any more tips or suggestions to make this trip easier would be appreciated. Thanks. :earsgirl:

The disABILITIES FAQ at the top of this board has one about bus boarding.
We don't think it''s too hard/too much trouble, but we have no other way to get DD onto the bus and have been dealing with a wheelchair for 16+ years.

One thing - if you find she is more comfortable in the stroller, you can get a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) that will allow her stroller to be used as a wheelchair. That means, she could stay in it in lines and in buildings where strollers are not usually allowed.
To request a GAC, go to Guest Services inside any of the parks and explain her needs to the CMs there. The GAC is issued to her and up to 5 other members of your party (but if you had 2 adults and 5 children, they would not make you leave one child off the GAC). The GAC is good for your entire length of stay in all the parks (you don't need to get one at each park).
To use a GAC, you show it to the CM at the ride entrance. They should direct you to the correct place to go - that will usually be the regular line. Be prepared that some of the guests in line may make comments that the stroller is not allowed in line.
You can board a stoller-used-as-wheelchair on the bus thru the back door, but once on the bus, the stroller will need to be folded up and your DD will need to sit on a seat for safety. People have reported variable luck with getting the bus driver to notice them at the back door with a stoller.

Good luck and hope you have a great trip.

I agree with everything Sue in MN said.

Why don't you request assistance at the airport they will provide you with a wheelchair or drive your family in the cart to the gate. Also ask to board before the announcement for people in wheelchairs and children. This way she will be able to get in the seat without worrying about someone hitting the leg. Also ask for a wheelchair to meet you at gate in Orlando.

Don't knock yourself out for not getting a script from the Dr to get a wheelchair. Trust me there is no way you would get one that fast by the time it clears insurance even a basic wheelchair takes forever.

You could try contacting your school system and have them put you in touch with the school in your area that physically disabled kids attend (the school with a POHI program). I know they have several extra wheelchairs that people donate to the programs and maybe they have one you could borrow and even use after her surgery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter