• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our first Disney cruise!

DVC_HK

Mouseketeer
We made the final payments and are finally going on a Disney cruise in May! What all do we book when it comes down for reservations? I've never done a cruise before and I'm trying to do as much research as possible to get us some fun excursions and maybe Paleo or Remy if possible!
Thank you in advance!

We made the final payments and are finally going on a Disney cruise in May! What all do we book when it comes down for reservations? I've never done a cruise before and I'm trying to do as much research as possible to get us some fun excursions and maybe Paleo or Remy if possible!
Thank you in advance!
I am assuming you are on the Fantasy or Dream since you mention Remy. How long is your cruise? It helps to know what to recommend.

It would help to know how long your cruise is and where you are going. If it is a short one, I usually advise that, for your first cruise, you not overplan and let the magic come to you.

We are on the Dream for 4 nights. We board on a Monday and disembark on a Friday, thanks ya'll!

Congrats! Wife and I just got back from that same cruise this past Friday.

Things you should bring off the top of my head: multiport USB charger (one that plugs in and has several USB ports) the ships dont really have that many outlets for charging, magnetic hooks to hang up extra clothes, etc (walls are coated metal), sunscreen of course, air freshener (on one trip our toilet always seemed to smell when the seat was up), and autograph books for character meet and greets if thats your thing.

I know there are 100 things I am missing but thats really all I could think of that are non-traditional things you would pack. Have Fun!

Congrats! Wife and I just got back from that same cruise this past Friday.

Things you should bring off the top of my head: multiport USB charger (one that plugs in and has several USB ports) the ships dont really have that many outlets for charging, magnetic hooks to hang up extra clothes, etc (walls are coated metal), sunscreen of course, air freshener (on one trip our toilet always seemed to smell when the seat was up), and autograph books for character meet and greets if thats your thing.

I know there are 100 things I am missing but thats really all I could think of that are non-traditional things you would pack. Have Fun!
Thank you! I know we are gonna want to bring everything possible

I wouldn't recommend going BOTH Palo and Remy given your are on a 4 night. You'd want to experience each of the restaurants onboard at least once :)

It would help to know how long your cruise is and where you are going. If it is a short one, I usually advise that, for your first cruise, you not overplan and let the magic come to you.
I cannot recommend this enough. Disney cruise is not like going to the parks. You don’t have to plan and research everything months in advance. In fact you can have a magnificent cruise without planning a single thing in advance, including shore excursions or reservations. I would only do one specialty restaurant because you do not want to miss the main dining rooms especially on your first cruise. Also assume you will come back and make sure to book your next cruise on board so you get that 10% discount.

We really like Palo and love, love, love Remy but I'd actually recommend skipping both for a first and short cruise. We cruised first on the Wonder for 4 days and did Palo. We never got to Triton's and have never sailed on the Wonder since. I know that Triton's may not be particularly special, but it was something I did miss and Palo is the same on all of the ships.

There's just way too much to do in four days especially for the first time. Just do some minimal planning and pick and choose what to do each day when you see the Navigator on board. If you've not been to Nassau, maybe do an excursion. On Castaway Cay, you may just want to wander around and experience what it has to offer rather than trying to also pack in booked activities. As a first timer, you can book activities online at 75 days out from sailing.

Personally, I'd suggest that you really spend your time enjoying the ship - Midship Detective Game, shows, try out some of the lounges and have their speciality drink, Art of the Theme ship tour, Aquaduck, mini golf, etc. or just relax and absorb the atmosphere. We just completed our 11th cruise (7-day Fantasy) with plans to do Midship Detective, 1-2 shows, mini-golf, spend time at Satellite Falls, Aquaduck, cooking demos, alcohol tastings, Palo/Remy, Pirate night, SWDAS night, and a few other things. We did Palo, Remy, alcohol tastings, twice on the Aquaduck, 15 minutes at Satellite Falls, lots of downtime in the Cove Cafe, hot tub, Meridian lounge/outer deck, balcony. I dunno what happened, but somehow we just never had time to do the rest. Too much time leisurely enjoying ourselves, I guess. I remember our 12 day Baltic cruise. When asked what we did all day when not at the ports, my response was "I don't know but I know it took all day". So now I've got to do a cruise again to fit in all the stuff I didn't do the last time.

We really like Palo and love, love, love Remy but I'd actually recommend skipping both for a first and short cruise. We cruised first on the Wonder for 4 days and did Palo. We never got to Triton's and have never sailed on the Wonder since. I know that Triton's may not be particularly special, but it was something I did miss and Palo is the same on all of the ships.

There's just way too much to do in four days especially for the first time. Just do some minimal planning and pick and choose what to do each day when you see the Navigator on board. If you've not been to Nassau, maybe do an excursion. On Castaway Cay, you may just want to wander around and experience what it has to offer rather than trying to also pack in booked activities. As a first timer, you can book activities online at 75 days out from sailing.

Personally, I'd suggest that you really spend your time enjoying the ship - Midship Detective Game, shows, try out some of the lounges and have their speciality drink, Art of the Theme ship tour, Aquaduck, mini golf, etc. or just relax and absorb the atmosphere. We just completed our 11th cruise (7-day Fantasy) with plans to do Midship Detective, 1-2 shows, mini-golf, spend time at Satellite Falls, Aquaduck, cooking demos, alcohol tastings, Palo/Remy, Pirate night, SWDAS night, and a few other things. We did Palo, Remy, alcohol tastings, twice on the Aquaduck, 15 minutes at Satellite Falls, lots of downtime in the Cove Cafe, hot tub, Meridian lounge/outer deck, balcony. I dunno what happened, but somehow we just never had time to do the rest. Too much time leisurely enjoying ourselves, I guess. I remember our 12 day Baltic cruise. When asked what we did all day when not at the ports, my response was "I don't know but I know it took all day". So now I've got to do a cruise again to fit in all the stuff I didn't do the last time.
Oh I didn't know the aquaduck was for adults as well! Ya'll will never get me off that thing now

Oh I didn't know the aquaduck was for adults as well! Ya'll will never get me off that thing now

Oh it's definitely for adults. Hardest part is getting up all those stairs. DH & I go on the same raft together. Best time to do it is on CC or port day as many people get off the ship. On one cruise, we did it 7 times in a row with no one in front of us on the CC day. Last cruise we did it twice in a row at about 2 pm on a port day. On the cruise before that, DH and I and another couple did it about 5 times in a row on Grand Cayman day where we switched around who went down with who. Other times it can get a very long line.

but I'd actually recommend skipping both for a first and short cruise. We cruised first on the Wonder for 4 days and did Palo. We never got to Trit
There's just way too much to do in four days especially for the first time.
Thank you for posting! I just paid the deposit for my first every cruise, Palo sounds amazing and I was hoping to get a reservation for brunch but with the difficulty and the cruise being only 3 nights, I will skip it and enjoy the rotation restaurants. Our only port is Ensenada which I have no desire to visit so looking forward to enjoying the ship. Might sound weird but I wanted to try a cruise and this one fits the time and distance from home.

Be prepared to cry when you have to get off - 4 days wont be enough.
I thought I would hate crusing, and only did the first one for my wife, so we did a short one - I cried the day I had to get off.

We are on the Dream for 4 nights. We board on a Monday and disembark on a Friday, thanks ya'll!

Cruising is nothing like the parks....intensive planning NOT required! Decide if you want to do an excursion in Nassau or just get out and walk around (area around ship is sort of scuzzy but safe if you keep your wits about you) or stay on ship. Maybe a brunch or dinner at Palo ($$$) but maybe not...(Remy is $$$$). There is a spa ($$$) but exercise room is free. There is a daily schedule on your app or pick up hard copy the night before. Most everything is included in the cruise price. We get the hard copy and circle what we would like to do the next day....we seldom get to everything we circle. At CC, we generally snorkle, get floating mats, ride bikes. No need to reserve for any of that but there is a small (for Disney) fee.

We just went on our first cruise on Feb 2nd on the Dream. AMAZING!! We have a placeholder and another cruise scheduled on Jan 25, 2021. Lots of great information on this board. Dont forget to use the search function at the top of the screen too.

We didn’t plan much, but just enjoyed being on the ship and getting used to it. I also found some great advice in The Unofficial Guide To Disney Cruise book. So jealous and you are going to have a blast!!

Be prepared to cry when you have to get off - 4 days wont be enough.
I thought I would hate crusing, and only did the first one for my wife, so we did a short one - I cried the day I had to get off.
Aww don't tell me that 😭 I'm an ugly crier lol

Cruising is nothing like the parks....intensive planning NOT required! Decide if you want to do an excursion in Nassau or just get out and walk around (area around ship is sort of scuzzy but safe if you keep your wits about you) or stay on ship. Maybe a brunch or dinner at Palo ($$$) but maybe not...(Remy is $$$$). There is a spa ($$$) but exercise room is free. There is a daily schedule on your app or pick up hard copy the night before. Most everything is included in the cruise price. We get the hard copy and circle what we would like to do the next day....we seldom get to everything we circle. At CC, we generally snorkle, get floating mats, ride bikes. No need to reserve for any of that but there is a small (for Disney) fee.
So for the snorkeling we wanted to bring our own masks and snorkels we use for diving. That's okay right?

So for the snorkeling we wanted to bring our own masks and snorkels we use for diving. That's okay right?
yes. You will just have to get one of the snorkle inflatable life vests to wear or the life guard will remind you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter