• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our first DVC trip to OKW :)

utahkennedys

DIS Veteran
We stayed at OKW from 9/18 - 9/23. It was me, dd3, my father and his wife. We were in room 2422 -- a perfect location I think overlooking the golf course, but near HH and the main pool and bus stop. The room was in great shape, and not in need of any repairs or refurbishment.

Check in was SO easy and we received many "Welcome Homes". All of our room requests were met, and when we saw the room we were blown away by the space, the layout, and just the room generally. It was perfect for us! DH was sad he couldn't be there! DD3 and I shared the studio portion, although our room was a 2BR lock-off. We loved the ease of having b'fast each morning in the room after stopping at Winn Dixie for some groceries. We also loved the large, covered balcony with ceiling fan at night and in the morning. My father loved watching the golfers and he was able to squeeze 3 games of golf in while we were there, including twice on the LBV course that passes through OKW.

My only "complaint" was that I disliked the food at Goods to Go and I think Olivia's is overpriced for dinner for the quality of the food. We did have b'fast once there and enjoyed it. We had a car for the first 4 days, but after we turned it in at the Dolphin, I regretted not keeping it b/c I did have a sense of feeling "trapped" at OKW...next time I will have a car the entire stay.

The staff was wonderful, so pleasant, helpful and friendly. They gave dd3 balloons at the front desk whenever she asked. We loved the pool area and it was never crowded. The pool was also very clean which I am very particular about after lifeguarding for a few years in college. I realized how much I loved OKW after pool-hopping to French Quarter -- it just had a totally different feel and the staff were different to me.

We cannot wait to go back! It made my DVC purchase all worthwhile. :goodvibes

It was funny after reading the comments about OKW being so relaxing and calm, it was all true! I don't care who thinks it is like a "retirement home" because we all loved it! It was so pretty, serene, tropical and quiet. We also loved the location on WDW property.

So glad your first stay was a winner. We also love the relaxed feel of OKW and the large rooms. When you are in the mood for lots of activity, you can try an Epcot resort. Won't you have fun checking it all out as a DVC member!

Glad that you enjoyed your first trip to our shared home, and that you were able to find a use for those new points so quickly! :goodvibes

Thanks for posting!
Our 1st trip to OKW is upcoming & yr post is really getting me dancing! :banana:
Yes, we do like a car for our entire stay. Like it for leaving the parks at night time EMH or just for exploring the rest of the Orlando-Kissimmee area.
We also appreciate a 'serene, tropical & calm' atmosphere. For our cash stays we get that feeling @ CBR. We are the 'nuts' who request rooms not by pools or foodcourts :goodvibes
Now which resort are you planning on next DVC trip???

Jean

I loved OKW so much for so many reasons, so since DH will be with us the next trip (whenever that will be), I think we may try OKW again or perhaps BWV. I am sure at some point we will try them all. I have toured BCV and SSR, and we are keeping our fingers crossed for a DVC in California which is a 1.5 hour trip instead of 4.5! :teeth:

I am delighted that your trip was everything you hoped it would be!

Looking forward to your next trip report!

HAPPY "MAGICAL" VACATIONING,

Tom

Sounds like you really enjoyed your first trip "home"! We love OKW so much, we rarely stay anywhere else! :sunny:

Glad you enjoyed! When I checked in on this trip I got a citation from the security guard at the gate for having more fun than should be allowed... THAT's how glad I was to be here!!!

SueOKW said:
Glad you enjoyed! When I checked in on this trip I got a citation from the security guard at the gate for having more fun than should be allowed... THAT's how glad I was to be here!!!
LOL, Sue! What did you do???? Inquiring minds want to know. :teeth:

Good for you. I'm so happy that your first trip was everything you'd want. We risked taking my husband's sister on our first trip. It was worth it. She was properly wowed. In October my husband and I are going without the kids. First trip without kids in about 20 years. We are going to check out the other resorts instead of going to the parks all day every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter