Our FIRST family Disney vacation! September 2017!!

ndwiese

Earning My Ears
I am SO excited for this trip!

My best friend and I had talked for YEARS...hoping one day our families would get to go on vacation together. Last year we finally started seriously talking and decided it was time...we are planning our first vacation together..and at DISNEY WORLD!!!!

We are using a travel agent since we have 2 families going ( we thought that would be easiest) Plus, both of us have been to Disney World a few times each, but neither one of us have ever booked a vacation package w/ Disney. Let me tell you, our travel agent is AMAZING! It's so nice to still get to have the fun of planning things, but then letting someone else book everything! She is committed to giving us the best deal!

Back to the trip...
Like I said, we have 2 families going. My family is me, my husband, my son (8 years old) and daughter (6 years old) My friend's family includes her, her husband, and their 2 year old daughter.
Our trip is booked for the 3rd week of September. We will be taking our kids out of school for the week...they have no idea we are going. Trying to keep it a surprise for them. They have been saving change in a "Disney jar" for over 2 years..we plan on giving them all that money to use on souvenirs.
We will be driving...It takes 14 hours from where we live to drive to Orlando.We are planning on leaving after the kids get out of school on Friday, driving 7 hours, then stopping at a hotel for the night, then getting up early to finish the drive. Hope to arrive at about 3/4pm.

We will be staying at Pop Century. This is our first Disney hotel!! My friend has stayed at an All-star resort (She was in her high school show choir back in the day and competed at Disney)
But this will be a new experience for us!! Any tips for PoP will be great!! We are getting preferred rooms since we didn't know what to expect and with having younger kids, possibly having a closer walk to the lobby/bus stops might be nice.

Our trip will be for 6 nights, 7 days. We have the dining plan, at first we were hoping for the free dining promotion to come out during our trip, but now reading more about it, not sure if we will go for the free dining or the room discount. We weren't planning on purchasing park hoppers since it's the kids first trip, and we didn't think it would be as easy (nor get our money's worth) to park hop with an 8, 6, and 2 year old. But we told our travel agent that we will decide what's best if and when it is announced.

My husband and I went to Disney world for a week in October of 2015 for our anniversary. (we had a timeshare nearby) but we decided to splurge and buy tickets for MNSSHP...We LOVED it!!! So we are
going to go again with the kids this time...we already have our costumes picked out. LOL! :)

We are less than a month from making our ADR. I already have our list together and we are excited to try some different places than when my hubby and I were there last time.
Last time hubs and I ate at Tusker House for "brunch" I am not good at trying new foods, but my hubby went to culinary school and is a certified chef so he has more adventurous taste than me. So going in between the breakfast and lunch time, we were able to have a little bit of an American style breakfast and some african style foods! Worked well for the both of us.

We also went to Via Napoli...we LOVED this place.. I would love to go again, but can't justify going there and using the dining plan on it.. We thought about paying out of pocket for a pizza, but we will there during Food & Wine (my hubby is very excited for this again) so those extra food booths, plus a breakfast reservation, we are leaving it out this time. :(

Be Our Guest. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite movie..so this was a must! We weren't thrilled with the food, but the atmosphere was amazing! So was the dessert!

We also ate at Crystal Palace, then Beaches and Cream. Both good choices, and we really enjoyed them both!

This time, we are going to make our reservations for:
Yak & Yeti- lunch time.
Akershus- Early Breakfast. The girls will be SO excited to see the princesses! What am I saying...I'M excited to see the princesses!
O'hana- dinner..before heading in for MNSSHP
1900 Park Fare- Dinner- Love the Tremaine family, and I'll admit we are going here more for them than seeing Cinderella and Prince charming!
Be Our Guest- we are getting a lunch reservation for this place. We aren't too thrilled with the menu choices here, and are really just going for dessert and to see the inside
Hollywood & Vine- Early Breakfat w/ Disney Jr characters. My friend's 2 year old will be so excited to meet Doc McStuffins!
Chef Mickey's- Brunch.

I am loving the changes they made to the dining plan this year in the way of adding a 2nd snack and taking away the dessert off the quick service. We have an idea of where we will eat for quick services, and what snacks are favorites or new ones to try, but we would love suggestions and advice!!

I'll update more later! So excited to continue planning!

Last edited:
Your trip sounds like so much fun. What a great opportunity to travel with your friends. I wholeheartedly agree with you on Via Napoli and the dining plan- we really want to try it, never been before, but have already utilized our dining plan table service meals- so if I can get a reservation I'm sure we'll be paying out of pocket but sounds so worth it. MNSSHP is the best.
Thanks for sharing your plans.

I am SO excited for this trip!

My best friend and I had talked for YEARS...hoping one day our families would get to go on vacation together. Last year we finally started seriously talking and decided it was time...we are planning our first vacation together..and at DISNEY WORLD!!!!

We are using a travel agent since we have 2 families going ( we thought that would be easiest) Plus, both of us have been to Disney World a few times each, but neither one of us have ever booked a vacation package w/ Disney. Let me tell you, our travel agent is AMAZING! It's so nice to still get to have the fun of planning things, but then letting someone else book everything! She is committed to giving us the best deal!

Back to the trip...
Like I said, we have 2 families going. My family is me, my husband, my son (8 years old) and daughter (6 years old) My friend's family includes her, her husband, and their 2 year old daughter.
Our trip is booked for the 3rd week of September. We will be taking our kids out of school for the week...they have no idea we are going. Trying to keep it a surprise for them. They have been saving change in a "Disney jar" for over 2 years..we plan on giving them all that money to use on souvenirs.
We will be driving...It takes 14 hours from where we live to drive to Orlando.We are planning on leaving after the kids get out of school on Friday, driving 7 hours, then stopping at a hotel for the night, then getting up early to finish the drive. Hope to arrive at about 3/4pm.

We will be staying at Pop Century. This is our first Disney hotel!! My friend has stayed at an All-star resort (She was in her high school show choir back in the day and competed at Disney)
But this will be a new experience for us!! Any tips for PoP will be great!! We are getting preferred rooms since we didn't know what to expect and with having younger kids, possibly having a closer walk to the lobby/bus stops might be nice.

Our trip will be for 6 nights, 7 days. We have the dining plan, at first we were hoping for the free dining promotion to come out during our trip, but now reading more about it, not sure if we will go for the free dining or the room discount. We weren't planning on purchasing park hoppers since it's the kids first trip, and we didn't think it would be as easy (nor get our money's worth) to park hop with an 8, 6, and 2 year old. But we told our travel agent that we will decide what's best if and when it is announced.

My husband and I went to Disney world for a week in October of 2015 for our anniversary. (we had a timeshare nearby) but we decided to splurge and buy tickets for MNSSHP...We LOVED it!!! So we are
going to go again with the kids this time...we already have our costumes picked out. LOL! :)

We are less than a month from making our ADR. I already have our list together and we are excited to try some different places than when my hubby and I were there last time.
Last time hubs and I ate at Tusker House for "brunch" I am not good at trying new foods, but my hubby went to culinary school and is a certified chef so he has more adventurous taste than me. So going in between the breakfast and lunch time, we were able to have a little bit of an American style breakfast and some african style foods! Worked well for the both of us.

We also went to Via Napoli...we LOVED this place.. I would love to go again, but can't justify going there and using the dining plan on it.. We thought about paying out of pocket for a pizza, but we will there during Food & Wine (my hubby is very excited for this again) so those extra food booths, plus a breakfast reservation, we are leaving it out this time. :(

Be Our Guest. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite movie..so this was a must! We weren't thrilled with the food, but the atmosphere was amazing! So was the dessert!

We also ate at Crystal Palace, then Beaches and Cream. Both good choices, and we really enjoyed them both!

This time, we are going to make our reservations for:
Yak & Yeti- lunch time.
Akershus- Early Breakfast. The girls will be SO excited to see the princesses! What am I saying...I'M excited to see the princesses!
O'hana- dinner..before heading in for MNSSHP
1900 Park Fare- Dinner- Love the Tremaine family, and I'll admit we are going here more for them than seeing Cinderella and Prince charming!
Be Our Guest- we are getting a lunch reservation for this place. We aren't too thrilled with the menu choices here, and are really just going for dessert and to see the inside
Hollywood & Vine- Early Breakfat w/ Disney Jr characters. My friend's 2 year old will be so excited to meet Doc McStuffins!
Chef Mickey's- Brunch.

I am loving the changes they made to the dining plan this year in the way of adding a 2nd snack and taking away the dessert off the quick service. We have an idea of where we will eat for quick services, and what snacks are favorites or new ones to try, but we would love suggestions and advice!!

I'll update more later! So excited to continue planning!
Thrilled to be following along! I'm in the midst of planning a trip with me, my three kids, my sister and my older daughter's best friend and her mom. It's so much fun! I can feel your excitement. Bring on the updates!

Thrilled to be following along! I'm in the midst of planning a trip with me, my three kids, my sister and my older daughter's best friend and her mom. It's so much fun! I can feel your excitement. Bring on the updates!

How fun!! I think vacationing with friends is so much fun! We know each other well enough that if we need some space, no hurt feelings! We are all just excited to get to go to Disney! Have fun with your planning! Feel free to share your plans as well! I love to read up on all the planning and maybe get new or different ideas!

Wow..I hadn't realized how long it had been since my first post! Time has gotten by me!

Our TA made our dining reservations in March and we got everything we wanted.

Sunday-Yak & Yeti 2:30pm
Monday-Akershus 8:00am
Tuesday-Ohana 3:30pm
Wednesday- Be Our Guest 11:05 & 1900 Park Fare 5:10pm
Thursday- Hollywood & Vine 8:00am
Friday- Chef Mickey's 2:00pm

Since the free dining promotion was announced, our TA ended up signing us up for that deal, saving
us over $300! That might not seem like a lot, but it will pay for our MNSSHP tickets!
She is also working on booking us the Pixar Concert/Fantasmic package for our Hollywood & Vine
breakfast reservation.
So...since we took the free dining promotion, that means we now have Park Hoppers...I have 0 experience
with this. Since we have it, we would like to use it...but not sure how that will go!
Our schedule as of now is

Sunday-Animal Kingdom
Monday-Epcot
Tuesday-?? Evening at Magic Kingdom for MNSSHP
Wednesday- Magic Kingdom
Thursday-Hollywood Studios
Friday- Magic Kingdom until we eat at Chef Mickey's then head home

I am thinking that we won't spend the entire day at Epcot, when we were there during Food and Wine Festival last time, the evening
was really crowded and full of people who had too much to drink. We want to see the Star Wars fireworks and so I am thinking
we could go to HS for late afternoon/evening.
We aren't sure what we are doing Tuesday morning...maybe Animal Kingdom again for anything we might have missed.
We have 1 more person added to our group now also. My sister-in-law asked to tag along, so she will be with us for
most of the trip now. It will be nice to have her along now. She hasn't been to Disney since she was 3! (Shes 27 now) so
this will be a fun experience for her also! She will head home before our HS day, so maybe go there so she can experience some of it??
Not sure yet.

That is all I have for now! My daughter just celebrated her 6th birthday and got a Moana dress...I sure hope they bring back her meet
and greet! My daughter will be so bummed if we don't get to see her!

Our trip is overlapping, we'll be sept 19-26.

I didn't think the Pixar concert was going past August?

Our trip is overlapping, we'll be sept 19-26.

I didn't think the Pixar concert was going past August?

Nice!!
I didn't think they announced an end date, but maybe I missed it! I'll have to verify it with out TA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter