Our GAC experiance

JenJen

Wonderland
Well we went to the park (Disneyland) Sun Aug 28th with my DS13 who has aspergers, and DD10 ADHD with sensory issues and in general had a blast. We went to city hall explained our needs and no problem there. We had issues on two attractions one of which we had a problem before. Autopia!!!! There is a tunnel that you have to go through with fastpass which is the same way you go with a GAC. We explained that my DD can not go through the tunnel (she freaks out in there) and told them we do not mind waiting the time it takes in line as long as we can stand to the side where it is open. The first person we talked to flat out refused and told us we had the wrong stamp on our GAC then another cast member came over and said that waiting would be fine so my DS and friend went through the line and we waited to the side. All though it was taken care of again it was an issue at first :confused3
Space mountain was a nightmare!!!! We had a choice to go through fast pass which was completely backed up of through the exit but the exit had a 1 1/2 wait. Before with the type of pass my daughter recieves they let us bypass the wheelchairs because she is capable of evacuating the ride without a problem (she has no mobility issues) but for some reason they told us we had to wait this time. 1 1/2 is not going to happen with her so I asked if there was any possible way she could come back later (2 hrs.) and the cast member at the exit put a time for us to come back on the pass which I thought was great!!! When we came back after our time was up there was a new cast member there that had no ideal what the cast member before did. He told us there was no way that we could go in front of all of these people. I explained to him and the people that were staring at us. " We are not cutting in line we have waited for two hours. The cast member before you gave us a time to come back which is written right on our card with his Initials. They did this for my daughter because she has a hard time staying in one area for 1 1/2 hours."
It took some talking and some being a pushy mom to get him to understand what happened but he eventally let us up.

The problem here is a lack communication I believe. I don't care if we have to wait but please, if we do, don't make it a hassle to get on the ride!!!

I have to say most cast members are very helpful but it seems that at autopia I always have a problem. We have not gone on the attraction before because they refused to let us go around the tunnel which I believe is not right!!!! At least this time a good cast member stepped in and helped us out. They need to realize that tunnel is very loud and stuffed with people and kids with sensory issues are going to have a problem in there.

JenJen

The issue with Autopia is a contract one with Chevron, the contract basically states that ALL guests that ride Autopia must go through that tunnel area (it's thier advertising), exceptions are not supposed to be made under any circumstances, but in your case and exception is really required, and per ADA they have to make it, so bottom line that's where the issue comes in.

Space Mountain: What a nightmare for GACs since it has reopened, one day they tell you to use Fastpass lane, so you do so and you figure next time will be the same thing, NO, they tell you to go to the exit (I had three different answers in the same day as th where I was supposed to go, first was go to the exit and talk directly with the CM, who then boarded me immeadiately as I figured I would be able to use the regular exit, except nobody told me that they added stairs (one of my issues)! oops! then they said to wait in the line at the exit the next time, no big deal, provides a nice shaded seat to wait at, the next time they said use FastPass) So yes communication is really an issue here and you never know what the rules are one day to the next.

I go to Disneyland quite frequently, so these are from my own personal observations, well the contract thing is what a couple of CMs at Autopia told me once.

I forgot to add that there is no way we even go through Indy. DD has had two melt downs in the part of the line were there is a movie. Like i said before, we have no problem waiting for the length of the line but being in one with ALOTof noise and surrounded by people is not possible. We got a fast pass last time thnking that may help us bypass that part and they still said no we had to go through the film room so we have not been on it sense. It is hard with our group because not only do we have DD10 with ADHD and sensory issues but I have a son with aspergers 13 (who is doing amazing!!!) and I also bring my best frind with me that is bipolar with delusional thoughts. Although he has offered to go through lines while we wait it is really risky with him and better if he just hangs with us. I have thought of wrtting to Guest relations about these issues just to see what type of response I get. I believe disney has a great program and I am thankful for all they have done for us. But it would be nice if we were able to experiance all of the attractions. Oh i just remembered Roger Rabit is another que that is a no no but then I relized so is the ride LOL.
JenJen

I was at DL on Sunday also. We had a rude cm when we were trying to get our Gac. She kept saying "why can't your son just wait in line". I kept telling her that he might kick someone or otherwise hurt them if he has a meltdown. She just didn't get it. That's why we never bother with a GAC at DL. We have annual passes, so we go at 8am when they open, and we're out of there by 11am. I get tired of practically having to beg for a GAC, even though I'm clear on ds's needs!

Next time I get that attitude, I'll ask for a supervisor! I totally understand that DL had a huge problem with people getting a GAC by lieing about their condition. But there is no need for making people feel like cr*p in order to get the services they need. If only they knew how difficult life is for those who have special needs.

Nik's Mom said:
Next time I get that attitude, I'll ask for a supervisor! I totally understand that DL had a huge problem with people getting a GAC by lieing about their condition. But there is no need for making people feel like cr*p in order to get the services they need. If only they knew how difficult life is for those who have special needs.
::yes::
I think DL is still in the learning process of how they do the "needs" based GACS (where you tell the CM what your needs are and then get a GAC based on the needs) -at least I hope that's why they are having so much attitude.
WDW was really bad for a while after they changed their GACs too, but I think things have improved for the most part at WDW.

Nik's Mom said:

I am so sorry that you had to deal with such a rude cast member. It must have been very upsetting.
I do know it is a lot harder to get a GAC at Disneyland then at WDW and I hope you never have to deal with that again,
JenJen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter