• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our Generation Doll Vs. American Girl?

Here is a vote for OG!

I have a 7yo DD who has and loves her OG dolls. My wife made the decision to go the OG route instead of AG because of the $$, and we have not regretted it at all. We visit the AG outlet in Hershey regularly (after visiting the Disney Store Outlet for deals on DLR merch), and will make small purchases sometimes if the clearance sales are cheap enough.

Maybe this thread is old, but it comes up first in google research. All the answers are still so relevant!

I just noticed that Our Generation dolls showed up here in Europe exactly at the same time as our Corolle dolls disappeared from the market. As I need to buy a doll of this size, I was searching information about their quality and the difference between them and American Girl and Wellie Wishers.

I got all my answers here!

I really appreciated the comment made by Sarah (TokiDokigirl5000) in August 2013. I completely agree with her.

The quality is important!

Just a small story to confirm it:
Once my daughter got a baby doll. She was so impressed by the box! But once out of the box, the doll lost all its charm. The face was not realistic, the eyes had an empty look and the body was shabby. She never really played with this doll.
I like a good quality so I was searching for a long time and finally I found this Corolle old model 36cm (14") that was made in Europe. I had no choice, I bought a second hand one because they are not produced any more. But it was in so good condition! Much better than the new one after one week of playing! And my daughter loved this doll. She played with it for 3 years! And the doll is still in such a good condition!

But suddenly she stopped playing. I was wondering why?? And then I noticed my younger 3 year old daughter adopting this doll!

And than the second idea came up!

Whatever you may think the size is important! :rolleyes1
I had an idea and purchased Bebe Cheri that is 52 cm (20") and a miracle! She loved it! She is now 8 years old and it's been two years now and she is still playing with! Everyone is playing! her friends are playing, our baby sitters are playing!! The doll is so sweet everyone wants to give it a hug!

This was about baby dolls, but the same is about girl-dolls.

When she was 3, she got a barbie but she didn't know how to play with. It was impossible to comb and change cloths for such a small hands. Barbie is an adult so she couldn't go to school and play on the playground! My daughter could'n identify herself with the doll. What a disappointment.

So I bought, for her 4th birthday, a 14" doll (still Corolle), the same type as Wellie Wishers. And it was also a great success! But now I see that the doll "got smaller" and buying a bigger one would be an idea.

That's why I am looking for an 18" doll but of a good quality and a nice face and a nice glance..

That's why I was comparing OG dolls and American Girl dolls and lately I've also seen Glitter Girls dolls (althoug they have a strangely big eyes as they would say: "hey, that's strange, I don't understand..."), and Spanish Paola Reina and Nancy Famosa dolls, that both were historically close with Corolle.

I would like to thank all of you that contributed to this thread! It is still up to date.

Yes, I know I'm posting on a zombie thread, but people still want to talk about AG dolls, so I'm game.

I have 4 original AG dolls (back when they were made in West Germany for the Pleasant Company), and they're still in great shape (except for Samantha's frizzy split ends).

DD (age 4) found my Kirstin doll and wanted to play with her so much, but the doll seemed too big. Her grandparents got her the Willa doll for Christmas this year, and the 14 inch is a much better size for her. I think the quality of my original dolls is superior, but I think the Wellie Wisher will is more appropriate to my younger daughter. When she's older, she might get to play with my AG dolls, if she shows she can take care of them, or I may get her one of her own.

Last Christmas, I took my niece to the AG store in NY, and bought her a doll that looked like her - definitely an experience to go there. I think doing that is an event that is worth the price. It's kind of like Disney; going to the restaurants isn't about the food (because most of it's pretty mediocre) but people will pay a premium for the ambience. Personally, I don't think there's any comparison between that and going to Target for an OG doll with their blank expressions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter