Our stateroom host insulted my DD10! What would you have done?

It's definetely a cultural difference.

I was born in Spain, but I have been living in the U.S for almost thirty years. When you visit Spain you will meet some of the most hospitable and friendly people on the planet, yet it is totally acceptable for anyone to tell you are fat. They don't mean it as an insult, and I'm still not sure why they point these things out. When we told our relatives that we don't like to be told we may be overweight they were shocked that they were insulting us. They were also very sorry and our relatives do not do this anymore. You can not however go around your entire vacation educating people. Mind you some of the people telling you are fat may also be fat themselves. I guess my point is that it is a cultural difference and it is not said to be hurtful. I do however think that employees should maybe have some cultural training.

I'd be really upset if a CM called my kid fat...it is inappropriate and he should have known better, cultural differences or not...When in Rome, you do as the Romans do.And in the U.S., correct me if I'm wrong, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it!!! However, is it a bad enough offense to indicate on a comment card?..maybe not.

This reminds of what a CM did to me on my last cruise that really upset me...I was at Cookies BBQ, and I grabbed a drink from what the CM working the station described as "the wrong tray"...the guy literally slapped my hand. I thought to myself, "did that just happen"..I went right back, read his name from his tag...I was oh so close to reporting him to his supervisor...until I thought of the ramifications of doing that, and the grief this guy would have to endure...anyway, the guy ran over to my table to apologize...although he said I took a drink from "the wrong table"(whatever that is)...cooler heads prevailed and I accepted his insincere apology...

As if little girls are not already under enough pressure to be thin! I think the comment was inappropriate and I am not sure what I would have done. Many of you write this off to a cultural thing, and I am sure there is an element of that, but I also think there is an element of sexism, too. Would he have said it to your DS? Doubtful.

You may accuse me of being too PC, but if being PC means we don't comment on people's appearances and hurt their feelings, then I happily stand accused.

Not to complicate things further, and not to drift too far away from the original theme of this thread, but I feel a definite difference between a Cast Member and a Server or Stateroom Host.
The Cast Members to me are the ones you are socializing with, e.g., the members of the social groups you play with -- 50's Night, 80's Night, Disco Night, etc. people who dress up and coordinate the evening WITH you. You are having a fun time with them. The guy who plays Pictionary with a group; the hosts of Match Your Mate, etc.

Your servers and stateroom hosts are there to SERVE you and, therefore, are the ones you tip.
I DO become friendLY with my servers; I become FRIENDS with the CM's. My DH and I feel as if we've come home from summer camp and they were our counselors. We look forward to seeing and playing with them again when we return, provided they are still there.

If we happen to get the same servers, that's OK, but I don't feel the same way about them as I do the CM's. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter