• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our trip was a success with some glitches

triplefigs

<marquee><font color=009933>Triple Chick</marquee>
My DS has a myriad of health problems including CP, Sensory Issues, and various medical conditions. You can read my trip report with more details. Didn't get a GAC at first, but we did after day 3~

Plane ride, first night, and first day at MK were great. Didn't like Peter Pan ride and cried when on the ride because it was too dark and loud. Rest of the day was fine. Everything else was a hit except for HM (which he's seen on his sing a long videos and wanted to ride). We had to leave as soon as the "elevator" part was over. Actually all 3 were crying as they were petrified in the elevator. The CMs were so nice in getting us out quickly. We'll just try them again on a future trip (or NOT!)

Next day was a disaster in the am. Started on Buzz Lightyear (he loves Toy Story). He was all excited and then had a major meltdown in the ride because it was too loud/scary. Get him off and calmed down. Then he wants to try Astro Orbiter (he loved Dumbo and Aladdin). Well we get to the top and he cries and is scared so DH takes him down immediately. Then we figure CoP will be relaxing- it is a "movie" and music (both of which he loves). Well it is dark and starts moving. He majorly freaks, and I immediately take him out again. I do brushing and get him calmed down. He watches that train the TTA going around and wants to go on it. Harmless, right? I had no idea it went through Space Mountain. OMG! I thought the poor child was going to have a coronary. Luckily, I had a flashlight packed in the bag and that did help some. Needless to say, Tomorrow Land was a completed disaster. We left immediately, got lunch, and went back to the hotel. Came back for MVMCP that night and except for having to repeat 500 times that the Galaxy Theater in Tomorrow Land would not move (CoP), it was fine. Once that show started he was ok. We avoided the fireworks and rode IASW three times in a row to be inside. We also cancelled our fireworks cruise for later in the week to avoid any problems. We really tried to be calm and consider what would set him off.

Slept in late the next day and went to Epcot. PSB was great. Then went to Turtle Talk- harmless right? Well he was still so freaked out by CoP (I wish we'd NEVER gone on that silly ride!) that DH had to leave with him. He was so scared and crying that I had to completely leave the Living Seas with him. He just couldn't calm down. I sat outside with him and I cried for about 40 minutes while DH took the other 2 through the exhibit. This is the first time we've ever seen him react this way and it was heartbreaking to see my son so upset. We'd tried to do everything right, but it wasn't enough. So we scapped our plans and just looked for characters and walked around.

Next day was MGM and we went straight to guest relations to get a GAC. It made all the difference in our trip! Having a quiet place for him to wait and using the stroller as a wheelchair literally changed everything. He was happy,calmer, and loved everything. We just stayed away from dark rides or noisy ones. We also brought his ear plugs, and he even made it through Fantasmic. A different kid.

So, the GAC, taking easy days, long breaks, ear plugs, and staying away from rides that could upset him worked like a charm. Except for the glitch in Tomorrow Land and briefly in Epcot, the trip was AWESOME!

We had several PD filled moments and a wonderful, wonderful trip. I don't think I've ever seen any of my kids happier. The link in my siggie to my trip report gives all the details.

Thank you so much to everyone here for the advice and tips. It made a huge difference. Oh, and we all had so much fun we're going back next December 5-10!~

I saw your report on the other board. Sounds like things went pretty well. :flower: :wave:

SueM in MN said:
I saw your report on the other board. Sounds like things went pretty well. :flower: :wave:

I was so impressed with everyone at WDW. They treated us with respect, were so helpful, and seemed to genuinely care about my son. In fact, at AK he had a melt down because Pocahontas would not be back for autographs until later (at Rafiki's Planet Watch). This awesome CM, Mike, came up to see what he could do. He got Rees calmed down, got Guitar Dan to come sing to him, took them around to see the animals, and then brought us back to see Stanley, Rafiki, and Pocahontas. Disney will be getting a letter of thanks. He went beyond the normal job description to help us out.

It truly was a magical trip, and DH and I were very proud of how well DS (and his brother and sister) did and how we handled it for the most part. It was a learning experience for us all.

Hi, Denise!! I am so glad overall it was a wonderful trip for you all. :wizard:

I just cried when I read this post you wrote. :guilty: I had no idea about all of these problems you dealt with. It is so great that despite it all, you guys were able to have such a fantastic time as posted on your other thread. :sunny:

I have had moments when I just sat and cried with Lucy, too. In August when I was there at the MK with just Lu and Jo and my son, She REALLY wanted to drive a racecar....the line during the day was HIDEOUS and there is NO way I could stand in that heat (or Jo & Zack certainly didn't want to) for that period of time to wait.....I told her in the evening when the sun goes down a bit and crowds thin. My son wasn't feeling good that eve, so he didn't return with us. The 3 of us couldn't go on a car together and she wanted to drive her own and have Jo and I ride in our own. That was our plan. Well, the sun started going down quickly while we were in line, and there was just no way she could see anymore at all. We had to get out of line and she just cried (which she rarely does) and said this may be the only time she ever drives a car...... :guilty: I cry now!!! It broke my heart and I felt like a dolt sitting there outside the ride trying to stop her tears and my own started. Embarrassing. This Thanksgiving trip, she drove 3 times!!! :goodvibes It was the first thing we made sure we did.

ALso this trip, in Mickey's Philharmagic, she wouldn't even get the 3D glasses. She told me she would just close her eyes and listen. I pleaded with her, "Just try....It is so cute...." she said "Mom, can I tell you something? If my eyes get much worse, this is all I will be able to do anyway." She said it so calmly and matter of factly like she was resigned. I just cried behind my dumb yellow glasses during that whole show.

We had so much magic during this trip and also had her disability thrown in my face so much, too. It makes me raw. Maybe I need that once in a while....We also opted for the GAC - mainly and really only because of the MVMCP and that show in the Galaxy Theater. We saw it last year and it was a bust for Lucy due to the crowds. We got our GAC, waited in line for 1/2 hour for the first show. Got our front row seating (just DH, Lu, and I - Zack and Jo were off on their own) We sat there at the end of the front row on one of the smaller benches while the theater filled. After about 10 minutes, there was this large family at my shoulder arguing with a CM about how they deserved to sit in the empty seats in the second row (reserved for HC) as nobody else is sitting there. The CM stated it was a law that the seats had to be held for HC. They argued with her supervisor nastily even asking (Pointing to us...."Why do THEY get to sit there? They don't have a wheel chair?" I whispered to Lucy "Open your cane"..."Keep it out".....It was so awful. The supervisor left and the family stayed there fussing and complaining until the show started. Don't know where they went, but it was just so rude. People can be such idiots. (Merry start to the Xmas party :rolleyes: )

I just love WDW for so many reasons, though. When Lucy tells me "That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen" after watching Spectro, or the MVMCP fireworks, or Pinnochio and Geppetto spontaneously come over and give hugs to my girls and take pics with them, or Belle asks Lu to sing a song for her.....so much magic! The CMs we encountered were wonderful and just gushed over Lucy. I felt bad for Jo at some points, though. ;) Although SHE got on TV!! :flower:

So glad your trip was good enough for you to want to return next Xmas season. Hope things go smoother for your DS next trip. It can be overwhelming, for sure.

Take care, :wizard:

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

to see the t-shirt collection for the "Figs" for next year!! :teeth: :goodvibes :goodvibes

Glad you had a great time - off to the Trip Reports Board!

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter