Our youngest are 6 & 8. Would you recommend a stroller?

Our first trip - our kids were 6 & 8- We have never used a stroller and my daughter can be a drama queen ! We were soo much happier without one . I watched my sister fight with a stroller and it was horrible!

If You like using, or imagining using, a stroller, go ahead. What you need to do is determine what will make you happy and the day pleasant.
The great thing about no stroller, is that non-coping just isn't an option. We are a family full of teens and a 6 year old. We go at a very fast pace, sometimes she needed a piggyback ride for a few minutes or after a very late long night, but she never needed ...or wanted, a stroller.
No rules. Everyone is different, and some situations are unique.

My kids were 7, 7, and 2.5 on our last trip. The 7 year olds had no problem with the walking. When we go back they'll be 9, 9, and 4.5. I'll probably bring the stroller just to have a place to store our jackets and snacks. It was really convenient to have a place to put our stuff.

Our last trip we had a 5.5 year old who rode in the stroller more than I would have liked. We had a double and also had a 3.5 year old and 8 month old as well. I don't know that I would bring a stroller for a 6 and 8 year old honestly but I will say I dread the day when we go to the parks with no stroller, I can't imagine having to carry around all our stuff without the stroller.

Our last trip we had a 5.5 year old who rode in the stroller more than I would have liked. We had a double and also had a 3.5 year old and 8 month old as well. I don't know that I would bring a stroller for a 6 and 8 year old honestly but I will say I dread the day when we go to the parks with no stroller, I can't imagine having to carry around all our stuff without the stroller.

When your kids get older you carry less stuff so it is not so bad :) We bring one backpack with a t-shirt and shorts just incase someone dumps a drink on themselves or that mickey ice cream falls off onto them and makes them sticky etc and the backpack holds a couple water bottles and our rain ponchos (if rain is expected) No need to bring anything else. Little kids need a lot more stuff packed for them so the stroller is handy but it is freeing when you can drop the stroller from your travel routine! (from a twin+1 mom)

I love the posts that say that their kids would look at you like you have three eyes if you even dare to bring up the idea of a stroller. My 13 old would pay money to sit on a set of wheels and be pushed around all day LOL Not that we would, but geesh....I don't think that most kids are "against" the thought of resting their legs as much as people think. And my kids play tackle football, so it's not like they are not willing to sacrifice their bodies for the good of something they want to do....

I wouldn't get one (and haven't at those ages). First of all, honestly at those ages a stroller is way too heavy and leads to even more tiring day for the parents. Second, kids those ages are well able to handle the walking. Third, is is SO MUCH easier without having to go back and retrieve a stroller all over the place. I thought I would HATE not having a stroller - but it is SO MUCH better truly. Especially if you're going at a more crowded time.

Don't even tell them it's an option and it will never occur to them and it won't be an issue.

You probably don't need one. Our DS has CP so we always need one and last year we still had a double. We had done a local zoo once and our DD fell asleep watching a show late in the day after miles of walking (this is a huge zoo)..my husband and I tried but could not wake her and he had to carry her all the way to the car. It was a long was and she was out..every kid is differant. She rarely sleeps like that now (almost 2 years later) and has much more stamina..but she is jealous when she cannot ride sometimes.

I wouldn't even consider not having a stroller for those ages. My girls would have been miserable without a place to sit down. We walk miles each day -- early morning into the late evening. It's just too much without one. Why have tired, upset kiddos in the happiest place on earth? Plus, it's a great place to throw all our gear and have a home base. We especially love it when crowds are crazy and we feel the kids are safe and accounted for in their strollers. We have an 8, 6 and 3 year old and everyone has a seat at Disney! :)

I would absolutely take one. Kids these days get too much exercise. They need a break at Disney; how are they going to hold their ice cream, chips, and funnel cakes while walking??!! . As a matter of fact, I think piggy back rides should not be ruled out either........

:rotfl:

OP, you absolutely do not need a stroller. Stop and rest when your kids get tired, just as you do when you get tired.

I have an 8 and 4 and I definitely want to rent a double stroller. My 8 year old complains about his feet more than my 4 year old. And I'm not carrying him!

I love the posts that say that their kids would look at you like you have three eyes if you even dare to bring up the idea of a stroller. My 13 old would pay money to sit on a set of wheels and be pushed around all day LOL Not that we would, but geesh....I don't think that most kids are "against" the thought of resting their legs as much as people think. And my kids play tackle football, so it's not like they are not willing to sacrifice their bodies for the good of something they want to do....

My kids aren't against resting their legs, but yes they were totally against being in a stroller after a certain age. Resting legs does not equal being pushed around in a stroller.
OP my kids were 4,7 and 10 on our first trip, a stroller wasn't even a consideration, but we aren't commando WDWers. If anyone was really tired we'd stop and take a break, or even go back to the pool for a little bit and then back to the park.
You know your kids so only you know whether or not you should have a stroller for them.

Leaving in a few short days - as yet to surprise the family. . . .

Question that crossed my mind is about our youngest girls. They are 6 and in age 8. My six yr old is less than two months away from 7. I think they can ride just about anything and very independent / self-sufficient and would probably look at me weird if I suggested a stroller or wagon to take with us or even rent one as needed at Disney.

What are your experiences with 6-8yo kids and getting to tired to tour by the end of the day?

I have gone with many 5 year olds and none of them ever needed a stroller. We would all take a break when one of us needed a break. I would never bring or rent a stroller.

We went in Feb and we bought a cheap fold up umbrella stroller(Mickey Mouse,of course) for my 4 yo DS and it was the best $20 we spent the whole trip! He loved it, we could go as fast as we needed running from ride to ride, he never got tired, napped in it, it was easy to spot in stroller parking....the pros were too many to name! He will be in it again this year as well! Saves everyone unnecessary drama!

At 6 we used a stroller for my son when we were going to Magic Kingdom and Epcot. At 7 we did away with the stroller completely, but he did look longingly at them while we were there. I love my kid, but he's lazy and whiney. Choose your battles, right?

I wouldn't put my third grader in a stroller. Nor my first grader. There are chairs all over the world in case you want to sit and rest for a bit.

My oldest is 6 almost 7 and my middle one is 4. My 4 year old has leg issues so he definitely needs a stroller. We have a single for our 23 month old but decided to rent a double in addition for the other 2. We might leave the single in the room if we find the 6 year old isn't using it but I would rather have it and not need it than deal with my 6 year olds melt downs. She may be 6 but is the size of a 4 year old.

Our arrival day MK is open to 1am. Our plan is to go back after dinner (8pm ohana ADR) and have time for the adults to ride some rides. We figure the strollers will give the kids a place to sleep for this night at least.

We had passes to Busch gardens Williamsburg this summer and most of the time my 6 year old was fine but sometimes she wanted the stroller. Also we only went 1 day a week not 7 of 8 days straight.

In your case I might start out without one but be prepared to rent one if you find your kids needing one. I think the 8 year old would be fine but I think the 6 year old might need one

They have benches , chairs, ledges , seats on the rides and quick service restaurants all of which offer seating. So I'd leave the strollers at home for that age group. I used to work at WDW and most kids older than Id say 4 or 5 did not have a stroller they just used the benches etc.

To be honest I think it'd look weird to have an 8 year old in a stroller. At 8 I'd of been mortified if my parents suggested pushing me around Disney World in a stroller. But thats just me, to each their own.

They have benches , chairs, ledges , seats on the rides and quick service restaurants all of which offer seating. So I'd leave the strollers at home for that age group. I used to work at WDW and most kids older than Id say 4 or 5 did not have a stroller they just used the benches etc.

To be honest I think it'd look weird to have an 8 year old in a stroller. At 8 I'd of been mortified if my parents suggested pushing me around Disney World in a stroller. But thats just me, to each their own.

I think people must have really small 8 year olds. My son had just turned 7 on our Sept trip and he barely fit in the Citi Mini. His feet were hanging off the bottom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter