Out of Sate Disabled Parking Placards-Use in Florida???

gfox1

Earning My Ears
I have a California issued placard-according to the DMV website for Florida they offer reciprocity for all 50 states placards, however, there was something mentioned about the necessity to possess a Florida ID card. Does anyone know what the status of traveling to Florida with a California placard entails? Please advise.null

We went in september and had no trouble using my Massachusetts placard, I don't know if the rules would have changed? But give it a try... I'm sure you would be fine on Disney property anyways...

Part of the ADA was that ALL handicapped parking permits can be used in all 50 states. The requirements to get one were all standerdized according to national standards. So you do not need any type of additional permit to use them anywhere else in the US.

A valid card issued by one state will be recognized by any other state according to what I was told by the MN Department of Motor Vehicles. Before the ADA went into effect, each state had their own criteria for what counted as a disablity for issuing a ca rd, some had no expiration date, some cards didn't have a name or any type of number on them and all the cards looked different. After the ADA came into effect, those things were standardized and all cards now have an expiration date, a name and a regist r ation number.
There are some things that can change from state to state. For example, some states allow a person with a disabled parking permit to park at a meter without paying, others don't. But the rules for parking in an actual marked handicapped spot are standard.
I looked at the Florida DMV site and I think the part you saw refers to Florida residents. It looks like they want to be able to verify that the person using the permit is the one it is issued to.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif

[This message was edited by SueM in MN on 01-01-01 at 02:05 PM.]

I had no problem using my handicapped parking permit at WDW. The cast members in the park parking lots were very helpful. As soon as they saw it, they motioned us to the parking area we needed.

You can use an Out of State card in Florida, just as any other state. If your card is issued in Florida, you must have an ID to match the person to whom the card is issued. It is to prevent abuses. So, come on , and enjoy your visit with us!

About 6 months or so ago, local newspaper reported that a NJ woman with NJ handicap parking card was ticketed for parking in a New York CITY (not state) handicapped spot. Reason for ticket was city does not recognize other state's card. Rather than fight cityhall she paid the fine.

I have heard/read of nothing since. If ADA which has been ineffect longer than 6 months was supposed to prevent this then NYC is in violation.

Anyone with knowledge of NYC practices, please respond. My mother has a placard and uses a wheelchair. If I take her into the city will I be able to park?

I do know that NYC has some different dmv rules then NYS as I got my driving license in NYC and had to know the differences.

Thanks

donald10.gif

For the first time ever, we rented a mini van - and were very pleased to find that DSs wheel chair would fit in the back!

Anyway - I had left my Ohio placard in Ohio at the airport in OUR van! It never dawned on me to remember to take it. We only parked Handicapped once - it was at MK - and the day was nearly a total rainout, ergo parking lot was very empty. So we parked in HC and took our chances. There were no repurcussions.

What are my options for our next trip? I see two:

1. Don't park in handicapped at airport and remember to take card.

2. Make photo copy of card for rental car in Florida.

I wonder how that photo copy would fly?
Sue

buzzwoody02.gif

I remember reading the story about the NY City case, but I don't remember what exactly it said. I do remember the gist of one story was that NY City would probably not have won and another story said the cities could make their own rules. I also wrote to the US Department of Transportation to try to get it clarified, but they never answered me. From what I have been able to find out, Florida recognizes handicapped passes from all the US states, Canada and most other countries.
As for the ominous "forgetting to pack the handicapped pass," we have done that too. We were staying on site and so we had a WDW issued parking pass in our window (just for parking, not for handicapped parking). I wrote a note on that indicating that we had a person in our party who had a handicapped parking permit at home which we had forgotten, that she had a non-folding wheelchair, which meant we could not use regular parking and the tram. I figured if they wanted to issue me a ticket, I would worry about it later. Since there was information on that parking tag that identified us, they could find us and see that we were telling the truth. The parking attendants did inform us that we could possibly get a ticket by parking in that area without a permit on display. One told us to park there anyway since he could see our wheelchair. Another one gave us a spot on the end of one of the front rows of regular parking where our walk in to the park was no farther than it would have been from the handicapped lot. We did not get a ticket.

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

We were told last year by a WDW cast member in management at EPCOT that Orange County law enforcemnt actually check the handicap parking lots at WDW for violators. I don't know any more than what she told us.

We were also told that the lots are patrolled by local law enforcement, so people parking there without a handicapped permit are risking getting a ticket. I don't know if a judge would be sympathetic to a person who has one, but just left it home. We have explained those circumstances in a note on our WDW parking permit and have not gotten a ticket. I have no idea if someone saw our note and decided not to hassel us, or if we were just lucky enough to be there when the lot was not being patrolled.

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

I know the day we parked without one at MK, it was definitely NOT patrolled.... but only because it was raining so hard that day - there were hardly any cars. We got there around 2:00 - the parking lot was a ghost town..

when we finally got to the park, all we saw were yellow parkas streaming towards us. Of course, due to DIS boards, we were totally prepared, and had a BLAST.

By the time we left, (e-ticket night), I think we were the ONLY car in the whole lot!!! That was a great day!

I can't wait to get back in March, this time with my copy of my pass!
sue

buzzwoody02.gif

On a 4-9-06 trip to NYC I parked on East 51st street at night in the pouring rain where there were no handicap parking spaces and on 4-10-06 I was given a $115.00 ticket for parking the tail end of my car over a NO WAITING-STANDING" AREA and the 17th precinct officer I called on Sunday 4-11 said handicap placards in NYC are only valid on Private Parking lots not Public Streets the ADA act states that all states honor the rules and it sure sounds like someone needs to make NYC law enforcement aware of the Federal laws ... I sent an email to the Mayors email in NYC we will see what happens

Sue

Or 3. Got back to the state and get a second placard for your "second car". I got 2 with no problems.

Linda :moped:

Linda Bell said:

Sue

Or 3. Got back to the state and get a second placard for your "second car". I got 2 with no problems.

Linda :moped:

We have two cards as well for both of our cars

I have a Parking story-We went to WDW one year we were driving my grandmas car home for her. She had a HC plate plus she also has her tag you hang in the window-we did not have the tag. Will it was raining buckets one nite we had the kids so i told DH use Valet parking we were going to dinner at GF, as most know self parking is in another county.
We go to leave and they say no charge, so I thought maybe they did away with the fee for resort guests again. It was not until a couple of weeks later that i figured out it was because of the plate.

So what point am making WDW is very good about out of state HC plates & tags. And my Grandma never had any problems in FL with her tags.

Kae

I have handicapped plates for my car. You can't forget to display them and they tend not to get abused as much. But I also have a handicapped placard for odd situations like rental cars or the rare occaision when I'm riding in someone else's car. Otherwise the placard sits in my desk drawer at home.

ntdalio, I'm not sure how the handicapped placard applied for your situation. "I was given a $115.00 ticket for parking the tail end of my car over a NO WAITING-STANDING" AREA." I suspect NYC police officers are pretty strict about parking situations and I don't believe the placard allows parking in a "No WAITING-STANDING AREA". So technically the ticket sounds legal.

I take mother in my car - with one of those Placards and never had a problem...

I have heard that all valet parking is free to Disability because the handicapped parking is not in a easy accessible area...

we haven't done it.

most of the time I use disney transportation. I have a car so taking that wheelchair in and out of the trunk can easily kill my back after a couple of times...

I don't know what we are going to do this Sept.... Either only get her a wheelchair in the parks.... so I don't have to kill myself getting in and out of the car.... or get her a wheelchair but see if my brother can't take it around in his van.... I would have to give him the placard but it might be the best situation.

mother was so silly.... I wanted one because of the rest stops - without one you can park pretty far from the restrooms... but she was even arguing with the doctor when she was trying to walk the 200 ft and almost fell a couple of times because she needs me to surpose her....

the only time I can get her to use a wheelchair is at Disney....

here the tag costs another $75 on top of the regular charges.... the placards are free. I was having enough trouble getting her to get the placards - the tag would have been impossible for her to even consider....

I have received a $250 ticket from Orange County Sheriff at Disney World. I called the court and was told to send in a photocopy of my handcap hang tag and the fine would be reduced to $20 for failure to display the tag rather than the $250 for illegal parking.

Also, for the comment about a State ID required in Florida. I have two hang tags so I can use one at the Airport and that the other with me for a rental car. Each tag has a serial number on one side. On each side is a permanent sticket which has, in large typpe the expiration month and year, and in small type both the serial number of the hang tag and my Driver's License number. If I am questioned by police I have proof that the hang tag is mine.

We always bring our placard with us for my older sister. We've never never had a problem with any Disney or Orlando citizens or police dishonoring it.

To be on the safe side though, I would contact the board of tourism in Orlando, and they will probably send you a temporary placard if you are worried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter