• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Outdated objects quiz

A+ Wise Oldtimer.

However, many of those items are still in daily use.
Pagers.
Pay Phones.
Answering Machines.

A+ Wise Oldtimer.

However, many of those items are still in daily use.
Pagers.
Pay Phones.
Answering Machines.

I haven't seen a pager or answering machine in over 10 years. Heck even doctors I know don't have pagers, they are alerted via smartphone.

I haven't seen a pager or answering machine in over 10 years. Heck even doctors I know don't have pagers, they are alerted via smartphone.
My wife was in the hospital for a few days last year, and the doctors and nurses all had a smart phone and a pager.

Check out the electronics department at Target or Walmart, they still sell answering machines. I have one today, no reason to pay the phone company every month for voicemail when many phones come with the answering machine built in.

http://www.target.com/p/at-t-el5220...54#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=answering+machine

haven't seen a pager or answering machine in over 10 years. Heck even doctors I know don't have pagers, they are alerted via smartphone.

My husband works for a Non Profit, and they have pagers (or beeper as he calls it), for the on call person after hours. So they do still exist, lol! They also have smartphones, but if someone needs something after hours, they have to call the pager first.

Ah, Quizpug, home of the A+ for 75% correct. :rotfl2:

My grandmother actually had that thing called a vinaigrette, so I knew what it was. When I first heard of the salad dressing, I said they were stealing the name.

That outdated camera had the word "filmo" right on it in the photo.

Guessed wrong for the dress lifter. Guessed right for chantelaine, or whatever that jewelry-looking thing was, and the strawberry grabber.

Pagers, answering machines, VCR rewinders, and pay phones aren't THAT outdated. Some are still in use. Every adult should at least recognize them, even if they never used them.

Oh Dear Lord...I got them all right :worried:. In my own defence, I guessed at some of them. :upsidedow

My husband works for a Non Profit, and they have pagers (or beeper as he calls it), for the on call person after hours. So they do still exist, lol! They also have smartphones, but if someone needs something after hours, they have to call the pager first.
There is also a technical reason many people who need to be reached still wear pagers. Pagers operate on about 42 mhz. Cell phones work on 800 to 900 mhz. Lower frequencies travel through steel and concrete better than higher frequencies and are less likely to be interfered with by things like heart monitoring telemetry and other electronic equipment in hospitals. Cell phones are often paper weights inside many multi-story buildings unless you are near a window.

A+
I missed the filmo, never heard of that before and didn't notice that it was on the machine itself....lol

What is a dress lifter?

I still have an answering machine connected to my land line phone.

I saw that the camera said "Filmo" on it but got it wrong anyway because I thought maybe Filmo was too obvious and they were trying to trick me. :headache: Oh well.

Got 10/12. Other one I missed was the strawberry grabber.

Have you ever seen those youtube videos where they give kids these "outdated" objects (walkmans, rotary phones etc.) and ask them what it is and how you use it. It's hilarious, but dang does it make you feel old.

Apparently it was used by fancy women during the Victorian Age to raise the bottoms of their long skirts to avoid getting them muddy or dirty while strolling down the boulevard.

http://blog.fidmmuseum.org/museum/2013/08/skirt-lifter-c-1876.html

But then there was the risk of exposing a glimpse of stocking.....shocking!!!

If you were not an exhibitionist, you left the petticoat down; only the overskirt was "rucked up". That was because dress fabrics could not normally be laundered, as the dyes were not fast. The plain petticoat *could* be easily laundered, so it wasn't that much of a big deal if it got soiled. Also, remember that when out strolling in the era before the automobile, mud was the least of what you might step in -- horse manure was often underfoot.

I cracked up when you used the term "fancy women" -- in that era that phrase was often used as a euphemism for prostitutes.

I got 9 out of 12 right, which somehow equates to an A+.

I have no idea what these were and had never seen them before:
5516b51c6846c.jpg

5516b51c6dd11.jpg

5516b51c77038.jpg

And I never say this before either, but guessed correctly:
5516b51c83fae.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter