Outdated objects quiz

There is also a technical reason many people who need to be reached still wear pagers. Pagers operate on about 42 mhz. Cell phones work on 800 to 900 mhz. Lower frequencies travel through steel and concrete better than higher frequencies and are less likely to be interfered with by things like heart monitoring telemetry and other electronic equipment in hospitals. Cell phones are often paper weights inside many multi-story buildings unless you are near a window.

Thanks tvguy! That makes perfect sense to me, and see, you do learn something every day!

I refuse to give up my answering machine. I screen calls, because I still get a lot of robo calls, but sometimes it's one of my kids using someone else's phone, or someone I want to talk to, but I don't recognize the number.

If you were not an exhibitionist, you left the petticoat down; only the overskirt was "rucked up". That was because dress fabrics could not normally be laundered, as the dyes were not fast. The plain petticoat *could* be easily laundered, so it wasn't that much of a big deal if it got soiled. Also, remember that when out strolling in the era before the automobile, mud was the least of what you might step in -- horse manure was often underfoot.

I cracked up when you used the term "fancy women" -- in that era that phrase was often used as a euphemism for prostitutes.

Maybe I meant fancy women in the manner you're suggesting. :cool2:

Thanks for the further explanation. I forgot about petticoats and all that other crap fashionable women of the era wore.

Got an A+. That dress lifter thingy got me, though. It would have helped if you could have seen the entire picture haha

Got an A+. That dress lifter thingy got me, though. It would have helped if you could have seen the entire picture haha

dress lifter.jpg

They still look like salad tongs to me. Now if they had posted a photo with another object in the background so one could judge the scale, I might have thought differently.

dress lifter in scale.jpg

Thanks @LBIJim! I couldn't get it to show me the whole thing. You're so right about the scale. We could have made a much more informed guess if they'd used something like that second pic you posted. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter