Outerbanks house rental-dog friendly

smilie

I've been unwonked!
We are looking into a house rental in the Outerbanks for next year. A place that allows dogs. Has anyone had any good experiences? I've never been to the Outerbanks, so I'm not sure what area we would want. Any help in that area would be appreciated as well!

I can speak from experience about 15 - 20 years ago. DH and I used to rent houses in the Rodanthe/Salvo/Waves area with my parents and bring dogs. We stayed in Colington once as well, that's the sound side between Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head. We were a group of 5. Two couples and a late teens/early 20's boy. We'd usually get a 3 bedroom, 2 bath cottage. Hot tubs are a must.

We used local realtors, not Airbnb or anything like that. That wasn't really a thing back then and as far as I'm concerned it seems like a good way to get had by a bad actor. Anyway, we've used Sun Realty and Stan White Realty. Both were easy to work with.

I'll suggest getting as small a house as you can get away with. Smaller houses that aren't luxuriously decorated are more likely to be affordable and allow dogs. Beach McMansions make me laugh.

I'm really partial to the towns toward the southern end where Hatteras Island is very narrow. Most houses in Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo or Avon are going to have easy access to the beach and it's very quiet. Just a few shops, etc. No wandering mobs of drunken teenagers, etc.

We have been to Outer Banks three times, but it has been awhile. We always went to Avon on Hatteras Island which I love. This island is going to be more laid back than the rest of the Outer Banks. We usually just hung out at the beach and played games. We always took the ferry to Ocracoke for a day which was fun. Once we visited Nags Head and Kill Devil's Hill for the day. It is more commercialized and touristy, so it just depends on what you want. I know some people really like to go north, but we never visited that part. I would like to, though.

I don't think you will have trouble finding a rental that allows dogs. I remember seeing a lot!

We have been to Outer Banks three times, but it has been awhile. We always went to Avon on Hatteras Island which I love. This island is going to be more laid back than the rest of the Outer Banks. We usually just hung out at the beach and played games. We always took the ferry to Ocracoke for a day which was fun. Once we visited Nags Head and Kill Devil's Hill for the day. It is more commercialized and touristy, so it just depends on what you want. I know some people really like to go north, but we never visited that part. I would like to, though.

I don't think you will have trouble finding a rental that allows dogs. I remember seeing a lot!
Ocracoke is a mandatory day trip! Love the quiet beaches there and there are so many good restaurants.

I don't know what area you're looking for. We visit the Outer Banks often. We always stay in Corolla, usually the Whalehead section. We rent through Twiddy, Carolina Design or Corolla Classic Vacations. I try to avoid friendly homes since we don't bring a dog and some of us have allergies. But they do have plenty of pet friendly options.

I don't know what area you're looking for. We visit the Outer Banks often. We normally stay in Corolla. We usually rent through Twiddy, Carolina Design or Corolla Classic Vacations. I try to avoid friendly homes since we don't bring a dog and some of us have allergies. But they do have plenty of pet friendly options.
We won't need much as far as things to do. DH loves just to lay by the pool or on the beach. I would like some place with a grocery store and at least 1 restaurant nearby.

We usually rent from Village Realty and stay at the Villages of Nags Head. Some of the houses are pet friendly. If you go to their site you can filter by pet friendly homes.

We won't need much as far as things to do. DH loves just to lay by the pool or on the beach. I would like some place with a grocery store and at least 1 restaurant nearby.
What I didn't say is we still go to the Outer Banks frequently, we just stay in our RV these days.

Anyway, Avon has a Food Lion. It's about a 15 minute drive from Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo. That's usually where we get groceries. Also in Avon - Sunrise Seafood market - excellent place to buy seafood.

Favorite restaurant - Diamond Shoals in Buxton. Great clam chowder. Amazing grouper, scallops and shrimp.

We've rented dog friendly houses 4 times over the past several years - three times from https://www.outerbanksvacations.com/ and once from https://www.twiddy.com/ The first time was in Avon, and while it was lovely, I didn't like the drive there! I remember a 2 lane rt 12 with the ocean on one side and the sound on the other. It felt like we were driving to the end of the earth, lol! Our next two stays were in Duck. Both times we stayed in the same ocean side house (Irish C). Our last stay was in Corolla. It also was lovely, but a bit of a longer drive. I should probably add that you can easily go to different towns for activities, but other than a run to Harris Teeter for forgotten groceries or Duck Donuts - because donuts (!) - we pretty much stay at the house and beach.

There is a Food Lion in Whalehead and a number of restaurants. There is a Harris Teeter a little further south. Our last stay was in the Pine Island section of Corolla. It was a 10 minute drive north to get to Whalehead or 10 minutes south to Duck. The area we were in didn't have many houses so the beach didn't get crowded. The beach didn't seem as wide as Whalehead though. But I'm not sure if it's always that way.

We usually go with multiple families. So we rent house with at least 6 bedrooms. I think the biggest we've rented is 10 bedrooms.

We usually stay in Corolla or Duck and typically rent a house through Twiddy. There will be plenty of pet friendly homes to choose from. The one we are going to this year in Duck is one of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter