• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Outgrowing the Maclaren Major Elite stroller....?

Disneylvr

Always Disney Dreaming!
DD is now 9 years old and 75 lbs. Our next trip is going to be either March, May or September of 2013. I believe the Major goes up to 110 lbs., and I doubt she'll be that heavy by then, but she is tall. For past trips the stroller has been absolutely needed, not because she cannot walk but because she needs a defined space that is hers where she can retreat to during times of sensory overload. Plus it keeps her from invading the personal space of other guests. I am just looking for alternatives because she is very close to outgrowing this stroller. For those that have also used the Maclaren Major, how old was your child when you stopped using it?

I don't have first-hand experience because DD8 still uses the Maclaren Major, though I understand the concern about getting too tall. Have you looked into a Convaid? I believe they have several different models/styles, and I believe at least one is considered to be an "umbrella" style fold; they also come in various sizes to fit larger kids. My general impression was that they look more "wheelchair"-ish, so not sure if that would be an issue for your DD, though I think the alternative is a child-size/small-adult size wheelchair rental. I recently saw a picture of a 12-year-old in a wheelchair that fit her nicely.

Good luck!

We faced this issue with my son (now 22). He has Downs and Autism, we need the chair only for trips like WDW, zoo, Six Flags, museums.

After the Maclaren, we used a companion chair for a few years. It was much lighter than a regular wheelchair, and we did not want him self propelling anyway. (it does not have the large wheels like a wheelchair, and it fairly cheap). One problem with it was that he would tend to hunch forward on it, which meant his posture was awful, and he missed out on looking around while being pushed.

We ended up with a Convaid chair, because what I really wanted was an adult type stroller, with him sitting at an angle. Much more comfortable, he can put his head back, and it is just about impossible for him to hunch. The foot rests swing to the side, and do not have to be removed, which is great too. He flips them to the side, and can climb out of it, and also gets back in and puts the foot rests back into position himself.

His chair is the Scout Transport model, it is really a Cadillac of a chair, way more then he needs to be honest. His came with a headrest extension, which he does use, but we don't even belt him in, there is no need. His is bright red. I got it on EBAY! I was SO lucky, it was never used, a family had another one that they used. This one was not needed, their daughter had to be placed in a facility (sadly). they are very expensive, I think I paid $1000, but it costs over $3000? (the transport model is more $$, but we did not really need this model, but it was a good deal). I considered it an investment, he can use it for decades, it holds up to 250 pounds. It is their largest model, 18". And it can be repaired if necessary. I think it is for 14 years and up, but they have smaller ones of course.

The only issue with Sean's chair is that it is HEAVY. And does not collapse into a small size, it does fold up, but it is still large. IF I was buying it new, not on Ebay, I would have went for a cheaper model most likely.

Have you thought about buying a transport wheelchair/stroller? I believe you can also put 'canopies' on these as well for more privacy for your DD. Spinlife website has some, amazon, eBay of course, and others. Just put it into the search engine . Probably best to invest in one now before she does outgrow the stroller. :)

Thanks for the info! I guess we are going to have to consider investing in a larger transport chair. We really only need it for WDW (and other theme parks) and trips to the zoo etc...anywhere large and/or crowded. For now the Maclaren still works but I can't see it going beyond another year. Pat, can the Convaid be strapped down on Disney buses? We have avoided buses with Madelyn and drive to the parks because it has to be folded and cannot be strapped down.

I think the "transportation" kit which allows for bus tie-down is an option for at least some models of Convaid. Check out adaptivemall.com as a starting point for information (not saying buy there, but I've found they have good detailed descriptions). If you only use it at WDW and similiar type vacations, you might want to try to find one "gently used" - try your state's assistive technology re-use program, ebay, and there are several online sites for used equipment. That's actually how we got our Maclaren Major because insurance wouldn't cover it and full price seemed so expensive for a few occasional uses.

Good luck!

I think the "transportation" kit which allows for bus tie-down is an option for at least some models of Convaid. Check out adaptivemall.com as a starting point for information (not saying buy there, but I've found they have good detailed descriptions). If you only use it at WDW and similiar type vacations, you might want to try to find one "gently used" - try your state's assistive technology re-use program, ebay, and there are several online sites for used equipment. That's actually how we got our Maclaren Major because insurance wouldn't cover it and full price seemed so expensive for a few occasional uses.

Good luck!

We got our Maclaren with some assistance from a local organization and we could probably apply and get some funding for a larger transport chair and turn the Maclaren in. I should check with them now. They also have a lending library but I bet strollers would be a rare find in there.

We got our Maclaren with some assistance from a local organization and we could probably apply and get some funding for a larger transport chair and turn the Maclaren in. I should check with them now. They also have a lending library but I bet strollers would be a rare find in there.

I do see Convaids listed quite often on our state list - though not as "lending" but for re-sale. Whether it's always the right size or style is another question, but it's good you are starting to think about this early and you have some time. We went through the whole process a couple of years ago and it took us about 6 months - first deciding what was the right option for us, and then waiting to find one we could afford. Good luck!

The Maclaren we have IS the transport model, and can be tied down on busses. It has metal oval rings welded and bolted to the chair frame. The couple that sold it to me, did not even realize that they could have said it was the transport model in their Ebay ad, they are quite a bit more $$ than the regular convaid. They even gave me the back extension, the canopy with it. (I have not figured out how to use both the canopy and the back height extension, so we have not used the canopy ever).

But we have never tied the chair down on the buses, since Sean will not stay in the chair on the bus lift (too scary for him, and he can walk). We fold it up, but it does not fold small.

Like I said, Sean's chair is more than he really needs. But, a blessing to have it, he will never outgrow it. Sorry photo is small, this is Sean at the Camden NJ, Aquarium.

DSC07497.jpg

DD is now 9 years old and 75 lbs. Our next trip is going to be either March, May or September of 2013. I believe the Major goes up to 110 lbs., and I doubt she'll be that heavy by then, but she is tall. For past trips the stroller has been absolutely needed, not because she cannot walk but because she needs a defined space that is hers where she can retreat to during times of sensory overload. Plus it keeps her from invading the personal space of other guests. I am just looking for alternatives because she is very close to outgrowing this stroller. For those that have also used the Maclaren Major, how old was your child when you stopped using it?

Wanted to throw out there, if you do decide to get a replacement, I'd be interested in possibly buying the old one if you are interested. I help a refugee Burmese girl with CP, (age 8 and fairly small) and have been hoping to get the family a more transportable wheelchair. Haven't had any luck finding a used Mac WC in our area. Tia.

Funny, I sold my Maclaren in the same way, someone just asked me about it, it was sitting in my basement!

I still have the transport chair, I think I will donate it somewhere, maybe thru Craigslist.

Dis-happy, I will surely keep you in mind! She is still using it for now but probably not for much longer.

Disneylvr - I understand your concern about your DD growing too tall for the Maclaren. My autistic DS used his Maclaren Major until he was 12 - its last use was for our 2007 WDW trip. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture of him in it! His weight was fine but he was too tall, and the only downside was that he couldn't lean his head back (but he really never wanted to). I think that you might be able to use the Maclaren longer than you are thinking :)

We were approved for the Convaid Cruiser 16" through insurance that year (delivered after the WDW trip, of course), and until my DS grew to 5'10" and 190 lbs., it served him well. In fact, we are again in the process of ordering a larger chair and trying to do something with the outgrown one - so thank you to other posters for some great ideas. Thanks for the picture, PatMcDuck :)

We do NOT have the transport model Convaid, so it must be collapsed and carried like a stroller - and it is way more cumbersome than the Maclaren, as you might imagine. However, most times at WDW during our 2009 trip, the bus drivers would insist on bringing my DS up on the wheelchair lift - he didn't mind the "free ride" - and then would would get him in a real seat and collapse the Convaid. It's really a great stroller, and I also researched them on adaptivemall as another poster suggested.

Good luck!

Just as an FYI for anyone that is looking for a used stroller, I was on Ebay last night looking at wheelchairs and noticed several special needs strollers of various sizes and prices.

We had the convaid cruisAire and loved it unfortunately it doesn't have transport tie downs so we had to get a convaid convertible for transport and school. Hated it for home and insurance only covers 1 new chair every 3 years soooo. We got a maclaren elite, but miss the attached footplates of the convaid product and easy foldability of it. After checking with insurance we are eligible this year for another chair and we are getting a convaid crusier with transport options. It folds to the size of a golf bag has attached flip foot plates so no more removing foottray before folding like on the maclaren. We also got the cushion seating for much more comfortable long term sitting. I am hoping we get it for the upcoming trip in November. It is table height so we can roll our DD 11 into any restaurant and she is at the perfect height to eat and is safe in her own seat. I love convaid products and never bother looking any further for any assisted mobility options.

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread but I was reading and now am very interested in the convaids. My soon to be brother in law is 23 and is on a ventilator and his current wheelchair is a bit cumbersome and comes about in about 6 different pieces for travel and these seem so much better. The question I have is he has a large battery (think car battery) that powers his vent and must be carried on the wheelchair, does anyone know if the convaids have a shelf attachment on the bottom so that it could home the battery? Thanks you guys!

Check out there website www.convaid.com if they don't offer it in there accessories it doesn't mean that if you have someone in the family that is handy they couldn't retro fit the chair with it. Call your local medical equipment dealer( site has dealer locator) sometimes they have samples that you can see before ordering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter