Outlets in the Baby Care Centers?

Melissa R

DIS Veteran
We're heading to the MK for just one day this weekend with out 2 month old. (I know, he's REALLY little to go, but we have out-of-town family coming, so it's not postponable.) I have been pumping my breastmilk and bottle feeding him due to poor nursing, so I am hoping that there is an outlet in the baby center that I can use for my breastpump. Does anyone know if this is possible, or who I could call to ask?

Thanks for any information!!

I'm not sure about the baby care center, but we've spent time in First Aid and I'm sure they could halep you out. There is a First Aid in each park (usually near or next to Baby Care). They have cubilces furnished with a cot, a chair and a little end table and I'm quite certain that there is an outlet in each cubucle. They may also let you store your breastpump there since they do store medications and medical equipment. You might also want o look into getting a non-electirc pump. Many years ago when I nursed my DD's I used a manual one at work each day that was very effective (a piston action one, not one of the "bicycle horn type). It was effective, convenient and about the size of a bottle. If you've got a local chapter of LaLeche League they should be able to help if you are interested.

I'm pretty sure there are outlets in the nursing rooms in the baby care centers (and rocking chairs, too!) Hopefully someone will be along to confirm this.

Let me encourage you in the nursing. My now almost-3yo DD WOULD NOT nurse as a newborn, to the point that she got dehydrated and could have died within hours if we hadn't taken her to the ER at 3 days old. (She'd had ZERO wet diapers that day. Thank God the post-partum nurse had emphasized to watch for that!) Some babies just do not nurse well, despite what the militant nursing people want you to think. You have to do what is best for your child.

I did what you are doing for the first month, but kept trying to get her to nurse as well. She eventually did start nursing at a month old, and did until she weaned herself at 13mo. She never nursed enough to get all her nourishment (we supplemented with bottles) but she did nurse. It was SO hard for those first few months of her life, but we all survived. :D And even without 100% breast milk in those first months, she is perfectly healthy and intelligent now.

Just last night she was mad at me for reprimanding her, and said, "Mommy, you're POMPOUS!" (She'd heard the word when her older brother asked me what it meant. Guess she knew it was something bad!)

Another thumbs up to you for getting that brest milk to your Ds in any way you can. I pumped for my very sick DS for 2 months while he was in the hospital and too sick to eat. It was so hard but SOO worth it. I have no doubt it made the difference in him being so healthy today.

now for the park. I don't think you will have any trouble finding an outlet to pump, but I am not sure if the parks will store the milk for you. Even though I know that this milk is a wonderful gift from God, the medical world looks at it as a body fluid that has the potential of carring some of the same things as other body fluids. When my DS was in the hospital and I took milk to him, we had to follow very special guildlines for handeling. You can always pump for your comfort and discard the milk. You can most likey store ahead enough to cover for that day. Storage of brest milk is very sensitive. I would not trust a cooler to keep an even cool temp.

Keep up the good work and have a fun day.

Jordan's mom

Thanks to you all for your help! I called WDW this morning and someone told me they think that there will be outlets - I was hoping for a guarantee, but I'll take my hand pump just in case.

DS doesn't have the perfect mouth for nursing, the lactation consultant told me. He has a weak chin, a short upper lip, a somewhat overly arched upper palate, and a slightly short tongue. Nonetheless, I am still trying to get him to nurse. He will nurse for a few minutes now, but it's not enough to get him by or to get enough milk out of me. Then, in the midst of still trying, I am just getting over mastitis, which, if you've never experienced it, be thankful...it was more pain than labor was! Because of the mastitis, I need to make sure that I empty my breast so I don't risk having a reoccuance of problems, so I was hoping to use the electric pump so I can pump everything out! (Yes, the manual will too, but it will take so much longer.) I wasn't planning on needing them to store the milk - he'll eat it after I pump it.

Thanks for your encouragement!!!

First of all I want to say, "Good for you for nursing!" I did for my two children and wouldn't change it for the world.

I have been to the baby centers at Disney World and they are very nice areas for mom's with little ones. They did have some areas where you could pump in private. They also had a little mini baby store in the baby center. This was really nice for us when we were out of wipes in the middle of the day and didn't want to return back to our hotel for more.

I remember the one in MK being extremely nice and it's located by the castle and Crystal Palace! Hope this helps!

Michelle

I recall seeing outlets you could plug a pump into in the nursing room at MK.

As a back up, you might consider getting an Avent hand pump. I've used one with both DD's (the same one actually) and have had great success and found it convenient in situation where I couldn't get someplace with an electric outlet.

I have the Avent Isis hand pump - yes, it's great and I'll definitely have it in my backpack.

When I used to nurse, I actually preferred the Avent pump to my pricey electric double pump.

Melissa, I saw your topic and knew exactly why you were asking. Both of my kids were poor nursers. I carried that pump every where. I know it's a lot of work. I thought you might be interested in knowing that my DS got the hang of it at around 8 weeks. It was great. After that, I basically nursed him exclusively. I'd say that once he caught on, he got a bottle about once a week. It was amazing all of the free time I had after that. I had gotten so used to pumping and giving the bottle that I had no idea how much work it all was. I hope that you have a similar experience and your DS begins to latch on. I would think you have a good chance since he's starting to latch on more now.

Also, I found that people almost always found an outlet for me and a private room. It's not easy to pump discreetly. :) I couldn't believe how helpful people were. I would just walk up to people holding my pump and ask if there was a private place with an outlet for me to pump. Sometimes it took a while for people to figure out what I was talking about but I was surprised at how many people knew what I was talking about.

Best of luck to you and your little one.

Yup, there are even outlets in the nursing rooms. BTW, if you need assistance, call your local La Leche League Leader or call 1-800-LA-LECHE You can even fill out a Help form at the LLL website.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter