Outward facing baby carriers

Megara5115

DIS Veteran
Hello! We will be bringing our (then) nine month old and while we have a Tula that we use and love, I was hoping to get some recommendations for carriers that face outward? Tula only does facing in and back carry.

He's six months and 18lbs right now and my main concern is finding something comfortable for the both of us. We will have a stroller also but he likes to be in the carrier and I find it easier a lot of the time.

Thank you in advance!!! :)

ergo has a 4 position carrier that offers forward facing front carry that is still safe and ergonomic. I wouldn't do any carriers that aren't ergonomic.

Have you tried outward carrying? I know when I tried it, it hurt my back. I couldn't imagine doing it at Disney. We tend to stick to the back carry when awake and happy or the front carry when tired or over stimulated.

Have you tried outward carrying? I know when I tried it, it hurt my back. I couldn't imagine doing it at Disney. We tend to stick to the back carry when awake and happy or the front carry when tired or over stimulated.
I have not tried it- I wish I could test one out. I suppose I could purchase one and return it if I took it for a test run and it didn't work.

I have not tried it- I wish I could test one out. I suppose I could purchase one and return it if I took it for a test run and it didn't work.

Look up babywearing international. They have chapters all over the country, if there's one near where you live you might be able to get in touch with them and see if they have any way to test one out. I know that there's someone that's a member of my local chapter on a breastfeeding group I follow on facebook that advertises try on events and the like. If you're part of a local parenting group on facebook there might be someone on there that would be willing to let you try out their carrier.

We used a Baby Bjorn carrier when our son was 11 months at Disney. My husband did most of the carrying. It was so awesome to have our little one be able to experience so much with us (although he doesn't remember, we do!). One of my best memories of that trip is riding Pirates of the Caribbean with him in the carrier and a big smile on his face while he looked around in wonder!

I agree. Tried it with my k'tan and it huuuurt!

I used a Beco Gemini for my toddler at Disney for a 5 park day trip and it worked well. However she walked part of the day and was carried part of the day because she was walking. Not sure how much walking your 11 month old will be doing or if they are walking yet but carrying them all day may not be comfortable if this is the first time trying out a carrier. My suggestion is to not just test out a carrier but if you are definitely going to use one, then to try out using one for an extended period of time like at a fair or festival to make sure that you and your kid enjoy the carrier for an extended period of time. I had been baby wearing since my daughter was a baby and never used a stroller until she was older and could go into one of those cheap umbrella strollers but not everyone likes baby wearing. I will say that it's the best for touring Disney when it's crowded it's easier to maneuver and your baby can sleep in the carrier very easily. As mentioned by MagicSoup, there are many different ways that the Beco can be worn so it's flexible.

Thanks everyone! I ended up borrowing a lillebaby from a friend to try out at our local fair and it worked well! Definitely not doing too much outward facing but probably on rides if they let me. Thank you!

Thanks everyone! I ended up borrowing a lillebaby from a friend to try out at our local fair and it worked well! Definitely not doing too much outward facing but probably on rides if they let me. Thank you!
OP ,Don't know if your still on the boards May I ask how you made out?

OP ,Don't know if your still on the boards May I ask how you made out?
Hello! Yes I am :) I can't believe that was when my little one was six months... feels like that was so long ago!

Back on track, I ended up preferring the Lillebaby to my Tula because for me the support was better. As far as front facing, It was nice to have on some of the rides when he was awake (buzz lightyear and peter pan are ones I distinctly rememeber) but as far as walking around the parks me mostly did regular front carry and the stroller. I think too long forward facing can really put a bit of a strain on you. I definitely recommend having both a carrier and stroller... carrier was so nice to have for rides without having to make sure the baby is secured or having a wiggling baby to wrestle. We are going next April and I am looking into buying a toddler size Lillebaby for my baby who will then be two!

Hello! Yes I am :) I can't believe that was when my little one was six months... feels like that was so long ago!

Back on track, I ended up preferring the Lillebaby to my Tula because for me the support was better. As far as front facing, It was nice to have on some of the rides when he was awake (buzz lightyear and peter pan are ones I distinctly rememeber) but as far as walking around the parks me mostly did regular front carry and the stroller. I think too long forward facing can really put a bit of a strain on you. I definitely recommend having both a carrier and stroller... carrier was so nice to have for rides without having to make sure the baby is secured or having a wiggling baby to wrestle. We are going next April and I am looking into buying a toddler size Lillebaby for my baby who will then be two!
Thanks ! Which Lillebaby did you end up with? I'm looking st airflow or embossed.

Thanks ! Which Lillebaby did you end up with? I'm looking st airflow or embossed.
I ended up getting the all seasons but if I was doing it again I would have gone with the airflow. No real issue but I think having a more breathable carrier in general would be more comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter