Overnight stop in SC- Hotel Recommendations..?

my2lovedisney

Mouseketeer
Hello,

We are traveling to The World on 8/2. Leaving from Baltimore, MD. I need suggestions on a good stopping point, I want a little more than 1/2 way. So I'm thinking South Carolina? Does anyone have recommendations? Prefer it to be a newer hotel and free breakfast. I have two kids 12 and 8 so a pool would be a plus or things local to see/do. Thanks!

Charleston, SC is a little over 6 hours from Disney, and a great place to visit. Lots of Civil War history, great food, cool vibe.

The reservation I have with your plan is that Baltimore to WDW is about 15 hours, so that's going to be two pretty long days. Not sure how much time you will have for relaxing and sightseeing.

Charleston, SC is a little over 6 hours from Disney, and a great place to visit. Lots of Civil War history, great food, cool vibe.

The reservation I have with your plan is that Baltimore to WDW is about 15 hours, so that's going to be two pretty long days. Not sure how much time you will have for relaxing and sightseeing.

Just curious (I suppose I could look this up myself), is Charleston "off the beaten path" of I95? I've seen it mentioned before as a stopping point but I often though it just added more time to your drive.

We drive down from the Northern Virginia area and our time is 13 hours (with stops, barring no traffic issues). Baltimore is definitely north of us so the 15 hours sounds about right. We have always driven straight through for our 13 hours, but are looking to stop this time if we drive in November. I'm watching these types of threads for that reason but, personally, I don't want to veer off I95 more than a few minutes.

Just curious (I suppose I could look this up myself), is Charleston "off the beaten path" of I95? I've seen it mentioned before as a stopping point but I often though it just added more time to your drive.

We drive down from the Northern Virginia area and our time is 13 hours (with stops, barring no traffic issues). Baltimore is definitely north of us so the 15 hours sounds about right. We have always driven straight through for our 13 hours, but are looking to stop this time if we drive in November. I'm watching these types of threads for that reason but, personally, I don't want to veer off I95 more than a few minutes.
Yes. Charleston is about an hour east of I-95.

If you have the time, Charleston is certainly worth a visit. But as I mentioned above, I'm not sure how much time a family would have to enjoy Charleston if they are trying to expedite the drives back and forth.

Yes. Charleston is about an hour east of I-95.

If you have the time, Charleston is certainly worth a visit. But as I mentioned above, I'm not sure how much time a family would have to enjoy Charleston if they are trying to expedite the drives back and forth.

Thanks! I should know my geography better!

Yup, last time we drove straight through it was right at the 16 hour mark. We can't do that again, it was pure torture. I'd love to stop in Charleston, but to get to SC we are atleast 8-9 hours. So, that won't leave anytime to sight see and I don't want to venture too far off I-95. But, thanks for the suggestion!

We've stopped in Santee, SC twice on the way from NYC to WDW. There's really nothing there but hotels and chain restaurants. Everything is right off the I-95 exit. That's going to be about 7-8 hours on day 1 and 5-6 hours on day two (based on leaving early on a Saturday morning on day 1. YMMV on weekday drives.)

We always stay at Hampton Inns. The Santee location has an outdoor pool.

I have done this drive with triplets (starting at age 6). I would not worry too much about sightseeing when trying to get down to WDW. We're doing the drive again this year, the kids will be 10. Even with books and electronics, being in a car for that many hours at a time is tiring and mentally challenging. I would use the time on a relaxed dinner and time at the pool and getting to bed early for the next day's drive. We like to get up for breakfast and leave on the early side so we can get to WDW around noon and get a good half-day in at our resort pool before getting our room assignment and going out for dinner.

Last year we stopped in Savannah, GA. That adds about 1 hour on day 1. It's a nice city and we went to Leopold's for ice cream...if you're looking for a place with a little bit more to do.

It has been a while since we drove but our overnight stop was Walterboro, SC. We are about 90 minutes or so north of Baltimore in NJ. I would say it was about 5 to 6 hours to WDW from there. We stayed at a Hampton Inn right off of I 95.
TripAdvisor is usually a pretty good source of info and reviews.

Surestay in Manning, SC. Clean, prices are good, free breakfast. There is no pool and not much to see/do in the area that I know of but it's right off of I95 and I would say 6-7 hours to Disney. We've used it twice now and have been happy with it.

When we drive down (from NYC) we stay overnight at the Holiday Inn Express in Walterboro. Free breakfast, right off of 95, about six hours from Disney, and there's a ton of restaurants (and other hotels) in the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter