• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Package or Room Only?

Captainkidd76

DIS Veteran
For WDW I've always booked room only in case a discount comes out. Should I assume booking a stay at a DL hotel is no different? Are you able to make payments online for a room only reservation or just for a Package?

Thanks!

Not sure about paying online.

But if you book a package and a lower rate becomes available, they'll give you the lower rate. You just have to keep checking and call them.

BFF and I booked a package online through AAA in (IIRC) 2014. A much lower rate popped up a couple of months later. I called Disney, they gave us the lower rate. As it worked out, with the amount we 'saved', we were able to extend our stay at the DLH for one additional night for $67.00!

That being said, it's usually cheaper to book separately, even on Disney's own website. I've found that when you add up the price of a separately booked room and a gate-price ticket the packages usually run from $30.00-$60.00 more. I pointed it out to the CM on the phone, and no, Disney won't remove that additional amount so it matches separate booking. Guess that extra covers the 'free' lanyard, pin, and coupon book. Booking a room alone and getting your ticket through an authorized ticket vendor who offers a discount saves even more.

Years ago, we did a package because we didn’t know any better. There really isn’t a lot of advantages to packages at DL. You can get discounted tickets from a variety of sites, there isn’t a dining plan and room sales occur on a fairly regular basis. With a package, everything has to be paid for in advance. With room only, you can cancel with a complete refund either 4 or 7 Days in advance. You only pay for 1 night when you make the reservation and then the balance when you check out.

For WDW I've always booked room only in case a discount comes out. Should I assume booking a stay at a DL hotel is no different? Are you able to make payments online for a room only reservation or just for a Package?

Thanks!
You're going to find many different opinions on this subject.

I've booked packages in the past. While convenient, problems with our package popped up during travel.

First package - was seating for five on the flight to DLR.
Nightmare start to our trip..... However, ended well after I coughed up $$ to get 5 seats in First Class. It's only money they say....

Second package - was the park hoppers. When the package arrived, I didn't read the type on the back of the ticket.
Instead of hoppers I paid for, we were issued 1day/1park tickets. When we went to hop parks, we were denied entry.
Had to go to the travel office to correct the problem.

After the last problem I have never booked a package again.

For me, it's just as easy to book all the trip components. Plus I find I generally save money. The key is watching for specials.

Once I've booked I continue to watch for specials. If one come up, I call to request the adjustment.

Last edited:

I sometimes book a package through Costco if the price is better (this information is based strictly on staying on site, though). For instance, if I get a dining credit for character meals for each person plus a gift card (which is what Costco often offers), it's sometimes a better deal than booking it all separately. Since I have an AP, I call and ask them to leave the ticket cost off of mine and they do that. When I'm there with my family of 5, and let's say we get a $55 premium character meal voucher per person, we use those for regular dining so it's $275 toward food. We usually get something like a $20 or $40 gift card as part of the package as well.

Often, though, even factoring in the above perks, it's still more expensive to go with a package. I usually go to DL when there is a significant hotel discount so it's rarely better to go with a Costco package in that situation. I tend to get AP deals, go during mini Gay Days or Dapper Days which saves 20-50% on the hotel.

I haven't really paid much attention to Costco lately. The previous times I've looked it's still been cheaper elsewhere. Good reminder to me to put them on my 'check prices' spreadsheet!!

You're going to find many different opinions on this subject.

I've booked packages in the past. While convenient, problems with our package popped up during travel.

First package - was seating for five on the flight to DLR.
Nightmare start to our trip..... However, ended well after I coughed up $$ to get 5 seats in First Class. It's only money they say....
What happened with your flight?!

I am planning a return trip with my grandchildren in December 2018, after several years since our last trip. I have always booked packages thru Costco or Disneyland. I am trying to catch up on so much info that have changed, and wondering the same question whether to book separately or as a package.
I am also fearing the same benefits or perks of staying at the resort hotels may have changed. Any current info is greatly appreciated!

I sometimes book a package through Costco if the price is better (this information is based strictly on staying on site, though). For instance, if I get a dining credit for character meals for each person plus a gift card (which is what Costco often offers), it's sometimes a better deal than booking it all separately. Since I have an AP, I call and ask them to leave the ticket cost off of mine and they do that. When I'm there with my family of 5, and let's say we get a $55 premium character meal voucher per person, we use those for regular dining so it's $275 toward food. We usually get something like a $20 or $40 gift card as part of the package as well.

Often, though, even factoring in the above perks, it's still more expensive to go with a package. I usually go to DL when there is a significant hotel discount so it's rarely better to go with a Costco package in that situation. I tend to get AP deals, go during mini Gay Days or Dapper Days which saves 20-50% on the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter