Package ticket question

Jfsag123

DIS Veteran
We are not completely new to Disneyland, but are much more familiar with WDW. We're planning to return to Disneyland next summer and it will be our first time back in 5 years. We plan on spending 6 nights in the Disneyland resort area with the first 3 offsite and moving to an onsite hotel for the final 3 nights, as DL hotel prices are insane. I would like to purchase the first half of the stay as a package with tickets (PH and G+) booked through the DL site at a good neighbor hotel. However, with a 3 night hotel stay it looks like the longest ticket it will let you buy is 4 days. We plan to do 5 days. How much of a hassle would it be to add the 5th day while we're there? Or could I potentially call and have it added prior to the trip? We do split stays (all onsite, though) every time we go to WDW and I always just stick a 10 day ticket on the first reservation, then do the rest as room only. For a time after COVID WDW wasn't letting me do a longer ticket with a shorter stay online, but CMs were still able to do it when I called in.

Note: I understand that I don't have to do this as a package and can book hotel and tickets separately and get whatever I want, I just prefer to do it as a package. Judge away 😉

Are you planning on doing Disney each day? While we love the west coast parks, 6 days is a bit of overkill for the two parks.

Can't really help with your question though. I think if I was going to do a 6-night trip that I'd do the Disney hotel first and then move to the non-Disney one.

We like packages too, so you're in good company! I might try booking the package and then call and have them add on a 5-day ticket immediately after so that you are able to make reservations and get everything locked in. The CMs who work for the Walt Disney Travel company are really great, we have only had positive experiences with them so I'm sure they would be able to accommodate. I can't imagine them telling you no when you're asking to spend more money ;)

I think if I was going to do a 6-night trip that I'd do the Disney hotel first and then move to the non-Disney one.
While that does provide the excitement of starting the trip at a Disney hotel, it also means that one's last memory of the vacation is at the lesser lodging. I can understand why the OP would like to end the trip on a high note.

Are you planning on doing Disney each day? While we love the west coast parks, 6 days is a bit of overkill for the two parks.

Can't really help with your question though. I think if I was going to do a 6-night trip that I'd do the Disney hotel first and then move to the non-Disney one.
We did 4-5 day family trips to Disneyland in 2017, 2018, and 2019, so not our first rodeo and we know what we're in for. We have no problem filling the days, especially as we like to take it a little slower and have breaks/pool time. It's just been a little bit since we've been there, so I'm trying to reorient, as Disneyland has always felt kind of like a funhouse mirror version of WDW to me in a way. We love it, though! And I definitely want to end at the DL resort, as it would feel like a huge letdown to have to move from the lovely onsite bubble resort to stepping over homeless people on Harbor. We prefer to work our way up in resort level. Nothing against the Harbor hotels, we've stayed at the Hojo and the Fairfield in the past and they were both fine. But we've also stayed at the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel and the offsite places don't compare.
We like packages too, so you're in good company! I might try booking the package and then call and have them add on a 5-day ticket immediately after so that you are able to make reservations and get everything locked in. The CMs who work for the Walt Disney Travel company are really great, we have only had positive experiences with them so I'm sure they would be able to accommodate. I can't imagine them telling you no when you're asking to spend more money ;)
Thank you! And good point lol. I will try just going ahead and booking with the shorter ticket (whenever DL decides to actually release 2024 packages!) and hope they are willing to take more of my money. If not, I will just book things individually.
While that does provide the excitement of starting the trip at a Disney hotel, it also means that one's last memory of the vacation is at the lesser lodging. I can understand why the OP would like to end the trip on a high note.
Yes yes yes! This is our perspective for sure.

Last edited:
I just wanted to pop in and say hi! We are headed to DL for our first trip next summer. My boys are seniors this year and this is their graduation present. It’s part of a two week trip that includes stops in San Francisco, Yosemite, Disneyland, Los Angeles, and San Diego. We’ll be in DL June 30-July 4 and then head to LA. We are so excited!

I just wanted to pop in and say hi! We are headed to DL for our first trip next summer. My boys are seniors this year and this is their graduation present. It’s part of a two week trip that includes stops in San Francisco, Yosemite, Disneyland, Los Angeles, and San Diego. We’ll be in DL June 30-July 4 and then head to LA. We are so excited!
We will just miss y'all! We'll be in DL 6/15-6/19. We're also doing it as a two week trip, but road tripping from Texas out there and back with stops in New Mexico and Arizona at museums and national parks along the way - nothing as exciting as the other CA stuff y'all will see! I'm excited for y'all to discover Disneyland! And also happy that it looks like I will have a friend from the WDW side of the boards around these parts to plan with in the lead up to next summer. :)

P.S. How are your boys seniors??? I mean, it makes sense because my oldest is a sophomore now, but man, these kids are supposed to still be little.

We will just miss y'all! We'll be in DL 6/15-6/19. We're also doing it as a two week trip, but road tripping from Texas out there and back with stops in New Mexico and Arizona at museums and national parks along the way - nothing as exciting as the other CA stuff y'all will see! I'm excited for y'all to discover Disneyland! And also happy that it looks like I will have a friend from the WDW side of the boards around these parts to plan with in the lead up to next summer. :)

P.S. How are your boys seniors??? I mean, it makes sense because my oldest is a sophomore now, but man, these kids are supposed to still be little.

I have no idea how they are seniors! This is going to be a very bittersweet year. I've already had to hold back tears a few times.

I was so excited to see your post on this board! It's so fun to plan something new and we cannot wait to experience Disneyland!

I'll "see" you around! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter