packing cubes?

Oh my gosh, THIS had me laughing so hard! Probably because this is the story of my life....

But this discussion reminded me of something from a few years ago which I think perfectly illustrates how some people really are the type who get the appeal of packing cubes (like me) and some don't and never will (like my husband). My husband decided to take our two young boys to visit his parents for a long weekend, while I went to Boston with my mom. This was the first time he had traveled alone with them, although I was quite used to traveling and packing with and for them.

So I packed a suitcase for the kids. I took the SpaceSaver bags and I put an outfit for each day of the weekend and labeled it with a sharpie, one for each child for each day (Carter-Saturday, etc). Then in a separate bag just pajamas and another for toothbrushes, etc. I explained my system to my husband even though I could see his eyes were glazing over as I spoke. I felt I was doing him a real favor because I know he's not used to getting the kids ready for bed or dressed in the morning (he travels for work and is gone a lot).

Well at the end of the long weekend I got the suitcase to unpack and everything wias still neatly labeled and packed, except for one days' worth of clothes and the pajamas. My husband just had them basically wear the same clothes every day, EVEN THE SAME UNDERWEAR! And of course the toothbrushes and stuff hadn't even been touched

So, whatever I decide to do as far as buying more packing cubes bags or just continue using spacesaver bags, I definitely will not be asking my husband's opinion as I do not believe HE will "get it"!

Are packing cubes truly a helpful thing? Debating whether I should invest in some....thanks!
I've been using my Dot&Dot Packing Cubes since March. They're definitely a bunch of help. They made my life easier and I couldn't imagine traveling without them anymore.

I had to Google "packing cubes" and then watch a YouTube video on how to use them. Everyone on here seems to love them, but for a family of four, going on vacation for 6 nights, wouldn't you need quite a few cubes? They don't seem to hold many articles of clothing. :magnify:

Yes you will probably need more than a few cubes, but they actually allow you to pack even more than you would normally. Short of vacuum sealing your clothes you will not find a more efficient way of packing. Of course the problem that I usually have is that she now gets so much into the luggage that we frequently have to check the weights to make sure we don't exceed 50 lbs

I had to Google "packing cubes" and then watch a YouTube video on how to use them. Everyone on here seems to love them, but for a family of four, going on vacation for 6 nights, wouldn't you need quite a few cubes? They don't seem to hold many articles of clothing. :magnify:
I think it also depends on how you want to pack. Like on my recent trip I used more than one for various types of things: 1 for daytime outfits, 1 for pjs & under-things, 1 for dressier outfits, and 1 for swimsuits & cover ups. Mind you, the trip was a full 2 weeks away from home so I had a lot to bring. Definitely made packing simple. Unpacking at my destinations was also a snap. That's one of my favorite conveniences. Open suitcase, place cubes into drawers, stow suitcase, and done.

Anyone know what the dresser/closets are like for the standard inside staterooms on the Dream? If we have enough places to store our clothes while on the boat, then maybe we won't need packing cubes? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter