packing food in luggage - tips?

Meeko5

DIS Veteran
I'm planning to have a grocery delivery service for fruits and perishables (my kids practically live on cheese and yogurt!) but am thinking about packing snacks and things like cereals in our luggage so we can have breakfast in the room.

Anyone have tips or experiences they want to share? We are flying Southwest so we will have plenty of room to pack a little extra. The SW website of course recommends not packing any food in the baggage, but from what I've read it's not against the rules, right?

Thanks!

If you have a car or can take a taxi, I would recommend going shopping down there. We always drive so we just hit the grocery store on the way into the parks. Makes life much easier and you luggage lighter.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, I would highly recommend Prime Pantry. Snacks can be bulky so I would have them A) delivered to your resort or B) buy them once you are there.

I'm planning on doing the same thing. I placed my GG order yesterday for drinks/fruit/perishables. I plan on packing a bag with my non-perishables, and then I'll have an empty bag to carry home souvenirs. As far as I know, there are no restrictions with the airlines. I may try to find a hard shell suitcase for the snacks so there would be less of a chance for things to get smashed.

There's no need to buy a new suitcase. You can pack your food in a cardboard box. Just make sure it meets the size requirements.

We packed tons of snacks when we went in May! I bought several of the shoebox sized plastic storage containers. They were only about $1 each, and I was able to pack them in the suitcases and none of our snacks (including many different types of crackers) got squished at all! Plus. They could be stacked I side of one another as we ate the snacks, so it was extra room in our luggage for souvineers in the way back!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29

I always pack granola bars, goldfish, peanuts and applesauce pouches. I typically bring the goldfish in my carry on and then the granola bars, peanuts and applesauce in packed luggage. I have never had any issues.

We flew SW and had checked all our luggage. One was a small suitcase (the size that fits in a regular overhead) filled with diapers and food. Anything that could make a mess likebaby food pouches, applesauce pouches, etc, was inside ziplocs. Nothing burst, but I have had it happen with toiletries, so I always do a bag. I took granola bars out of the boxes and just stuck them in between things to fill up weird small spaces. I had cereal and freeze dried fruit in plastic containers to minimize squish. I also brought mini bagels just in their regular bag. And then the same suitcase housed our souvenirs on the way home. :)

ETA: The plastic containers were recycled at our hotel as they were emptied. They were mostly reused containers and a two-pack from the dollar store, so no money lost really. Also, to whomever wondered about hard-side luggage. Ours is not, and all of our food was fine. I would not spend the money on that just for taking snacks on a trip.

I've flown JetBlue with a regular suitcase half full of snacks (other half was kids clothes) and didn't have a problem.

Great tip on the plastic containers, though. We will be traveling with far more food next time and that will help keep us organized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter