Packing Poll: Glad you had/wished you had

sandiedog

Earning My Ears
I'm an overly organized planner/packer so I have a question.
As I pack for 4/13, I'm interested to know the one thing prior cruisers are glad they had and the one thing they wished they had. Don't bother with the obvious - sunscreen, camera, etc. What are the things first time cruisers might not know to bring?

I wished I had brought more of the "in between" clothes. I had shorts and I had nice clothes for dinner, not much in between. Like, capris or casual pants, sundresses, that kind of thing.

I was glad I brought a warm blanket for the baby's pop up crib. They don't have any that size.

Wish I had brought a night light for the bathroom. Also wish I had brough some pop of my own (I didn't know there would be a fridge in the room).

I wish I had brought 'ziplock bags' to put our swimsuits and other wet things in when we packed.

For the kids, I wish I had brought a bucket and shovel for the beach.

Debra

over the door shoe bag-great for all the stuff that goes on the bathroom counter!!!

Fewer in between clothes. You wear bathingsuit and cover up everyday!!!!!

We never used 2 way radios. Don't take them-alot of interference too!!!!

Glad we took our 2-way radios. We used ours a lot.

Wish we had packed a nylon dirty clothes bag.

I wanted to dress up my hairdo's for the formal nights instead of buying an elaborate dress. I paid $25 for a clip at the spa. If you see some rhinestone barrettes, you can easily dress up anything with a delicate hairclip!

Dollar store tubes for the kids. We left them on the islands and could spot our girls because they were differerent colors.CC is the only place we threw them away. On the other islands there were people ready and willing to take them off our hands when were done.

what they say about packing too many clothes is right on the money. I had so many clothes packed that I didn't wear about 1/3. DH on the other hand, didn't pack enough.

Also, make sure to bring your own OTC meds, even if you don't think you'll need them. Almost every cruise I've been on I've come down with flu like symptoms and after the first time I got charged an obscene amount for Tylenol Flu, I now always bring my own.

Mel

This was not on a cruise, but I will pack rain bonnets, you know, those cheapie fold up things that tie under your chin. We paid a fortune for my mom to get her hair done at the Coronado, it started to sprinkle and by the time we had made the long trek back to the car her hair was destroyed. They do not sell the darn things anywhere at WDW. I plan on packing one for all the women in our party to protect the hairdos we will get for formal nights, a poncho and a baseball cap are murder on dos!

Also baby wipes in small packets and small bottles of hand purifier. My kids touch everything, and especially off the ship, it will come in handy before Mickey bar breaks.

Carla

I was glad I brought an lunch bag type cooler. I used it everywhere. I took our own drinks and snacks to all the shows and movies. On excursions and CC I filled baggies with ice and brought water, snacks and juice boxes. Especially on the islands I didn't feel comfortable eating the local food. I have a sensitive stomach and didn't want to end up sick. $1 store pails and shovels are great. We were the envy of everyone around us at St. Thomas and CC. Everyone else had to pay $20 to get the same type of toys. A beach style bag is also great. I used it at the ports and CC to carry all our stuff. Also, I found a large laundry bag at Target. It was great for hiding all the dirty clothes and I didn't have to sort through the suitcases when we got home. One suitcase had the laundry bag and the other had the clean clothes.

Despite what DCL says (i.e. "no irons,") I'm glad we brought along our little travel iron. No, it didn't blow out any circuits, and having it made life a lot easier (never stood in line for that beaten up old thing in the laundry room, the portable worked fine on the coffee table with a towel thrown over it.)

Those recommending a night light for the bathroom are correct, although we found (with a veranda cabin) leaving the curtain open just a wee bit at night provided just enough light for anyone getting up in the dark, plus it let that wonderful Caribbean sun in at morning which was a great wake up call.

We also brought along an extension cord but never used it. My wife said the installed blow dryer in the bathroom was "adequate," but in retrospect she wished she'd brought her own along (I sense this is a highly subjective thing).

We brought along our two way radios, and used them occasionally (during the ressie scramble -- which turned out to be a non-event on our cruise - as well as when grabbing spaces near the front of the line to disembark while at ports).

Like someone else here, I found space in our bags to stuff a small plastic pail and two shovels for our kids. Everyone at Hawksnest Bay in St. John and at Castaway Cay kept asking us "where did you get those?", to which I responded "at the KMart in Manhattan."

I also HIGHLY recommend a waterproof bag to keep your valuables in (money, cameras, camcorders, etc.) when on shore excursions to the beach or on boats, as well as while you are up at the pools on deck 9 (I could romp in the Goofy pool with my kids and not worry about our stuff getting snatched, which unfortunately does happen even on DCL). Mine is a splashcaddy (http://www.splashcaddy.com). ;)

I checked out the website and the stuff looks very cool and it's not too expensive but let me ask you a couple of questions...

1)How do you know which size is right for like a camcorder?

2)It looks like the "waterproofing" is similar to a ziploc bag and then the stuff goes into one of their cases for carrying around but the outer case is not waterproof....do I have this right?

3)Are you saying you actually put your camera/camcorder/cell phone/whatever in this bag and then proceeded to romp around in the pool while wearing this around your neck or waist? I have to believe in the "waterproofness" (sp?) based on what I read on the website however, I would be afraid I would bang it or break it in some other manner. I would think it would be a pain in the neck to carry around while in the water. Especially if you were snorkelling.

4)You could just buy the bags too couldn't you? Without the case just to keep stuff dry and humidity out while in a spash zone?

Enlighten me a little on the subject

And thanks!

I just about went crazy listening to the flute music they were playing at the adult pool. I will have my CD player and an assortment of CDs.
Fewer Clothes and More Batteries.
Don't forget to pack a couple of books. The selection on board is pitiful.

Originally posted by Sonya Francisco
I checked out the website and the stuff looks very cool and it's not too expensive but let me ask you a couple of questions...

1)How do you know which size is right for like a camcorder?

Depends on the size of your equipment: my 1998 Sony Hi8, my small Nikon APS camera as well as a small wallet, keys etc. easily fit into the "Porter" (model 1971). If you have one of the those cute little current models (the little tiny ditigal ones,) you may be able to use a smaller bag (such as the "Dipper").

2)It looks like the "waterproofing" is similar to a ziploc bag and then the stuff goes into one of their cases for carrying around but the outer case is not waterproof....do I have this right?

Correct: the waterproof internal bag "looks" like a ziploc bag (my wife in fact said "why not just use one of those?") but is made of much tougher 6mm thick plastic (in fact, the web page states it is the same sort of plastic used for children's teething rings) and has a heavy seal which is much tighter than a ziploc. The outside bags are made of tough vinyl, but are designed to support the internal bag, not to be waterproof.

3)Are you saying you actually put your camera/camcorder/cell phone/whatever in this bag and then proceeded to romp around in the pool while wearing this around your neck or waist? I have to believe in the "waterproofness" (sp?) based on what I read on the website however, I would be afraid I would bang it or break it in some other manner. I would think it would be a pain in the neck to carry around while in the water. Especially if you were snorkelling.

O;.K. - while on the Magic, I didn't take the splashcaddy into the water in the pool, I just set it to lower inside of the Goofy pool or the open (and wet) part the Mickey pool where I could keep an eye on it while "romping" with the kids. The bag got continually splashed in those areas.

But let me continue. I've gone down waterslides at several waterparks with that bag sitting in my lap with absolutely no problems. Last August, I rode all the way around Castaway Creek at Typhoon Lagoon several times (with all that water being sprayed on us) with the bag floating along on a tube. I've also floated it around various pools and taken it into ocean waves while wading around with my son. Obviously, I'm not going to "bash" around any bag containing camcorders and cameras, but I have not problem taking equipment into and through water in that bag.

4)You could just buy the bags too couldn't you? Without the case just to keep stuff dry and humidity out while in a spash zone?

You can just buy the internal waterproof bags (many campers do this to store food, not so much to keep it dry as to keep animals from smelling it) but if you plan to walk around with them, the outside vinyl ones support the weight of whatever you are carrying.

And thanks!

Someone posted a tip about bringing "wrinkle releaser". I brought some along 3/30 and it probably saved me from 40 mins. ironing in the laundry room!

Wasn't able to find any "travel size bottles" - next time we'll transfer it to a travel-sized squirt bottle.

:)

Very helpful info. I will be considering this purchase. Can't help thinking how helpful it would have been on our trip to Niagra Falls when DH was videoing us on the platform beneath the falls getting soaked but couldn't come onto the platform due to the camera. Not sure I would actually go into water with the camera/etc but sure would help in the splash zones.

Thanks for the info!

I wish I had brought flip-flop style sandals. All I had was sneakers, dress shoes, and buckle-type sandals, and it was annoying to have to put on of these on to make a quick trip out of the room or walking around on the upper/pool decks (they get hot!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter