Packing questions

bigbabyblues

DIS Veteran
I apologize in advance for the dumb questions.

My DS18 is going on his senior trip soon, and we have only flown twice and not since 2007. He is planning to take his XBox and his fancy controller on this trip--I'm not saying I think its a great idea, but he paid for it himself so it is up to him. Would his carry on be the best place to pack that? I know he will have to take it out when he goes through security, but he will be fine with that. Also, what would be the best bag for him to use as a carry on? He has a standard sized Nike backpack and his Nike soccer duffle bag that measures 24 x 11 x 13 according to Amazon. They are flying Allegiant, if that makes a difference, and they paid for each person to have a checked bag.

He knows to pack a change of clothes in his carry on and will probably just pack shampoo/shower gel in big ziploc bags inside his checked bag. I don't think he will have any other liquids to mess with. He prefers a sunscreen stick to liquid or spray.

Thank you!

Last edited:
According to Allegiant's website for carry-ons here:
https://www.allegiantair.com/baggage-1

Your one Carry-on Bag (such as a roll-aboard or garment bag) must fit in the overhead bin.
Maximum size is 9 x 14 x 22 inches (22.9 x 35.6 x 55.9 centimeters)

So, that Nike soccer duffle bag is too large to be a carry-on.

This measurement includes wheels, pockets, handles and decorations.

Pretty sure the backpack might be too large as well, as the personal item can be this size:

Your Personal Item (like a purse, briefcase, or a small backpack) must be stored completely underneath the seat in front of you.
Maximum dimensions are 7 x 15 x 16 inches (17.8 x 38.1 x 40.6 centimeters)

Thank you. Can he use the backpack as a carry on, assuming it fits in the overhead bin? It is 19 H, 13 W and 7 Deep. Obviously he would have to lay it on its side. He won't want to mess with both a carry on and a personal item both. We do have a rolling bag that should fit that size but he already said he doesn't want to use it, he wants something with a strap he can carry easily.

Last edited:

First, I wouldn’t recommend taking a game console on his senior trip. That being said, DS26 went to Disney for his senior trip and there were rules that needed to be followed. Luggage needed to be taken to school the night before and it had to be UNlocked. Faculty went through making suer no one had anything that wasn’t supposed to be taken. From the airport, they were bussed to WDW but they could not go to the hotel upon arrival. Luggage was handled by faculty. Students went directly to the parks, so any carry on was with them for the day. DS26 took a drawstring bag for his carry on with only what was necessary. They had to back to the hotel at 10pm and given room “keys”. They had to be out of the room by a certain time in the AM and turn in room key, getting it back at 10pm (or whatever curfew time was set). They didn’t want kids hanging out in rooms. Also, you may want to check to see how many per room. DS26 had 4 to a room, so by the time they were back in the room and all showered, they hung out, had snacks and didn’t think about gaming. Just some thoughts for you to think about. Not all schools are the same or have the same rules.

I wouldn’t take the game console.

BUT if he insists, I’d put it in carry on.

Backpacks fit perfectly fine under seats, we take them all the time. I take weekender bags to go under my seat. As long as you can shove it under for takeoff and landing, you’re good.

I agree the duffle bag sounds too big to qualufy as carry on.

Thank you for the help!

They are a very small class of 7 and rented a house in a community somewhere off 192 with a teacher and her husband. I'm not sure if they ended up renting a 12-passenger van or 2 cars, but they won't be able to just hang out at the house and play games or come and go as they want to. Their days are pretty well planned out. They are not going to Disney, but they are going to Universal and some other places. I doubt they will have time for gaming, but he is set on taking it with the understanding that it is his, he paid for it, and if something happens to it he will have to replace it if he wants another one.

If he can take a backpack as a personal item he should be able to take another small bag as a carryon to store above his seat.

Under no circumstances do I ever put anything of value in a checked bag. For the Xbox there are several reasons why:
  • The bags will not be attended by your son once the airline takes them. TSA may go through the bag if it hits for a random check. My brother had 1st hand experience of a camera and a lap top being 'misplaced' after the bag was open - never to be recovered.
  • Luggage is not gently places on a space in the plane. It's often tossed onto belts and spots in the plane. Not saying the airline employees are slamming things around but with equipment like that, I don't know how much tossing around you want to happen with it, even if it is light.
  • Bags are stacked on top of each other, it would have to be packed very well not have too much weight on top of it.

If he has to bring it then I'd recommend carry on.

You might want to check Allegiant's luggage policy. I believe they are one of the airlines that charge for carry on bags, so he would only be allowed a personal item unless you pay for the carry on as well as the checked luggage.

This is just a bad idea all around. Even if he purchased it with his own money, I would still insist, as the Mom, that he should not take it. Do you think that it would be worth it if it got stolen or broken just to have the game system for s few days? This sounds like an extreme level of video game addiction. It is not normal to not be able to go a few days without it.

This is just a bad idea all around. Even if he purchased it with his own money, I would still insist, as the Mom, that he should not take it. Do you think that it would be worth it if it got stolen or broken just to have the game system for s few days? This sounds like an extreme level of video game addiction. It is not normal to not be able to go a few days without it.
Not to mention, how does he want to connect it? WDW's network is good but gaming on it would be terrible. I'd understand taking an Xbox controller with a laptop or something, but an entire Xbox is pretty extreme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter