Page Kit Swap for EB Repo Cruise thru the Panama Canal - 08/17-09/01

RRBB

<font color=3333FF>I think I'm in the mood for Ton
Just a few short weeks from now we will all be on the Magic for our TOAL. And once we're home we'll be scrapping all our photos and memorabilia to keep the memories alive. Won't it be nice to have page kits for the ports o' call and onboard activities ready to go as soon as we disembark the ship.

So here it is, our swap thread to keep us in line and on track as we prepare all our goodies for each other.

(PLEASE ONLY POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU ARE ON THE CRUISE AND PARTICIPATING - OR WANT TO PARTICIPATE - IN THIS SWAP.)

1) Cabo San Lucas -- Disfreaks
2) Panama Canal --Poohmomof5
3) Cartagena -- Disfrog
4) Aruba -- psm729
5) Castaway Cay -- GOS
6) Embarkation -- GeneralMax
7) Sail Away -- Nutty4Disney
8) Sea Days -- RRBB
9) Character Breakfast -- Crzy4dals
10) Dessert Buffet -- psm729's aunt
11) Minnie's Fiesta Grande -- Stepht5Puerto Vallarta --
12) Prince and Princess -- rockolamamma
13) Tropical Deck Party -- 4fosterkids
14) Pirate's in the Caribbean -- gofenmom
15) MAGICal Memories -- MJGirl
16) Beach, Mexico, Princess Night stuff -- micmse2003
17) Shadow Box Letters for all the Ports -- JunesGoofy
18) Stickers or other useful items -- MrsScoobey
19) ?? -- LynnTarrant

Alcapulco --
Til We Meet Again --
Formal Nights --

Hi, I found us! :)

I was excited to get the Panama Canal, but now after thinking about it, I am at a loss. Oh well, I will see what I can find! :)

I was excited to get the Panama Canal, but now after thinking about it, I am at a loss. Oh well, I will see what I can find! :)

A friend gave me some travel transparencies for my birthday and one of them is a 4 x 6 map of the US with the words road trip at the bottom to put over a picture. I thought it might be neat to do that with a map of the Panama Canal. But if you want to do it for me that would be great.:rotfl2: Just an idea, for what it is worth. I agree this might be a hard one.

I am looking forward to doing Sail Away. I have some ideas floating around that I want to try out. Where do I find Pixie Dust?:lmao: Guess I will have to use Stickles.

Thanks for starting this --- I think this will make it a bit easier to keep track of the conversation.

This is what I posted in an email earlier, in case anyone needs help or inspiration to start a kit:

Personally as a new comer I would make it real easy…

First, find some 12 x 12 paper that goes with whatever your theme/possible pictures will be- if you aren’t sure look through some of the posts on Disboard, pictures.... (ie. Beach = blues, sands… Pirate = blacks, browns…) might have a pattern might be solid… Next, use these for cutting into:

· border strips 1 ½ - 2 “ (think edge of page), may be cut with a decorative edge

· 4 ½” x 6 ½ “ rectangles ( 2, 3, or 4) for mounting pictures to

· some kind of decorative piece (sticker, fun cut out…) to help pull it all together.

· Maybe a fun shape to journal in (with or without lines)

Each of these elements can be used on a page or two page spread of varying sizes based on the need of the individual scrapbooker.

Looking at some pics from the May repo might give you some ideas! :)

A friend gave me some travel transparencies for my birthday and one of them is a 4 x 6 map of the US with the words road trip at the bottom to put over a picture. I thought it might be neat to do that with a map of the Panama Canal. But if you want to do it for me that would be great.:rotfl2: Just an idea, for what it is worth. I agree this might be a hard one.
OOOh, what a great idea. I love working with transparencies but never thought of anything like that.

OOOh, what a great idea. I love working with transparencies but never thought of anything like that.

Okay, you are both talking in foreign language. I have never worked with nor heard of transparencies...?

Excuse his post, but I just want to get it clear in my head, what we are doing and so that my kit swap dosen't disappoint!:goodvibes

1. From Steph's original suggestion - are we sticking to sandwich baggie size/ziplock bags?

2. We are providing a bag per person - can we limit this swap to a maximum participancy. We have 18 themes - should we limit it to 18? With 100+ fish extender participants, I'm getting concerned about luggage weight!

3. How much $ should we spend per bag - $3, $4, $5 perhaps?

I am so looking forward to putting these together and meeting you all...I think it's going to be a really fun meet.:yay:

I also need some new ideas for my scrapbooks as they are starting to look very much the same.

Okay, you are both talking in foreign language. I have never worked with nor heard of transparencies...?

They are just the transparencies you had back in school. You know on the projector screen (or does that date me?). You print your words, pictures or whatever on the transparency and then attach to your photo with brads, staples or even photo corners. The photo shows through behind the transparency so you don't want it to be too busy. A lot I have seen just have a word or description down the bottom or on the side so as to not take away from the picture.

Hope that makes sense.

A transparency is basically a clear sheet that's used on an overhead projector - like in schools or offices if they haven't gone high tech. :rotfl: In the scrapbooking world those sheets have taken on a new life in that they're not so clear anymore. Often you will find them with pictures or word printed on them.

Here's a card made from a transparency, to give you an idea what it is. (I'd post a page layout, but it's often hard to tell what's transparency on them.)

1277117.jpg

YEAH I found you! :banana: :banana:

I am really looking forward to sharing ideas. Special thanks to Robin for putting this thread together. Please sign me up for Embarkation.

[Hint - Look for waving Mickey hands]

Ruth

Excuse his post, but I just want to get it clear in my head, what we are doing and so that my kit swap dosen't disappoint!:goodvibes

1. From Steph's original suggestion - are we sticking to sandwich baggie size/ziplock bags?

Yes

2. We are providing a bag per person - can we limit this swap to a maximum participancy. We have 18 themes - should we limit it to 18? With 100+ fish extender participants, I'm getting concerned about luggage weight!

I gave everyone on the thread until Friday to let me know... I don't imagine there to be more then 1 or 2 people join us.

3. How much $ should we spend per bag - $3, $4, $5 perhaps?

Let's say no more the $3. Feel free to be creative and spend much less! :thumbsup2

I am so looking forward to putting these together and meeting you all...I think it's going to be a really fun meet.:yay:

I feel the same way!!

I also need some new ideas for my scrapbooks as they are starting to look very much the same.

I know what you mean! I tend to be a very *simple* scrapper! LOL!

For those of you new to scrapbooking and feeling overwhelmed, here are a few posts with some basics defined. I hope it helps and eases your anxiety a bit.

Good to Know Information

Acid: This is the nasty stuff found in materials such as paper and cloth that causes them to discolor, become brittle and over time eventually turns your photos and albums yucky. A good example you may have seen is a really old photo album where the photos have faded and the plastic sheets that protect the photos are brittle and broken.

Acid-free: Good stuff. Products that are acid free are our friends. There is something about acid free products being 'PH neutral...' but all I really need to know is that acid free products are good for our photos which means I can use them in my scrapbooks. Acid free = photo's last a long time.

BUFFERED: Something that has been subjected to the addition of alkaline substances such as magnesium carbonate or calcium carbonate to prevent acids forming in the future due to chemical reactions.

LIGHTFAST (or Color Fast or Fade Resistant): Colored paper or ink, which is resistant to fading with age or exposure to light, heat, and other unfavorable conditions.

Lignin: Sounds like some sort of Latin name for a bug "Cimex Lignin..." In fact it is actually the bonding stuff that holds wood fibers together in trees??? Paper that isn't lignin free like newspaper will eventually yellow and become brittle over time. Not good for photos so stay away from any products that don't outright say 'lignin free' if you want your photos to last.

LIGNIN-FREE: A product that contains no lignin. Lignin is either removed during processing to make paper safe or the paper is manufactured from a base material that is already lignin free such as cotton.

PAGE PROTECTOR: These are protective plastic sleeves which cover your scrapbook pages. They are available in a variety of sizes and can be side-loading to cover scrapbook pages that are bound or top loading which means that the protectors themselves are usually incorporated into the binding and require that the scrapbook pages be slipped into them. Polypropylene and Mylar are two of the most highly recommended plastics for protectors.

PHOTO SAFE: A marketing term used for products sold for use with photos and memorabilia. Photo safe is an ambiguous term and one that is not regulated, and while it is probably preferable to select products clearly marked acid free, lignin free and PVC free, the term has gained wider acceptance in the last few years and if the product is from a reputable manufacturer it is likely truely photo safe.

POLYETHYLENE: A chemically stable, transparent, food safe plastic used in photographic preservation materials.

PVC (POLYVINYL CHLORIDE): PVC is a common plastic which because it is chemically unstable releases a chlorine gas. When this gas settles onto a surface it turns into hydrochloric acid. This acid will cause photographs to fade and discolor.

Embellishments

Eyelet: Eyelets are small metal circles through which the laces are threaded on a pair of shoes. They are used in a scrapbook context as decoration and as a means to "rivet" components onto a page--mainly card stock.

Brads: Decorative two-pronged fasteners used to pretty up our layouts/albums. They're very handy and can be used to bind mini albums. Brads are getting pretty fancy these days.

Chipboard: Aka book board, I can only describe it as thick card board like the stuff your cereal boxes are made of but thicker. You can totally use your cereal boxes (although they're not acid free) to make your mini album. It may be a little flimsy but you can get away with it if the album is small enough otherwise go for something a little thicker. You can find good quality chipboard that is thicker at all good craft stores and scrapbooking stores.

STICKERS: Stickers are one of the most basic scrapbooking supplies. Scrapbooking stickers should be acid free, and lignin free (or photo safe such as Stickopotamus™). Traditionally scrapbooking stickers are made out of printed paper, adhere to your page with a sticky back and are very quick, and easy to use. More recently scrapbooking stickers have become more embellished - some sporting fiber, beads, wire, ribbon and other such products that give your scrapbook pages depth and texture. Stickers are a must for every scrapbooker and come in almost any imaginable theme.

PUNCHIES: The paper shape which results from using a paper punch tool - not the hole left by the punch. Punchies can be used on a scrapbook pagefor decorative effect, if they have been punched from acid free, lignin free paper.

DIE-CUT: A shape or letter cut from paper by machine using a die pattern.

PUNCH ART: A decoration made up from punchies. The components may or may not have anything to do with the final art. For example, a flower may be made from overlapping heart shaped punchies in a circle with a small circle punchie in the centre. Freehand cut a stalk and place leaf punchies along it. Punch art can be simple to quite elaborate.

Techniques & Tools​

Dry embossing: Very funky technique using a stylus to create a bumpy or depressed design on paper or other materials.

Heat Embossing Tool: Used to melt and set your embossing powders. It works just like a hairdryer but it packs a lot more heat. You can buy a special scrapbook/stamping heat embossing tool or buy a generic hot air tool or hot air gun from a hardware store for half the price and they both do exactly the same thing...blow hot air.

Matting: Matt your photos to make them stand out. Normally you would cut a piece of plain or patterned card slightly larger than your cropped photo, then take the photo and adhere it to the top of your card.

PAPER PIECING: The use of cut out shapes to produce a picture. Similar to applique, pieced paper pictures can range from very simple to complex, and can be a page decoration or constitute an entire layout.

CORNER ROUNDER: A type of punch which rounds the corners or photos and mats. A very important tool for those who are working with photos from the 70s and 80s which came processed with rounded corners. Comes in plain or decorative styles.

I got most of the information in the previous posts from http://scrapbook.lifetips.com/. I found that sight by googling "Scrapbooking Terminology". There is a wealth of other information there, too, so take a look.

There's also a "Sticky" thread in the Scrapbooking forum right here on the DIS with links to information others have posted sharing knowledge. Check it out... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1502156

I got most of the information in the previous posts from http://scrapbook.lifetips.com/. I found that sight by googling "Scrapbooking Terminology". There is a wealth of other information there, too, so take a look.

There's also a "Sticky" thread in the Scrapbooking forum right here on the DIS with links to information others have posted sharing knowledge. Check it out... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1502156

Wow, thanks so much for the tips and terminology. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter