Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Maybe...depends how they implemented and if they were "anytime" fast passes. Otherwise the answer is you can only ride an E-ticket if you made a reservation

People pay $50-75 extra (per person) simply to park hop. Park hopping takes time, but can save you time if you are hopping to a less busy park.

Small correction: park hopping just went up. It is now $60 -$80, depending on length of ticket.

I’m also seeing most people respond to you with they won’t pay extra for any of your options. Reminds me of about 3 years ago. Nobody was going to pay extra for Disney After Hours events either. And now, there are DAH at 3 parks with great reviews, attendance increasing & some of them selling out.

So we can’t take what people say now as what they will or won’t do in a few years.

I can't imagine them eliminating free FP+ completely. Paying for headliners, people may swallow. But paying for IASW or TTA? No way. Plus, those free ones help distribute crowds as they are offered dynamically throughout the day.

You aren't thinking far enough ahead. Right now, that seems silly. Even if I pay for a mountain ride in MK, I'm not paying for IASW. But what happens when you have to pay for mountains, and the best free stuff are the Haunteds and Pirates of the World? Suddenly, people are complaining about never being able to get on there because other people just suck up all the free FPs? Well, now there's a demand for paying for those because it's the only way I can get on there without waiting for 60 minutes.

Those rides aren't as high demand now because the top level rides keep them back in the middle. When the top level rides become even more exclusive, it inevitably pushes up the exclusivity level of the mid-tiers. Once the Haunted and Pirate-level rides get pushed, guess what's next?

You aren't thinking far enough ahead. Right now, that seems silly. Even if I pay for a mountain ride in MK, I'm not paying for IASW. But what happens when you have to pay for mountains, and the best free stuff are the Haunteds and Pirates of the World? Suddenly, people are complaining about never being able to get on there because other people just suck up all the free FPs? Well, now there's a demand for paying for those because it's the only way I can get on there without waiting for 60 minutes.

Those rides aren't as high demand now because the top level rides keep them back in the middle. When the top level rides become even more exclusive, it inevitably pushes up the exclusivity level of the mid-tiers. Once the Haunted and Pirate-level rides get pushed, guess what's next?

Also - don't discount the power of an impulse purchase.

ME - (3 months in advance) - I'm not going to pay extra, I'll just have a really good park plan
ME - (standing in Epcot, 100F, 89% humidity) - Lets just pay for this last ride and go to the pool.

Reminds me of about 3 years ago. Nobody was going to pay extra for Disney After Hours events either. And now, there are DAH at 3 parks with great reviews, attendance increasing & some of them selling out.

So we can’t take what people say now as what they will or won’t do in a few years.

Very true, but I don't pay for any of that jazz either, so you can consider at least 1 measly vote to be steadfast... ;)

I get what you're saying.

Headliners are sold out (or too expensive)

Mid tier is available (HM, POC), but also too expensive (though cheaper than space or splash).

They go to Philharmagic. But, the push from HM and POC being too expensive now means there is a 3 show wait! Or, for $5, you can see the next showing.

Mid tier is available (HM, POC), but also too expensive (though cheaper than space or splash).

They go to Philharmagic. But, the push from HM and POC being too expensive now means there is a 3 show wait! Or, for $5, you can see the next showing.

That sounds terrible. I would just leave.

Right.

As has been pointed out, these are hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals. I was just fleshing out the boiled frog paid FP analogy a little bit.

Same here. I said I won’t pay for extra fp’s, but I also won’t pay for after hour events or dessert parties.

OP lumped everyone together. Most of the people who said they wouldn't do DAH most likely never have. Just because one group says they won't doesn't mean a whole other group won't take up the offer.

To OP's credit, anyone saying back then that "no one" would buy it might not know Disney travelers too well. :D

Right.

As has been pointed out, these are hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals. I was just fleshing out the boiled frog paid FP analogy a little bit.
Yep. I think for what I posted (about the $5 Philharmagic FP) could only happen if the FP/stand by ratio increased to such a level that it didn't take many people to make the stand by line an hour long. Maybe make the ratio such that stand by was practically a FP no-show line. Or, eliminate stand by completely.

Feels like the more options that are discussed - paying for a specific FP, the more popular a ride is the more expensive they make it for that ride, etc - the closer we are to getting back to the A-E Ticket Book model
Exactly what I've been thinking! Looks like going back to $x for entrance plus $y per ride. Which was fine when it only ran $5 to enter the park, but something else entirely at $100+.

Of course, stand by will still be an option, but I'm going to guess that they are going to increase the FP/stand by ratio even more, which would further push people into using FP as opposed to stand by. This would also explain the better 60 day FP availability that's been seen for May. Maybe this is what Martin meant by they are already testing things for this? (or at least part of it)

Didn't they once test a FP only queue for Soarin, with no stand by? I wonder if that may still be the goal; eliminate stand by completely for all rides.
That's what gets me.
Disney creates how many FPs are available. They can increase the number of FPs available -- making the "high-demand" things less high demand, but then you make the standy line take forever.

They can (by tweaking the numbers) increase the demand for paid FPs simply by making the standby lines longer. (Which -- what seems what they do in the "off-seasons" by lower riding capacity and decreasing staffing). They ride a thin line though .. because if the standby lines get too long and the park "feels" more crowded because of it -- you will have unhappy guests and less repeat guests.

Very true, but I don't pay for any of that jazz either, so you can consider at least 1 measly vote to be steadfast... ;)
Same here! I purchase zero upcharges, which also includes park hoppers. I consider the price to stay "in the bubble" the max I am willing to pay. As the system is now, with planning, you can have a fabulous time and enjoy all the rides you want, with minimal wait. Not sure that will be possible if some of the changes that have been tossed around here are implemented.

Until I see the options and cost, not able to say if I will/will not pay for FP's. Too many unknowns at this time to made a definitive decision.

Waiting to find out options....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter