• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I doubt it, I think they will make you show a DVC card.

I don't agree; many comparisons have already been made to Aulani, a DVC resort that charges for parking and comps parking for DVC stays. At Aulani, if you are staying on a reservation made with DVC points you get free parking - doesn't matter if you are the DVC member or the DVC member's guest. The guest gets the parking benefit.

I've wrote disney in the past, beyond getting a gift card I don't think it really matters though. The people you talk to (they'll call you) really don't have the power to do anything beyond comp you. I dont feel comfortable calling to just get comped. I don't want to be a complainer just to "get something."
The point is to let them know many guests think the same way and are unhappy, not to “get something”.

Actually there's already ppl on this thread who yes have said this fee has changed their minds about staying on site. A friend of mine planned to stay on site, will no longer be doing so.

We have been pass holders since 2002, live 2 hours away, and stay at the resorts twice a month, usually 2 - 3 nights per visit. I will not pay to park there. That is a complete slap in the face, and will stay offsite instead. Foolish move on Disney's part.

Just a question: I thought they wanted to stop people who park at a resort, eat a meal, then go to the park. They get to park for free. I know they have a three hour limit for day guests, but is this enforced?

No, it's not really enforced.

The technology exists to easily enforce but the question is what to do with violators. My city has neighborhoods with two hour parking for nonresidents (of that neighborhood, anyone without a placard) so meter maids walk the neighborhood and scan plates and return after two hours and rescan plates and write tickets if you've not moved.

Disney could pretty easily scan a plate when enterring, require pull in parking, and drive around a cart scanning plates a few times a day and know who is a resort guest (plate tied you account) and who said they were parking for 3 hours free but went to the park all day.

But what does Disney do with violations? Write parking ticket fines? Boot cars in lots? Tow cars? Turn away guest cars who are repeat offenders (and lose their revenue if abandoning an ADR)?

No, it's not really enforced.

The technology exists to easily enforce but the question is what to do with violators. My city has neighborhoods with two hour parking for nonresidents (of that neighborhood, anyone without a placard) so meter maids walk the neighborhood and scan plates and return after two hours and rescan plates and write tickets if you've not moved.

Disney could pretty easily scan a plate when enterring, require pull in parking, and drive around a cart scanning plates a few times a day and know who is a resort guest (plate tied you account) and who said they were parking for 3 hours free but went to the park all day.

But what does Disney do with violations? Write parking ticket fines? Boot cars in lots? Tow cars? Turn away guest cars who are repeat offenders (and lose their revenue if abandoning an ADR)?

Plus that takes man hours and I don't think Disney is trying to add more jobs unless they are gaining something from it like parking fees or something.

Its weird. On here its been some people don't mind it, and some people hate it

On social media, I haven't seen the same, most people are complaining, hating it, etc etc..

So I am curious, are we the more crazy Disney people on the boards and the people on social media are the casual visitor ?

As in are they the majority of people who go, or are we? Statistic wise, I'd be very curious. I would figure a majority of people who do go don't come to boards like this since there aren't millions of members but who knows

We have been pass holders since 2002, live 2 hours away, and stay at the resorts twice a month, usually 2 - 3 nights per visit. I will not pay to park there. That is a complete slap in the face, and will stay offsite instead. Foolish move on Disney's part.

A lot of off site charge it or blend it into a resort fee. And then you are further away spending more in gas and time getting around.

If the rumors are true , that Disney resort guests will soon be paying to park at their resort , then it won't be too long before we will also be paying to park at the parks as well . It makes no sense whatsoever to me to tell me I have a $_ resort parking fee per night but hey parking is still free at the parks . It may not happen in a month or two after this resort parking fee is implemented but in a year or so from now... Disney is , with each one of these cash grab tactics reminding me of the Beatles song Tax Man...
" If you drive a car I'll tax the street ,
If you try to sit I'll tax your seat ,
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat ,
If you try to walk I'll tax your feet "

Wonder how well this would go down with DVC?

Does anyone with knowledge of DVC ins-and-outs know what contractual obligations Disney has to provide parking to owners? Or can they do anything? Complimentary parking for "original" members, resale pays? Or everyone pays? Or free for everyone?

I would hope that DVC members wouldn't have to pay for parking. We already pay to up-keep the parking lots.

Like - logistically, who is going to handle charging you for parking? The security guard at the shack at the front?

I would assume they would easily figure something out...

I don't agree; many comparisons have already been made to Aulani, a DVC resort that charges for parking and comps parking for DVC stays. At Aulani, if you are staying on a reservation made with DVC points you get free parking - doesn't matter if you are the DVC member or the DVC member's guest. The guest gets the parking benefit.

I didn't know they did that. Thanks for sharing that.

I guess time will tell about that - yes they will lose some people to off site but if there are plenty of others waiting to get in (seems like you see a lot of times now people not able to find availability they want) and the get this parking fee on top if it OR more people not bringing a car (using DME or whatever) and thus "captive" to Disney then they will take that trade off

On social media, I haven't seen the same, most people are complaining, hating it, etc etc..

So I am curious, are we the more crazy Disney people on the boards and the people on social media are the casual visitor ?

As in are they the majority of people who go, or are we? Statistic wise, I'd be very curious. I would figure a majority of people who do go don't come to boards like this since there aren't millions of members but who knows

I don’t love or hate it I see it as an industry standard for touristy places and places short on parking.

I don’t see the point of it at all wdw resorts but there are some that parking is so hard to find. This won’t easily fix those parking at hotels to bybpass parking at the parks.

This is just so tacky. I have never had a single issue finding a parking spot at a resort and this is clearly just a gross cash grab. I have a long trip starting next week and if they try to add this on so last minute, I will cancel my two booked trips coming up where I have time to reschedule. I’m sure they can fill those rooms, but I doubt they will match my shopping habit.

I think there probably are more people on here with "Disney colored glasses" that will give them more of a pass

Also, I think social media just brings out the complainers so I am sure there are some others that don't have a big deal but they don't feel as motivated to post and/or don't want the backlash of people yelling at them for having a "wrong" opinion

Is there any enforcement of people parking at Disney Springs or the Water Parks and hoping on a bus and going to the parks that way?

Is there any enforcement of people parking at Disney Springs or the Water Parks and hoping on a bus and going to the parks that way?

No, but that's such a so far and out of the way method of being a cheap scumbag not enough people do it for Disney to do anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter