Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
This is a very salient post. As many have stated, Disney will continue to make money and there will always be others to take the place of those who opt to stop going. But, what you said in bold above struck home. Over the past few years, they have continued to make decisions that impact how I feel about them, and most of them haven't been decisions with which I agree. I know it doesn't matter--they're a business. However, they're a business that once demanded the best, and we paid for it. Now, they demand the middling many times, and we still pay for it. That's fine. But, the honeymoon is definitely over. We'll continue to go as we're DVC members, but even so, we're edging ever so close to selling and not returning. The magical part is largely gone. And, that's why I voted OTHER in the poll.
I'm soooo glad I never bought into DVC. I'd probably selling at this point myself.

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future):
  1. Not at all
  2. I might consider staying off site
  3. I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that
  4. I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead
  5. I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future
  6. Other (please explain)

1. Won't impact my travel
2. because I am already staying offsite
3. so I will keep that reservation
4. nothing to cancel, already there
5. I will keep returning to Disney, have three trips booked, offsite
6. This is me, because none of the above fit me exactly.

In last year had about 6 trips onsite, 2 offsite but after our "security check" experience in January I decided the next few trips would be offsite to see if they get that thing fixed. 3 trips now booked offsite; getting way more in my room for the money. Was keeping booking onsite an option if they get the security thing fixed but now that they have added this fee ............ I feel no desire at all the return to onsite unless they bring their hotel rates in line with "industry standards" as well. I'm perfectly happy getting more for less. I go too often to worry about the bubble. Nothing else they offer me is a perk.

Does anyone really think, deep down in the sub-cockle are of their heart, that this will move the needle in a statistically significant manner? People will moan here and claim they are never going back but will end up picking up their toys and will still vacation exactly like they always have.

Will there be some folks that move offsite? Sure. Will there be many? Unlikely. Will those people that stay offsite still go to the parks even if they stay offsite and hand the mouse their hard earned cash? Yeppers.

I don't like this change. I prefer it not happen. I also know in the end it will likely not cause me to spend less money with the mouse. YMMV.

I'm soooo glad I never bought into DVC. I'd probably selling at this point myself.
We've had largely wonderful experiences with DVC, and I don't regret the purchase at all. The new parking fee doesn't affect us, and unless DVD opts to cut our dues by taking the parking lot mnx out of the equation then adding the parking fee, then it's a bit of a non-player for us. However, I still can feel empathetic with those it will affect because it's nothing but a money grab. Disney keeps nodding toward "industry standard" as if that's a worthy goal--they used to SET the industry standard. The difference in philosophy?
M-O-N-E-Y

Does anyone really think, deep down in the sub-cockle are of their heart, that this will move the needle in a statistically significant manner? People will moan here and claim they are never going back but will end up picking up their toys and will still vacation exactly like they always have.

Will there be some folks that move offsite? Sure. Will there be many? Unlikely. Will those people that stay offsite still go to the parks even if they stay offsite and hand the mouse their hard earned cash? Yeppers.

I don't like this change. I prefer it not happen. I also know in the end it will likely not cause me to spend less money with the mouse. YMMV.

Move needle as in them changing their mind? No, talk about egg on your face, they already changed the website. They might find some way to pacify people ... maybe offer it free with full packages (after they sell you the dining plan), maybe include it with rack rate and just treat it like any other discount.

Will it move folks offsite? I have to say just today I've seen more people say they have already adjusted their trips, more actual response than I've seen about other issues. I think there are lots who hate these fees and will use this as the last straw to book at a nice resort offsite (there are many and more on the way), cutting that cord they've had trouble cutting.

Will offsite still go to parks and give Mouse money? Sure. It changes nothing for those already staying offsite AND Disney needs those people way more than it needs it's own hotel guests. Overall, yes I will spend less with the Mouse because (1) they won't get my hotel money (2) they won't get my hotel food court/restaurant money (3) they won't get my breakfast money and possibly not dinner depending on time of year .... too many options with really good food at DS.

No. Not at all. But I feel better that I sent an email.

EMAIL EMAIL is the way to go. Phone calls are nothing more than sounding boards to make you feel better and it will go no where.

Bottom line this is all about stock holders !!

I am a stockholder, have been over 30 years. I am NOT HAPPY about this particular move. I think it's tacky and unacceptable given the high rack rate of Disney rooms, higher than they deserve ... but acceptable because the extras (like parking) were included. I think Disney World hotels are losing what made them special and is turning into just another generic brand.

Last edited:

I’m a massively loyal Disney enthusiast who spends thousands of dollars annually with them (just about every discretionary dollar I have, in fact). But I really do believe that I’ll be taking my sub cockle to other vacation destinations.

I may not abandon Disney altogether, but this parking fee thing is enough for me to want to spread the wealth. If Disney is going to be like everyone else, I might as well give everyone else a try.

The fee is for "overnight" guests (for now anyway). They'll probably check the lots overnight.

I mean .. sure .. if you are charging this much for parking, I guess they can afford to pay a cast member or two to walk around and be "meter maids" and make sure everyone is paying their parking fee. How "magical".

I chose 'Other' for my poll response. We live fairly close to the parks and typically just drive there, spend a few hours and head home. That won't change. On occasion however we would spend a night, maybe two at a resort just to make it feel like a little vacation. That's always a little hard to justify when you live close and this certainly isn't going to help. I can see the number of times we do that now being reduced...perhaps even to zero. So, while it won't affect our park attendance much, it will leave a room empty that would have otherwise been occupied.

EMAIL EMAIL is the way to go. Phone calls are nothing more than sounding boards to make you feel better and it will go no where.

I don't know. I got a pretty automatic/generic email response today saying thank you for your email.....blah, blah, blah.....someone will contact you within 7 days. Is that standard?

I don't know. I got a pretty automatic/generic email response today saying thank you for your email.....blah, blah, blah.....someone will contact you within 7 days. Is that standard?

Yes. I have only emailed a few times, things that were very important to me ... and I got that response each time so you know you are in the que. I got a call back each time. I had "big" issues, I didn't ask for anything, only wanted to educate them on my experience. Didn't even give them my phone number ... but we all know they know all about us. :D

Imagine they are being flooded and you will just get an acknowledgement first ... then we have to see if they plan to respond with actual responses. Emails are at least written records they have ... phone calls are to phone CMs that just check a box, read their canned statements and move on to the next call.

Last edited:
I chose "I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that", mainly because the parking fee won't affect me this time. Staying at All Star Movies (mainly because I think my young kids will get a kick out of the big larger than life Disney-themed sculptures all around it) .. so .. I am choosing to pay a lot more than a similar size hotel off-site.

I am planning on getting an AP this November for that trip and potentially two other short ones in 2019.

I will be looking to stay offsite for those. It's not about the cost, for any purchase, I think about value. What does that price get me and do I feel it is worth it? Sure, I can afford an extra $13-24 a night, but what is that parking fee getting me? The ability to park my vehicle that I drove 9 hours out of my way to be able to spend money there? What's my other option to avoid this "fee"? Fly? It just adds no value and because it sticks out as this line item, it bothers me to pay that.

I've stayed offsite for two of my recent trips (including one last year) .. it was really great. Getting in a car and driving to the parks probably is quicker than waiting on a bus anyway, plus we had the convenience of having a full kitchen to eat breakfast in before you go.

You do miss being in the "bubble", but that was overshadowed by the fun we had at the condo we shared with 3 other families and the non-park days we spent in the lanai pool and at the condo community pool.

Besides 60-day fast passes, I'm not sure what value I am getting for the extra cost I am paying for a Disney Resort.

I just feel Disney, like any company, doesn't care about the long-term guest. Those of us that come every year or so are already on the hook .. so if we don't come back .. not a big loss, there are plenty of new guests waiting in the wings that won't know that parking "used to be free" and tickets used to be half of what they are now.

Just like the big phone and cable companies. You've been a loyal customer for years and someone new walks in the door and gets a MUCH cheaper rate and better services than you are. And unless you are diligent, you just keep paying your bill and they gladly take your money.

So Disney is probably banking on the "complainers" going away and just having room for new guests who have more money to spend.

Interesting that at this point almost 62% (maybe more if you add some of us others) are saying in one way or another they may/will not be future Disney hotel guests ......... and we are the hard core Disney fans.

I wonder what the impact will be to those that are new to Disney, comparing Disney hotels and now fees with offsite hotels and resorts. Will never know but I feel like of all their "new offerings" this one seems to have taken the pushback to a higher level.

I usually don't mind paying "Disney Prices" however the parking fee rubs me the wrong way BIG time, we will be staying off property there's no value really for mediocre accommodations & pay to park.

I wonder what the impact will be to those that are new to Disney, comparing Disney hotels and now fees with offsite hotels and resorts. Will never know but I feel like of all their "new offerings" this one seems to have taken the pushback to a higher level.
I wonder how many of those new to Disney will even really research that this is a thing and not just find out when arriving.

We decided not to stay on-site in November (or ever as of now).

Paid parking is ridiculous when you’re already paying for overpriced motel rooms.

We are fine staying off-site. We’ve done so many times before and the savings is in the thousands....

justified!

There is another post on disboards that gives the prices that Disney is going to charge. Don't know if this was already referenced in this post before but I'm not going to go through 42 pages of this post to find out.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/overnight-self-parking-at-disney-resort-hotels-at-walt-disney-world®-resort.3670295/

Here is a what the other post says:

Overnight Self-Parking at Disney Resort Hotels at Walt Disney World® Resort

Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.

Standard Overnight Parking charges per Resort Category:

Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night

Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Valet Parking:
Valet Parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts and Disney Deluxe Villas for $33 per night (sales tax included).

Guests with Disabilities
Designated parking areas are available throughout Walt Disney World Resort for Guests with disabilities. A valid disability parking permit is required.

Disney Vacation Club:
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Day Guests:
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter