Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
IF and that's a large IF they have fully backed out (I've wondered if it was an opps or they were wanting to reduce the charges because people thought the cost was too high) of parking charges I think it would be under the guise of "not ready yet" for public approval..meaning they may still come just not now, not yet due to public response.

*Total random thoughts just based on the old wording on the website at the moment.

Disney has removed the parking fee and will be raising room rates as follows on reservations starting March 21st:
  • Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night
....I wouldn't put it past them to do this instead.

I make less than the average annual wage where I live, which does put me at lower-middle class for the area. I wasn't able to afford DVC - that's why I had to sell it, lol! ;) Though it had also lost its "value" for our needs, too. Deluxe resorts used to cost a lot less, and discounts brought them down even more: they've gone through the roof, but my income has stayed the same. It costs less than $10 in gas for me to get to WDW, so unlike others, I have no real cost of travel to factor in. I've had to cut back in many areas to continue going to WDW, though - the ratio of cost to income has gotten too wide in recent years.
Ah makes sense, didn't realize you had 0 travel costs, that makes a big difference and cost savings.

I would be too but pleasantly surprised. Was planning to email then tonight and still likely will.
I'd rather see them not charge this fee as well. While we're DVC and basically won't be impacted, I think that particularly for the Value category, the increase is significant -- near the cost of an additional night if staying for a week. I think it's too regressive as set, personally.

I always assume that Disney has performed some analysis prior to any hikes, and have judged it worth doing; it's the only thing that makes sense! Would be interesting if they underestimated the blowback and are pausing now to rethink... would be quite unusual for them!

I would still think they'd roll something out then adjust, but maybe they're going to opt for the dreaded resort fee instead... re-brand this sucker before they start!! :laughing:

Nope. The market rate is what people are willing to pay. If they weren't willing to pay it we'd see a high vacancy rate. We don't. So Disney resorts are not "well above market rate". Market Rate Definition from Financial Times Lexicon

Except you, wrong. As someone who teaches economics at a university. Just because something sells, does not mean that the price it sells at is "Market rate". Indeed market rate is usually found by averaging out the selling point of several similar products. Its the reason we often refer to things selling "above market rate" or "below market rate". What you are arguing is circular reasoning, it is X because X it is.

Last edited:
My guess is that they will come back with parking rates that are the same for every resort class.

Except you are of course, wrong. As someone who teaches economics at a university. Just because something sells, does not mean that the price it sells at is "Market rate". Indeed market rate is usually found by averaging out the selling point of several similar products. Its the reason we often refer to things selling "above market rate" or "below market rate". What you are arguing is circular reasoning, it is X because X it is.
I am by no means an economist -- absolutely! MBA and MS Finance, worked in an economic consulting firm, but not an economist for sure. My husband is a PhD Economist, though, and he disagrees. What is your comp for a hotel on Disney property? What are your "similar products"? I would argue that there aren't any that are close enough. DH makes these kinds of calls (comps) on valuation cases where hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake and agrees with me, but that doesn't mean he's "objectively right". As we know, Econ isn't exactly a field where all agree. :goodvibes

Still listed on each individual resort.

Saratoga for example...

Parking
Effective for new reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee of $24 per night. All parking fees include applicable tax.

Complimentary standard self-parking is available while you enjoy select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at this Resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter