• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paint the Night Parade and Disneyland Forever Fireworks Strategy

We initially sat down at the Partner Statue at 6:15 and then were shooed out of that area (meaning we wouldn't be able to watch the firework or parade form there) at about 7:00. At 7:00 all the first row spaces around the hub were gone. We found a second row space (behind a bench, facing the castle right outside of Jolly Holiday. I was right on the corner, where the curb curves and it ended up being a great spot! People were able to sit on the street (heading towards Frontierland and Anventureland) and I ended being in the first row on the sidewalk. It was a GREAT place to view the parade! There was a family with an ECV in front of me plus a family who stayed seated on the curb. It was probably the best view I've ever had for a parade.

However, we had to really defend our space. It was just my husband and me and no kids and we really had to be firm in defending our area because people kept trying to squirm in. For instance, a Mom was saving the spot behind us and let her four kids go off to ride. That' fine, but when the kids returned everyone was standing the kids were upset that they couldn't see. They kept trying to push through the front.

Once Paint the Night was over, the ropes came down and dh and I filled right into the street. We were right behind the partners statue, but in Main Street. I had trouble seeing the castle projections, but it was a pretty good spot. Honestly, I think Wishes and Celebrate the Magic are better at WDW, but I was glad I got to see the show anyhow.

Someone a few pages back asked about following the parade from IASM in order to get to the hub. From my experiences (I've been 4 times since the new entertainment started and saw it from IASM twice), you will not be able to follow the parade to get a better viewing space as long as crowds remain as they have for the past month. CMs ask you to remain in the area you are in for the fireworks as all other areas are already full as the people in the hub and on Main Street will be moved to the middle of the street away from the walkways for the fireworks.

On Saturday, our goal was to get a spot on the north east curb of the hub, right where the parade turns, and you are looking straight down the main walkway at Matterhorn. This was suggested earlier in this thread.

We showed up at a little before 4 for the Soundsational Parade. Our spot was taken but we figured someone would move. There were still benches across the street toward Tomorrowland/Pixie Hollow. These spots fill up last because it was in direct 90 degree sun. When the parade ended, we immediately crossed the street and got our desired spot. In only a few minutes this part of the curb was fully claimed, as well as the benches behind. The spots between the curb and the benches were slowly starting to fill up around 6.

After the All-American College Band finished their Castle set around 6:30, CMs put up a rope blocking off the street leading to the front of the castle and people took this as a sign to start filling in this viewing area. This area had about 3 rows of people by 7pm.

Our group had 4 people and took shifts guarding the blanket. My wife and I watched the All-American College Band at Town Square at 7:15. This was a long set and we started back for our blanket at about 7:50. Walking down Mainstreet, obviously all curb spots are gone. Surprisingly there were still some areas where we could have been behind the curb. This was mostly on the side in direct sun. The Emporium side of the street was basically full. At this point, it is definitely easiest walking down the middle of the street. The sidewalks are packed.

At about 8:15, people are walking up to our curb and up to the rope adjacent to us, looking in to the crowd for any spots. The annoyance of people trying to tip-toe around all your stuff started at 7:45, but by 8:15, this just wasn't possible. So they look around like "what are we to do." People started sitting down on the street in front of us/the curb and in front of the rope. People on the curb, benches and rope started murming, maybe just loud enough for the street-sitters to hear them. Some people got mad, and very loudly saying "hey, you can't sit there, it's not fair to all of us here that have been waiting for hours." One parent came over basically saying "you won't be sitting in front of my kids when the show starts." It was getting pretty tense. My friend got a cast member, managed to grab one of the higher ups (wearing slacks, black jacket and tie) and he said "You are directly in the parade route, you need to move farther down to find a spot." He mentioned maybe there were some spots on the sidewalk (behind us) and the crowd gave a very emphatic no. Some people left, others didn't. New people came and saw people sitting in the street so they thought it was ok. At this point, the curb and bench were taking matters into their own hands. Every new person that came up was told they would have to move. The same CM came back a couple minutes later and said "If you stay here, you will literally be killed by a float. If you try to sit on the sidewalk THEY'RE going to kill you" referencing the angry crowd. There was brief exchange between the street-sitters, the CM and an angry bench-sitter or two but they got the street cleared out.

At the end of PtN, droves of people are following the last float and they fill in every available spot on the street. However, all we had to do was stand up and we had a perfect view of the Castle and Matterhorn.

I would say that the Matterhorn is not a MUST see. There is one part of the parade that is pretty cool. However, the projections are mostly just an extension of what's on the castle. I would say find a spot to see the whole castle. Whether that's front and center, or farther up and into Mainstreet - just make sure you can see the castle.

Be wary of watching projections. I found myself looking at the Matterhorn and the castle a lot and realized that I had missed a bunch of the fireworks bursts. I imagine this could be distracting if you are in the thick of Mainstreet.

When people say they can get a spot without waiting as long near IASW, how long are we talking? An hour? Right when the parade starts?

I'd love to see that parage and fireworks but it's not our #1 priority.

When people say they can get a spot without waiting as long near IASW, how long are we talking? An hour? Right when the parade starts?

If you want front row, I managed that 90 minutes-2 hours early. If you just want to see it, I've seen people move into the standing area and squeeze in around 8PM for the 8:50 show. I'd just hang out in the area (spend time riding IASM, Matterhorn, see the Magical Map show) and when it looks like it's getting crowded, start moving in for a spot.

Last year I held a spot for a longggg time for the fire works. (both days they were canceled because of wind lol)
At about 2 or 3 we grabbed our bench held it for fireworks .
At 7:30 they started saying the winds could cancel fireworks. I was bummed since Sunday we also missed fire works because the wind. Then they canceled the fireworks at 7:43. My last night and I didn't get to see them. My son said all well guess its off to you tube we go. LOL

I realize that is a long time but I wanted to see the fireworks from a good place. I saw the parade from small world on seats from the tour. I am 5'1 so I am willing to spend a while making sure I see things. I grabbed it so early because the parade viewers for the 6 pm parade (i think) would have taken this bench.

At the end of PtN, droves of people are following the last float and they fill in every available spot on the street. However, all we had to do was stand up and we had a perfect view of the Castle and Matterhorn.

So people ARE being allowed to follow the parade from IASW to Main Street after all? Other reports indicated this was not allowed. I was hoping to move from Carnation Cafe to Main Street immediately after PtN but maybe there will not be sufficient room. Do you think I need to rethink my firework strategy?

We were there the first weekend it started, so it was packed. We walked toward IASW only 5 minutes before it started. So we ended up between Matterhorn and IASW, not close to it but could see well enough and never waited around, which was the best part.

So people ARE being allowed to follow the parade from IASW to Main Street after all? Other reports indicated this was not allowed. I was hoping to move from Carnation Cafe to Main Street immediately after PtN but maybe there will not be sufficient room. Do you think I need to rethink my firework strategy?

That's the only thing I can think of. As soon as the last float passed, the street filled.

Our vantage point of the parade route was staring at the Matterhorn. People to the left of us, behind us would not want to move because they already have a good spot. People further down the right CAN'T move because the last float is still in the way. They could have only come from following the float.

Following the parade to Main Street is not allowed. That being said, the huge masses of people do what they want and the CMs can't control them all. It is chaos.

There is no clear definition of rules (CMs tell different people different things, two CMs will give opposite messages, etc...) and no consequence for not following the rules (those following the parade are not removed from the viewing area).

That's the only thing I can think of. As soon as the last float passed, the street filled.

Our vantage point of the parade route was staring at the Matterhorn. People to the left of us, behind us would not want to move because they already have a good spot. People further down the right CAN'T move because the last float is still in the way. They could have only come from following the float.

I just watched the video I took of PtN and I was wrong, nobody is following the last float. Everyone is held back until the ropes are dropped. People move fast I guess!

Last week, we decided to wing it and found a spot for the first PTN about 15 minutes before it started LOL. It was in front of Pixie Hollow near the Matterhorn. Our view was slightly obstructed by some trees, but that was fine considering we waited for such a short amount of time for the parade to start. We ended up seeing the whole parade pretty well. Afterwards, we shuffled out to a bench near the Matterhorn from which we watched the fireworks (seeing the projections on the Matterhorn and the fireworks off to the side).

Two days later, we wanted to try to watch the fireworks from the MS/ hub area. But since we were also watching the 9:00 pm Fantasmic that night, we knew it would be tight and we weren't expecting a real good spot. It turns out, after Fantasmic, we worked our way and followed the crowd through the walkways into a spot near the Jolly Holiday, from which a few guests were allowed to watch the fireworks without being inside a rope. It was great, since we could see the projections on main street from one way, and the fireworks and projections near the castle / Matterhorn from the other way. We experienced no fireworks cancellations on either of our nights.

We might have just gotten lucky, but if you are willing to wing it a little, you don't need to stake out spots hours and hours before the nighttime shows (unless you want a front row spot). We were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was for us to get spots at times so close to the start of the shows. But if you want to be sure, stake out your spots early, because you never know what might happen!

That has been my experience as well. I have been able to get good viewing spots for the parade as it starts without an issue. Once I just happened into DL as the parade was going and had no choice but to stop and watch it. The fireworks takes a little more work but like you said it can be done. m

I used to do the same thing for F! and had great luck doing so (finding an unobstructed view right before show time) but they ruined that with the FP now.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't think either the fireworks or parade are worth the long waits for a good spot and the cattle herd during and after. I was there recently and saw them a few times from off-prime spots incidentally while walking by (or getting stuck in the crowd). The parade has some cool digital light effects and video features, but not much different than the pixar or soundsational parade to me. Fireworks were fine, and I didn't see most of the projections, but really crowded and loud. At one point when trying to just walk around it, I got stuck in the tomorrow land entrance area near main street. There was no way to go backwards or through it since the designated walkways were crammed to a halt. I would not recommend bringing small children anywhere near the first show for risk of getting trampled. 2nd show was less crowded, but hard to keep your children awake that late.
Do not tell my eldest DD but I agree with you. They're cool but absolutely not worth the madness that the park has become at night. I'm pretty much a pro at navigating crowded summer nights but honestly, the back to back shows combined with the extremely early spot saving has made things ridiculous from about 4pm on. Those planning to "shop," good luck with that. They are routing people backstage then you have to double back and trying to move back towards the shops aint pretty. We legitimately wanted to shop and gave up trying to get back there.

The fireworks show did seem really cool and I'd love to see it from Main St. but I'll see it another time.

I'm going on a Friday and Saturday the last week of August (28th and 29th, I think), so I'm expecting pretty big crowds. We'll probably be doing WoC on Friday, a PtN and fireworks on Saturday. I'm hoping the crowds might die down even a tiny bit, but I'm also not counting on it :headache:

I'm thinking we might try for Small World since it seems to be a little easier to find a spot, and I really don't think my mom will be interest in waiting 3 and 1/2 hours for the fireworks on Main Street. But I guess I'm worried that it won't be as...magical? as seeing the show on the castle. Does anyone who's seen it at both locations have any thoughts?

When people here talk about the iasw view during the fireworks, should the priority be to see the iasw building or the Matterhorn? Is there a place where one can see both (by turning around, of course)?

I'm going on a Friday and Saturday the last week of August (28th and 29th, I think), so I'm expecting pretty big crowds. We'll probably be doing WoC on Friday, a PtN and fireworks on Saturday. I'm hoping the crowds might die down even a tiny bit, but I'm also not counting on it :headache:

I'm thinking we might try for Small World since it seems to be a little easier to find a spot, and I really don't think my mom will be interest in waiting 3 and 1/2 hours for the fireworks on Main Street. But I guess I'm worried that it won't be as...magical? as seeing the show on the castle. Does anyone who's seen it at both locations have any thoughts?

I have not seen both. I did see the fireworks with the castle projections. In my opinion, it was amazing on the castle. The fireworks are really geared for that view. I've yet to read any "meh" reviews by people who have seen the fireworks there. If you're willing to miss PTN then you do not need to arrive 3-4 hours early. Show up to the hub area and then join the crowds in the street to watch the fireworks. If you do that, I suggest not trying to leave when they're finished. Find a bench or curnb spot and wait for the crowd to die down.

Carnation Café + Fireworks + 2nd Parade = Great Experience! :-)

Tuesday morning (6/23/15), I made reservations for that night at 8:00 p.m. We got to the park about 6:45 p.m. and Main Street was fairly packed. I think if you were single, or a couple, you could probably find a place, but you could not spread out a blanket on the curb anywhere.

We checked into the Carnation Café at 7:45 and requested a patio table. We were seated almost immediately at a perfect spot to watch the parade even though this was not our plan. We ordered and ate slowly as they were very efficient, but I was trying to time our escape. At one point a waitress came around inviting the guests to stay and watch the parade from their table, she only asked that we remained seated so those in the back could see as well. As it turned out, this is a really good place to watch the parade!

When the 2nd to last float (Frozen) started to pass, the CM’s removed the ropes on the curb – this was our cue to leave! We quickly exited the patio and made our way towards the Castle. I wanted to be on Main Street, but was hoping for a view of the Castle as well. Once the last float (Mickey) passed, it was no problem to move into the street exactly where we wanted to be. Likewise, after the Firework show was over, it was no problem finding a place on the curb and spreading out a towel so that I could sit and my girls could go off for a bit. BTW – they had no problem exiting or coming back to me.

So, the bottom line is that this strategy worked very well and was easy to execute. The food and service were great too! I had the pasta and shrimp and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was our first time eating at Carnation Café, but I can see us doing this again and watching the parade from here instead of curbside.

As everyone has said, the Fireworks show was AMAZING!!! I think this has become my favorite show over F!, WOC, and the Parade (which was also AMAZING). We liked the new WOC, they have some new effects, but you don’t feel you have to see it again like we did with the last one, and now feel about the Fireworks show.

Unfortunately, parents placed their kids on their shoulders, so viewing the Castle was very difficult at best. Thankfully, there is plenty to see on the MS buildings, but I will have to see this show again from all the other places – just as I expect Disney planned for us to do!

Jeri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter