Palo Buffet vs. Table Service

drstrange

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I have been on 15 cruises but have only eaten at Palo since it has become a table service restaurant. We absolutely love Palo and go on every single one of our voyages. However, my question is, all of the vloggers we watch always talk about how much better the buffet style was and how they miss it. This also seems to be the sentiment amongst the Disboard community. So I am genuinely asking, why do you think the buffet was better? To me, it seems like the table service is much more fitting of the space. Curious to hear what people's thoughts are. Thanks!

The buffet was better because you got more variety to pick from . Things that were offered are not even on the menu.

Heck used to go choose your muffin , croissant etc. they bring a limited amount on a tray. Last time I think they didn’t even brought them out.

The seafood plate they bring out is a waste for us because we only eat one or two things on it but would like more of the one thing. Yes we could ask but don’t. I think they waste a lot this way.

I liked you could get a few small desserts now you pick on or 2 big ones.

Overall it’s I want to pick from variety of stuff .

Just to clarify: Palo has always been table service for dinner. Up through early 2020, Palo brunch had a large buffet and also a small menu of dishes (such as pizzas and pastas) that could be ordered through the server. Now Palo brunch is menu-based with no buffet. The servers bring out selections of pastries and breads for the table (and possibly other platters), and diners can order as many items as they like with a fixed price for the meal.

As NAB mentioned, the brunch was great because diners could take just a little of a lot of items — meats, shellfish, finfish, breads, pastries, desserts, vegetables, and more. Since most of what is on the Palo menu was on the buffet or the previous menu, but not everything that was on the buffet is on the current menu, many (perhaps most) people who have experienced both Palo brunch formats say that the buffet was better.

I don't know for sure, but it's possible that not having the buffet allows Palo to seat more guests at brunch.

I preferred the buffet, but I also really enjoy Palo brunch as it is now.

I don't feel overly upset about the buffet part being gone however, I did like to get a little of a few different things, and I liked serving myself. I'm one of those, doesn't like my food touching people so I like to be in control of placement. ;) Not having that is a little disappointing.

The biggest let down for me is the sticky buns. There used to be amazing sticky buns served from a large silver serving dish and they were amazing (I may have been known to take 2). Now they do offer a similar item on the dessert menu (I order it as my breakfast item) but there is apple in it now and I'm not a big fan of apple. I don't hate it, and I still get it but its definitely not as good as it was pre apple.

We've enjoyed Palo brunch before and after the changes. I'm one of the few who prefers the new way of doing Palo brunch. I felt that the service was more attentive, and the food was still wonderful and plentiful.

Never had a desire to do the buffet but I have done the brunch once. I also have done the table service many times. For me the table service is more to my liking.

If I had never done the buffet I would probably think brunch in its current form is great. But there were so many items on the buffet that are not available at sit down brunch. I loved a lot of the small desserts and don’t really like anything on the current dessert menu. I have not once been offered any pastries at the sit down brunch but there were many to choose from the buffet. I won’t go on and on naming what I used to get but I miss it all! (And I don’t find the current seafood or antipasti plates to be a decent substitution since I don’t like many of the items on those.)

The buffet was something to see and try in its day. I am glad I got to experience it a few times. The new way does not bother me, I enjoy it. Attentive service, plenty of food. The buffet I don't think is ever coming back. And so it is...

We've done both and actually enjoyed both. The buffet was over the top in terms of variety and abundance of food - quite honestly, I didn't really need an entree on top of the buffet. When we did Palo brunch on the Wish, our server brought us anything and everything we wanted to try - the portions seemed smaller, but that worked for me as I was actually able to slow down and enjoy everything. I don't think you can go wrong with Palo in any iteration.

Here’s my philosophical/ psychological take. For repeat cruisers, there is a familiarity in sameness (the menus across the fleet, and time, are pretty unchanging -overall). Knowing the buffet + hot dish options and experience, the removal of half the concept was a shock. I think it came after Covid - so it would be tied to a sad part of our recent memories. Also linked to a feeling that cutbacks are happening across the Disney empire.

You typically get that one chance at Palo brunch. You enjoy it on a cruise, planning to have a repeat experience the next time you sail. And then, sorry, we have changed that.

And there’s all the normal reasons people love buffets - multiple offerings, control of quantity, ability to put together items to your preference…

For those who never experienced the buffet, the reports indicate it is easy to walk out being sated and satisfied.

There’s a fine balance between keeping things as they are to please some and change to keep things new and fresh is a challenge for many industries/ aspects of life.

Just a Saturday morning musing.

So, I did buffet once and sit-down 3 times now. I've decided that sit-down is actually fine. I appreciate that there is less food waste overall (at least it seems that way) and whenever we want to customize something (e.g., only cheese on the meat/cheese tray or only shrimp and tuna on the seafood tray), it isn't a problem.

I am quite looking forward to doing it again in July.

My first two buffet’s I had at Palo, I didn’t even know an entrée was supposed to be ordered. I walked past the display of several entrée items they had available, and never ordered them. None of them ever appealed to me and I had a variety of meats, cheeses, bread, vegetables, all available through the buffet in small bite-size pieces like tapas almost. I tried brunch twice after that. I remembered that the guy was super nice to me and I didn’t say anything about the fact that I absolutely hated my meal. And the second time I couldn’t find anything I liked, but again the waiter was super nice.
I tried the Remi dessert pairing with wine. I have a bum liver, so I never tried to drink alcohol too much. Maybe one drink that I will water down into three drinks. Anyway, that was interesting. Might do that again hoping they change up the desserts.

I love to sample lots of little things, so I liked the buffet. I have no interest in the current version as I really don’t need $45/pp chicken Parmesan

Sooo many choices of bread, cheese, meats, and seafood! As much caviar as you wanted! Incredible selection of desserts, sticky buns, croissants, chocolate covered strawberries...it was just amazing!
Yes, this. Caviar and seared tuna (two ways, typically). I really didn’t need an entree after multiple visits to the buffet.

That said, we have come to enjoy the current iteration of the Palo brunch, and make certain we get an appropriate variety of the appetizers prior to having our entrees. It’s definitely different, but still worth the (now) $50 pp plus gratuity for us. Food quality is high and service is unmatched.

Yes, this. Caviar and seared tuna (two ways, typically). I really didn’t need an entree after multiple visits to the buffet.

That said, we have come to enjoy the current iteration of the Palo brunch, and make certain we get an appropriate variety of the appetizers prior to having our entrees. It’s definitely different, but still worth the (now) $50 pp plus gratuity for us. Food quality is high and service is unmatched.
We still write on our comment card that we would love the buffet back.

The buffet had a huge amount of choices, all artfully presented. It was lovely to look at. I remember shaving my parmesan from a huge wheel of cheese and drizzling it with honey. Everything was 1-2 bites so you could sample so many options. It wasn't big pans of food, it was all individually plated servings.

Plus, I am a vegetarian and the menu is limited for me so no reason for me to pay extra for Palo anymore.

I much prefer the table service. Makes the dining experience feel much more refined.
Gone are the days of a plate with seafood, antipasti, cheeses topped with a cinnamon bun all running together... That and plates piled up and being left, uneaten.

The buffet had a huge amount of choices, all artfully presented. It was lovely to look at. I remember shaving my parmesan from a huge wheel of cheese and drizzling it with honey. Everything was 1-2 bites so you could sample so many options. It wasn't big pans of food, it was all individually plated servings.

Plus, I am a vegetarian and the menu is limited for me so no reason for me to pay extra for Palo anymore.
Yeah, the Palo buffet was a paradise for us vegetarians (not vegans tho, imo)
The cheese section alone was worth whatever they charged. So many cheeses to choose from, and the bread selection was very good too.
The few times we went before it went menu-only, I used to eat only cheese with bread and wine. And a couple of small desserts.

When we went to Palo again after the buffet was gone, I ordered a cheese plate (not on the menu) and the server looked at me as if I was another galaxy. After insisting he agreed to have the chef make me one.. but he made it with 3 cheeses of his choosing that were really subpar.

If they brought back the buffet with the cheese section to Palo brunch I'd happily pay 2x what they charge now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter