Palo dress code question

I don't get the "no room in suitcase" issue. I find athletic shoes to be big and clunky and only wear them when doing something athletic (gym, running). I wear them when flying so I don't have to pack them. For walking around, I wear slip-on very comfortable leather shoes with rubber soles. Several mid-priced manufacturers make similar styles. I've worn them all over the US, South America, Australia, the Med and to Palo with no issue. These and a pair of flip-flops for the pool are all the shoes I pack. When planning a trip, I pick a color shoe (black, navy, tan, metallic) and everything I pack has to go with that shoe and with several other items for mix and match. I can pack for a week in a roller bag and for 2 weeks in a larger, but not huge, checked bag. I dress for dinner.

I don't get the "no room in suitcase" issue. I find athletic shoes to be big and clunky and only wear them when doing something athletic (gym, running). I wear them when flying so I don't have to pack them. For walking around, I wear slip-on very comfortable leather shoes with rubber soles. Several mid-priced manufacturers make similar styles. I've worn them all over the US, South America, Australia, the Med and to Palo with no issue. These and a pair of flip-flops for the pool are all the shoes I pack. When planning a trip, I pick a color shoe (black, navy, tan, metallic) and everything I pack has to go with that shoe and with several other items for mix and match. I can pack for a week in a roller bag and for 2 weeks in a larger, but not huge, checked bag. I dress for dinner.
@Travel60 has a point, athletic shoes are far clunker and heavier than a dress shoe. I too wear the athletic shoes (New Balance) and pack the flats,sandals, and pumps.

The no room argument isn’t that we wear the sneakers and don’t pack any other shoes. We don’t pack sneakers. That is all we wear.
I don't get the "no room in suitcase" issue. I find athletic shoes to be big and clunky and only wear them when doing something athletic (gym, running). I wear them when flying so I don't have to pack them. For walking around, I wear slip-on very comfortable leather shoes with rubber soles. Several mid-priced manufacturers make similar styles. I've worn them all over the US, South America, Australia, the Med and to Palo with no issue. These and a pair of flip-flops for the pool are all the shoes I pack. When planning a trip, I pick a color shoe (black, navy, tan, metallic) and everything I pack has to go with that shoe and with several other items for mix and match. I can pack for a week in a roller bag and for 2 weeks in a larger, but not huge, checked bag. I dress for dinner.[/QU

Just put a pair of sandals in the outside pocket of the suitcase, that's what we always do with our extra shoes.

My DH wears slip-on shoes as well (they are made of a microfiber material). He would find leather slip-ons far too hot for a Caribbean cruise. His athletic shoes are actually very lightweight as he wears fairly flat ones that were designed to wear without socks (obviously, these were not meant to run in!). He wears the slip-ons on the plane and I pack the athletic shoes and that's it. Honestly, if DH hadn't shown the concierge staff the shoes prior to Remy, I don't think anyone would have noticed them under his pants as they certainly weren't lace-up athletic shoes. I, myself, wore silver flip-flops under my maxi dress. No one saw them and no one batted an eye. As I said, he was happy with the loaners and they seemed happy to provide them (it sounded like they do this all the time). I would be willing to bet they have loaner jackets for men as well. My DH just really hates dressing up. If it came down to packing dress shoes or not going, he would choose not going.

Thanks for the replies. I think we will give up our reservations. Free Palo dinner isn’t worth it for us to have to buy shoes. Plus we love the main dining rooms, so don’t see the need for Palo - we just aren’t fancy people :)

Don’t do that... if your sneakers are all black, (or not bright colors) roll with it. We don’t dress up either... take a chance!!

Also, book a brunch, instead. They are a little more forgiving for brunch and you don't miss out on the MDRs for dinner.
Agreed. During the brunch, we saw several pairs of tennis shoes/sneakers. (They were all dark gray or black. Maybe shiny white ones would have been an issue?)

We just finished a cruise on the wonder and dined at Palo for both brunch and dinner. The posted dress code was not enforced. We saw athletic shoes, t-shirts, track jackets, ect.. at brunch and dinner.

If you want to have dinner at Palo (maybe brunch too) you are probably going to have to pack something other than sneakers. I know there are reports that the dress code isn't being enforced, but that doesn't mean that it won't be enforced for you.

If the shoes are all black and not obviously athletic shoes you can give it a try, especially for brunch, but if you won't wear anything other than sneakers then Palo may not be accepting.

Since when does Palo allow jeans (blue denim jeans)?

If you want to have dinner at Palo (maybe brunch too) you are probably going to have to pack something other than sneakers. I know there are reports that the dress code isn't being enforced, but that doesn't mean that it won't be enforced for you.

If the shoes are all black and not obviously athletic shoes you can give it a try, especially for brunch, but if you won't wear anything other than sneakers then Palo may not be accepting.

Since when does Palo allow jeans (blue denim jeans)?
Started a few months ago...

EDIT: well, more than a "few" months. Last August the dress code was changed to include "Jeans may also be worn if in good condition (no holes)."

We just finished a cruise on the wonder and dined at Palo for both brunch and dinner. The posted dress code was not enforced. We saw athletic shoes, t-shirts, track jackets, ect.. at brunch and dinner.

And we will complain that it is not as nice as it used to be and seems like another MDR. Guess what people, we are the problem, not DCL.... We demand it and throw fits so we can wear what we want, eventually they will give up and grease the squeaky wheel.

:sad2:

And we will complain that it is not as nice as it used to be and seems like another MDR. Guess what people, we are the problem, not DCL.... We demand it and throw fits so we can wear what we want, eventually they will give up and grease the squeaky wheel.

Have to agree with @Sleepyluke; we are also the solution. Guess I will be the next squeaky wheel, in high heals and pearls.

I agree

And it is a specialty restaurant, no one makes you go there. Give some of us that still like the dressier feel of the restaurant one place to go that we can still be transported to the classic cruise line and the elegance that we get for a few days on vacation. DCL works hard to make it upscale, let it be.

And thanks for the likes, I figured the flame throwers were coming!!! :)

I definitely plan on mentioning something about how disappointed we are in the laxer dress code on our upcoming cruise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter