]palo tipping

mom4fun

DIS Veteran
So Palo for 2 is $50. Do they add a tip on top of that or do you just tip them what you want?

Likely to get mixed answers on this. The answer I got a couple of years ago (from what source, I forget, but not anything official) was that the fee for eating there is actually considered the tip. I wasn't convinced, so I actually added more as a tip, although I don't think it was a full standard tip on whatever the meal was "worth" (since you don't really know that answer, even if you've got a pretty good guess based on either real life or "Disney" life - ha!). It makes pretty good sense, as eating a comparable meal for two people in a "signature" WDW restaurant could easily result in a $50 tip. You're getting the antipasto cart and likely another appetizer, entrée and dessert, and quite likely (speaking for myself here) another half to full order of something else that looks good and the server encourages you to try...because you can, with no extra charge. Definitely wish there was an official DCL answer out there...if there is one, maybe somebody knows where to find it and will post it.

Likely to get mixed answers on this. The answer I got a couple of years ago (from what source, I forget, but not anything official) was that the fee for eating there is actually considered the tip. I wasn't convinced, so I actually added more as a tip, although I don't think it was a full standard tip on whatever the meal was "worth" (since you don't really know that answer, even if you've got a pretty good guess based on either real life or "Disney" life - ha!). It makes pretty good sense, as eating a comparable meal for two people in a "signature" WDW restaurant could easily result in a $50 tip. You're getting the antipasto cart and likely another appetizer, entrée and dessert, and quite likely (speaking for myself here) another half to full order of something else that looks good and the server encourages you to try...because you can, with no extra charge. Definitely wish there was an official DCL answer out there...if there is one, maybe somebody knows where to find it and will post it.

All that I've ever been able to find out is that part of the upcharge is considered a tip to your server there (something like $5.00). We always tip additionally, also.

I had always assumed that the up charge was based on the food, atmosphere, service, etc. and never had heard that a tip was included in that up charge. So we always added in a tip (and there is room on the bill you sign for tip, which is your not-so-subtle hint LOL), and we tip generously, because in our opinion, the meal we get is a bargain at $50.

Thanks. I just wasn't sure if they would add a tip with a bill and then we would tip on top of that or if we would just tip on top of the bill.

I think if you buy wine or adult beverages a tip is added to that.

All that I've ever been able to find out is that part of the upcharge is considered a tip to your server there (something like $5.00). We always tip additionally, also.
This is not true. If you look on the DCL website under gratuities it says Palo tipping at your discretion. All the $25 pp fee is for a contribution to the cost of the food and not to the staff. Galley chefs are on a salary. So the servers are paid by tips and a nominal amount like other servers. Going back some years yes a part of the fee went to the servers that was a near $1 only, so as DCL says at your discretion we normally tip $25 > $30pp

Did some Googling last night (which, not surprisingly, sent me back to some of the threads on these boards), and the general consensus seems to be, as you say, that part of the upcharge is considered as a tip and part (most) is considered as covering the extra food and expense. Lots of entertaining bickering among expert cruisers and/or tippers out there about how that breaks down, including some specific examples of how it is divided. As "Disney Fantasy" said on this thread, the website now says tipping at Palo and Remy is at our discretion, implying that we should add something. Several prior threads pointed out that this changed a while back -- prior version of website apparently said tip was included. Lots of people who had investigated further with front desk, Palo manager, and others, said that the upcharge did indeed include charges for food as well as for tip, but that the tip piece was pretty small (although each server in the restaurant received a piece of each upcharge rather than just the tables the served directly).

In short, if the service is good, we ought to be tipping at Palo and Remy. If the service is bad, then to each his or her own...but the chances of bad service at these places are slim to none.

Did some Googling last night (which, not surprisingly, sent me back to some of the threads on these boards), and the general consensus seems to be, as you say, that part of the upcharge is considered as a tip and part (most) is considered as covering the extra food and expense. Lots of entertaining bickering among expert cruisers and/or tippers out there about how that breaks down, including some specific examples of how it is divided. As "Disney Fantasy" said on this thread, the website now says tipping at Palo and Remy is at our discretion, implying that we should add something. Several prior threads pointed out that this changed a while back -- prior version of website apparently said tip was included. Lots of people who had investigated further with front desk, Palo manager, and others, said that the upcharge did indeed include charges for food as well as for tip, but that the tip piece was pretty small (although each server in the restaurant received a piece of each upcharge rather than just the tables the served directly).

In short, if the service is good, we ought to be tipping at Palo and Remy. If the service is bad, then to each his or her own...but the chances of bad service at these places are slim to none.
Yes (1) DCL website says " at your description" a few years back it said " included" (2) That is my second point, people posting its included are referring to the position a few years back. No tip is included in the up charge, it's a contribution to the extra cost of the food, it doesn't even cost the cost of the food!

So my question is when and how you tip. Do you get a tip sheet or something? I remember getting some kind of tip envelope at the end of the cruise (man, debarkation is a blur and this was only June - oy) but I remember it being MDR servers and stateroom host. I think. But we didn't dine at Palo last time (and we plan to this time).

So my question is when and how you tip. Do you get a tip sheet or something? I remember getting some kind of tip envelope at the end of the cruise (man, debarkation is a blur and this was only June - oy) but I remember it being MDR servers and stateroom host. I think. But we didn't dine at Palo last time (and we plan to this time).

"when and how" in Palo? You can add a tip to the charge slip you sign when you are there. That charge will be added to your onboard account.

Yes, regular gratuities are for your stateroom host, dining room server, assistant server, and head server.

I was very surprised when we dinned their in October. there were six of us. I had quietly requested the bill be given to me before I was seated. when the waiter came over to give me the bill at the end of the meal he told me the tip was not included. I was sort of surprised as I had not had any waiter tell me this before in palo, not that I go there every cruise. anyone else get told that when the bill was presented?

I was very surprised when we dinned their in October. there were six of us. I had quietly requested the bill be given to me before I was seated. when the waiter came over to give me the bill at the end of the meal he told me the tip was not included. I was sort of surprised as I had not had any waiter tell me this before in palo, not that I go there every cruise. anyone else get told that when the bill was presented?

We weren't in September, on the Fantasy.

We usually tip $10 per person for brunch and $10-15 per person for dinner in Palo.

Yes on my cruises that does occur.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter