Panama Canal 12/9/12, GTY ?

MAGICX2

DIS Veteran
I know there is currently an IGT category available on the 12/9/12 PC cruise. Is anyone familiar with what they have offered on past PC cruises? I want to book this, but I am afraid the minute I book an IGT room then a VGT category will come open. Any historical info on this type of thing? If they were going to offer a VGT when do you think they might do it?

No idea, but one suggestion would be to book IGT and if you don't get a room/category that you like, you can upgrade at the port at substantial savings to a VGT booking. I can't imagine that this is a cruise that will sell out so your chances of an upgrade are probably much higher than usual.

They didn't offer those rates back in 2008 or 2005. I don't believe that the last one in 2011 had them available either. The 2005 & 2008 cruises sold out the first day and it was not easy to get a room on them. There were waitlists, which meant that there was demand and DCL didn't have to discount the rooms to fill the ship.

I was thinking about booking this cruise as well but I'm not crazy about the stops. I wish Castaway Cay was on the itinerary. It's still very tempting though because the guarantee rate is so low. I did make a call to Disney and asked about upgrading at the port which they said we could do if we're unhappy aboutvour room assignment. I'm assuming this is not going to be a full ship because of the dates, but the risk is that there may be lots booking the guarantee rate hoping to upgrade.

They didn't offer those rates back in 2008 or 2005. I don't believe that the last one in 2011 had them available either. The 2005 & 2008 cruises sold out the first day and it was not easy to get a room on them. There were waitlists, which meant that there was demand and DCL didn't have to discount the rooms to fill the ship.

You are correct. :thumbsup2

I was thinking about booking this cruise as well but I'm not crazy about the stops. I wish Castaway Cay was on the itinerary. It's still very tempting though because the guarantee rate is so low. I did make a call to Disney and asked about upgrading at the port which they said we could do if we're unhappy aboutvour room assignment. I'm assuming this is not going to be a full ship because of the dates, but the risk is that there may be lots booking the guarantee rate hoping to upgrade.

Well, we had CC on our PC itinerary and we missed it :( But we still had a fabulous time as the reason we booked it was for of course the Panama Canal. If you have the chance, I'd do it. I agree, the ports for the next 2 aren't has inviting as the ones we had but again, the highlight is the Panama Canal. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I could.

ETA: WOW on those prices! We paid $6700 for our 11B GTY, and that was with a 10% discount. Balcony cabins were going for $12,000+. Wish we could do it but with hubby starting new job this summer, don't think asking off for 2 weeks in a row is something that would look very good.

I booked a GTY 11C which is a standard reservation instead of a restricted category which means if an OGT/VGT opens up before my final payment is due, I can cancel my current GTY reservation and book any restricted category that is available at the time.

I know I was shocked at the IGT rate as well. It is half of what we paid for a cat 10 on the 2008 EBPC repo with the 10% OBB discount for 2A2K. It hurts not to be able to book it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter