• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pandemic?

Taken from that site that will scare the bejezzus out you.

Swine Flu Case Now Suspected in Minnesota

A new strain of flu... Dubbed swine flu has hit the U.S. after killing dozens in Mexico.

The list of people testing positive for the virus is growing here in the U.S., and so is the list of states... including here in Minnesota.

Kansas, Massachusetts, New York, Texas, and California also have confirmed or suspected cases.

The Centers for Disease Control says the virus spreads like other flu viruses, through contact and coughing and sneezing.

U-S health officials are warning people who may have recently traveled, or have flu-like symptoms to get checked by a doctor and take precautions.

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/news/local/43699217.html

Our hospital hasn't even gotten any e-mails out on it yet. I'm sure they're watching it closely though. They've been getting the word out on the possibility of contact with someone with measles in VA, DC, and MD. And that was during the first week in April. Nice...while a bunch of schools were on spring break and tourists were in DC to see the cherry blossoms.

Is this the same swine flu that hit back in the late 60s? My entire family had it then. It was the sickest I have ever been.

What sort of things would be good to stock up on? It is tornado season here so I should really have stuff anyway in case we are without power for a few days.

Lets make a list:
Batteries for flashlights and radio - that's for storm season
some foods for flu symptoms like jello, crackers, ginger ale
Tylenol, pepto,
essentials that could run out like paper products
important essentials like chocolate, movies, diet soda ;)
What else?

First aid kit?
A lot of water.

OMG. :sad2:

I think I'll go to the grocery store tomorrow to stock up just in case.

I was thinking I should pick up a few things too, especially since MN just made the list of states with Swine Flu.

What sort of things would be good to stock up on? It is tornado season here so I should really have stuff anyway in case we are without power for a few days.

Lets make a list:
Batteries for flashlights and radio - that's for storm season
some foods for flu symptoms like jello, crackers, ginger ale
Tylenol, pepto,
essentials that could run out like paper products
important essentials like chocolate, movies, diet soda ;)
What else?

We stocked up today on some essentials - crackers, peanut butter, canned fruits and veggies, paper products. We also made sure we have plenty of detergent, bleach and cleaning supplies.

Bought a new thermometer (the last three kept telling me that DD had a temp of 96 when it was 102 at the doctors!), ibuprophen, alcohol, neosporin.

Lots of liquid hand soap and hand sanitizer (and pocket-sized ones for the whole family),

Got plenty of rechargeable batteries and several gallons of water (you never know, eh?)?

Ok, so I HOPE that I am being over cautious about this but I really want to feel prepared. This has me very unnerved.

And I didn't buy anything that I won't eventually use so it's not like I wasted any money (thankfully I shopped at Sam's Club and that helped!).

It really can't hurt to be ready...

I don't even know where to start right now. DH is about 90% sure my girls won't be going to school any time soon, because if we wait until it gets here it'll be too late. He has gone as far as to nearly threaten me if I try to stand in the way of his pandemic plan (no, he's never threatened me before. He's a very easygoing, reasonable person 98% of the time, and we've been married for 21 years). We've gotten into a couple of yelling matches over this idiocy. I know this sounds completely crazy to most people, but on the other hand, he is VERY well educated on the bird flu, pandemics in general, the pandemic of 1918, and how flus evolve. Truly, he absolutely is trying to protect his family. I'm not convinced that he's doing the right thing at the right time, though.

Between fear of the unknown and all this sudden change, and feeling out of control, I just don't know what the hell to think.

I'm sure he is not alone. There are probably other parents out there that feel just as he does.:hug:

For those of you that are feeling silly because you've got the urge to stock up on essentials: it's a good idea to be prepared at any time. Stock up and give yourself a pat on the back for being on top of things. No need to feel silly, it's always a good idea to be prepared :banana:

For those of you that are feeling silly because you've got the urge to stock up on essentials: it's a good idea to be prepared at any time. Stock up and give yourself a pat on the back for being on top of things. No need to feel silly, it's always a good idea to be prepared :banana:

Agreed. You should be prepared for anything at anytime....water, cash, canned goods, batteries, candles, flashlights, radio, first aid. ALWAYS HAVE THESE ITEMS ON HAND.

here is a podcast from the cdc posted today

http://www2a.cdc.gov/podcasts/player.asp?f=11226

I haven't listened to it yet, because I am not going to panic over this. But I figure it might have some good information and plan on listening to it in a little bit. I have no plans to do anything other than what we always do: stay away from sick people and wash our hands a lot with warm water and lots and of soap. (at least for the near future, if the CDC comes in and and says this is serious and it is a pandemic I will have to revisit it then)

I will add to the list:

Imodium for well you know...
Gatorade for electrolytes and fluid loss
Pedialyte if you have little ones

Looks like my hurricane supplies will get stocked just a wee bit early this year, sigh...

i need to restock. What can be used in place of a candle? My cats have issues with them

Flashlights??

You shouldn't use candles anyway in case of a gas leak-not with the flu but in a tornado, etc.

We have both the wind up flash lights and a big camping flash light lantern thing. It can sit on a table a gives off a lot of light. Goes through batteries but nice to have. My cats don't like the candles either.

:confused3 flameless candles? Or maybe even a camping Lantern. We got a battery powered one during one of our many power outages and it provides tons of light- a whole rooms worth.

I would suggest having some cash on hand as well.
I am going to just add a few items to the weekly grocery list- like extra paper products, some extra liquids- like water. Maybe buy powdered milk. Peanut butter, crackers, gosh I don't know. Get my perscription refilled.

NY is a little too close to home. But as of now there are no reported deaths in the us? correct? So perhaps immediate medical care is a safety measure.

Oh and I'm buying some board games too.
Hey maybe this is what the economy needs - a pandemic.

One thing I worry about is if we lose power we lose water- we are on a well. We need a generator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter