• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pandemic?

Why are the cases in the US less severe (i.e. no deaths so far?) Is it because the victims had better access to medical care or had received flu shots that might be helping them somewhat? Or is the strain slightly different? I felt a little better seeing that of the US cases, most have already recovered. Is there concern that the virus will mutate as it spreads and become more deadly?

Gatorade is a good one - hadn't thought of that.

I bought lots of Lysol. Not sure how effective it really is at killing a flu virus, but I have no idea what might be better.

I'm going under the assumption that electricity and water will still be available - I guess my thinking was that a quarantine is about the worst I can see happening (but I have read "The Stand" many times ... ergh). If we were to stay home for 10 days to two weeks, I picked up the things I thought we would need.

I did fill all the gas containers but that's mostly for the lawnmower (but I'm sure in the back of my mind I was thinking that we *could* use it for the generator).

Looks like my hurricane supplies will get stocked just a wee bit early this year, sigh...

That's how I see it. :thumbsup2

Flying~ We have battery powered lanterns that use fluorescent bulbs. They have come in handy in past hurricanes.:thumbsup2 They also have a nightlight.

For a less costly alternative, get flashlights.

Why are the cases in the US less severe (i.e. no deaths so far?) Is it because the victims had better access to medical care or had received flu shots that might be helping them somewhat? Or is the strain slightly different? I felt a little better seeing that of the US cases, most have already recovered. Is there concern that the virus will mutate as it spreads and become more deadly?

I am going to guess it has more to do with the number of cases then anything yet. General overall health might factor into it but even in the US there isn't anything they can do for the flu other then give Tamiflu to help lessen the severity, which is available in Mexico too.

With 2 teen boys in the house, we go thru milk like crazy! I don't think they will close the stores but if it gets bad, I won't want to go out. Thought if I froze a couple of gallons, it make help keep us at home and away from the germ factories.

As for the PP who posted about their hospital not having any pandemic plans, I work at a clinic and we DEFINITELY have one in place. A few moths ago, everyone was asked if there was a pandemic, would we be willing to come in and work....., my answer, NO!!!!!

Candles are NEVER a good idea...too risky. Also:
prescription meds
pet food
LOTS of batteries

I'm not a panic-prone person, but I am going to hit the market tomorrow and stock up on non-perishables...

With 2 teen boys in the house, we go thru milk like crazy! I don't think they will close the stores but if it gets bad, I won't want to go out. Thought if I froze a couple of gallons, it make help keep us at home and away from the germ factories.

As for the PP who posted about their hospital not having any pandemic plans, I work at a clinic and we DEFINITELY have one in place. A few moths ago, everyone was asked if there was a pandemic, would we be willing to come in and work....., my answer, NO!!!!!

I don't think dairy freezes very well. You could get some powered milk or those juice box size things of milk that don't need refrigeration. I love milk too but I think I will just stock up on jugs of water.

Oh, great point - please don't forget your pets!! We bought tons of extra dog and bunny food and extra bedding for the wabbit, too.

For everyone with little ones stocking up for power outages. I always include some of those light up bracelets or necklaces. They make great night lights. Target has them in the dollar spot right now.

I'm stocking up tomorrow, but not because of the flu. My little one could arrive at any time, and I don't know when I'll feel like going out again. Now with this news, I'll just have to get some more of the basics.

yes you can, but the cartons and plastic containers will swell. I have froze gallons of milk before, but I remove the lids first to give the milk room to expand. Once thawed, you have to shake it up a bit, but it will be fine :)
For those with infants, you can also freeze breast milk (in case mom gets sick). I used to freeze mine in ice cube trays then put the cubes in a freezer bag. Wow that was a looonng time ago lol

Oh, great point - please don't forget your pets!! We bought tons of extra dog and bunny food and extra bedding for the wabbit, too.

Ive got enough pet food, think I have enough hammy bedding (but if not he can use towels), hammy food good. I have flashlights (just need to charge some bateries). I guess im not worried. Loosing power scares me, just a little bit. If it happens, I just go out in the back yard and build a brick stove. Gee I guess my dad did train me right (ex navy, his brothers were ex army). I bet with the eccomony the way it is, the swine flu and summer storms comming survival books are very popular!

Taken from that site that will scare the bejezzus out you.

Swine Flu Case Now Suspected in Minnesota

A new strain of flu... Dubbed swine flu has hit the U.S. after killing dozens in Mexico.

The list of people testing positive for the virus is growing here in the U.S., and so is the list of states... including here in Minnesota.

Kansas, Massachusetts, New York, Texas, and California also have confirmed or suspected cases.

The Centers for Disease Control says the virus spreads like other flu viruses, through contact and coughing and sneezing.

U-S health officials are warning people who may have recently traveled, or have flu-like symptoms to get checked by a doctor and take precautions.

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/news/local/43699217.html

Massachusetts? And I have to find out about this from a Disney message board? :sad2:

Besides the "more diarrhea", what kind of symptoms should one watch for? And what symptoms would prompt someone to call their doctor instead of just sleeping it off like DH & I are more apt to do.

Anyone with an answer to this?

this from the CDC.gov web site:

What are the symptoms of swine flu in humans?
The symptoms of swine flu in people are expected to be similar to the symptoms of regular human seasonal influenza and include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Some people with swine flu also have reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Anyone with an answer to this?

Well it's influenza so I'm guessing respiratory symptoms, fever, all that fun stuff. They are warning people who came back from Mexico that they need to watch out for respiratory symptoms here on the news. When ever I get the flu it's like a cold on steroids...a lot of times the intestinal issues can be from the high fevers you end up with.

None that we know of, but he said that if they really had 1000 cases in Mexico, its a good possibility that it will spread. The southern hemisphere will be entering their winter/flu season in the next few weeks.

I'm not a geography expert, but I'm pretty sure Mexico is in the northern hemisphere, so they will be entering their summer/non flu season in the next few weeks.

this from the CDC.gov web site:

What are the symptoms of swine flu in humans?
The symptoms of swine flu in people are expected to be similar to the symptoms of regular human seasonal influenza and include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Some people with swine flu also have reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Well it's influenza so I'm guessing respiratory symptoms, fever, all that fun stuff. They are warning people who came back from Mexico that they need to watch out for respiratory symptoms here on the news. When ever I get the flu it's like a cold on steroids...a lot of times the intestinal issues can be from the high fevers you end up with.

I'm going to guess I've never had the flu then because none of those symptoms would make me go to a Dr, and I KNOW DH wouldn't go. I can totally see us sticking out at home, and that sounds like it would kill you in this case.

So what is THE thing with this strain that should make someone like me even think to contact the Dr?

I'm not a geography expert, but I'm pretty sure Mexico is in the northern hemisphere, so they will be entering their summer/non flu season in the next few weeks.

The CDC said that unlike the normal flu that seems to dimimish in strength as the warmer weather comes, this virus actually is increasing and thriving in the warmer weather......... gosh!!:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter