Panhandling - What Do You Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose OP feels just as good if not better than the holier-than-thous who feel the need to condemn her.

Everyone virtue signaling here could easily have passed by this thread without commenting.

Try looking in the mirror sometime, DIS.

I don't think it's virtue signaling as a group or as an individual to call out someone who's been deliberately cruel to a person who may have needed their help. Perhaps myself I just could have said, 'don't be a jerk,' without posting about what I personally do in my own life. My bad.

Sometimes it's important to say something because it might make someone think next time. Or not. But I won't feel bad about posting that what OP did was uncalled for.

panhandling in our area has decreased to some extent due to a program enacted a few years ago-'give real change' which encourages that instead of giving change to panhandlers you either put the change into one of many 'meters' (they look like parking meters but are bright orange) around town, call 311 to donate by phone, or opt to do a round up amount (or additional amount) on your utility bill which goes to the local groups that work with our homeless/in need populations. the program also supports a separate phone line (211) that persons in need can call to access immediate and long term items/services (free cell phones and service coverage are available in our state and there are free charging locations in a number of easily accessible locations so having to call is not a deterrent).

That is so not always true. Right after we moved here, it was Mardi Gras time, and I was standing in a street parking spot in front of the house to hold it while my dad brought the car around. A very nice older black man approached me and asked for a dollar. Very, very polite. I didn't have any cash on me, and when I told him that he immediately apologized for bothering me and wished me a happy Mardi Gras. He crossed the street to panhandle in front of the corner store. I was really taken by his politeness, so when my dad got there I told him the story and asked if he had cash. He did, so we crossed the street to give the guy 5 bucks. Dad told him it was because he was so polite to me, and the guy got tears in his eyes and said his momma raised him right, and just because he fell on hard times was no reason to forget that.

I've seen him around since then, always a wave and a smile. He's definitely on the streets, definitely in need, and definitely panhandling. Who am I to judge him? There but for the grace of God go I.

I thought I was clear that I was talking about people IN MY AREA.

I thought I was clear that I was talking about people IN MY AREA.
Oh, my bad. I forgot that in the "good neighborhoods" :snooty: panhandlers are only there to try to take your wealth. It's only in the crazy party towns that panhandlers can actually be real people who need help. How's the view from that high horse?

Oh, my bad. I forgot that in the "good neighborhoods" :snooty: panhandlers are only there to try to take your wealth. It's only in the crazy party towns that panhandlers can actually be real people who need help. How's the view from that high horse?

That's not what I was saying at all. Geez. I've lived here for a long time. I learned to recognize which people are legitimately in need and which aren't. Read my story above about the women who stand on street corners with their kids and then go home to a house that I couldn't afford in my wildest dreams...

For what it's worth, my "good neighborhood" (whatever that means, because I Iive in a city with a pop of over 300,000) has both types of people.

I guess what I'm asking is, okay, I get it. You don't want to give money to someone who's flying a sign. But what if they're entertaining you while asking for money?

ETA: I know a lot of the regulars in our busking community. Some are homeless, some are not. More than one has been discovered and given a recording contract. I've given them both money and food, and never been turned down for either one.

I personally see street performers in a different category. I know some don't, but performing for tips is fundamentally different in my mind from holding a sign and begging. I've known quite a lot of people who have performed on the street for one reason or another - some for a short-term need (I had a couple of friends raise their tuition to private arts camps by playing for tips during touristy events) and some as a career of sorts - and most weren't homeless or in particular need. They just have a talent and are trying to find ways to make money with that talent. And I do know a couple that have been "discovered" that way and ended up playing in house bands or backing for recording artists or whatever because of someone who heard them on the street.

the university local to us lets students donate their unused meal plan dollars at the end of the term and the $$$ value is donated to our local food pantries and kitchens. the money can go so much further with the buying power/discounts the pantries and kitchens have vs. what price the university places on individual sandwiches and such. if your dd's school doesn't engage in that type of arrangement you might suggest she bring the idea up to the powers that be.

She's brought it up to campus ministry, but as of right now, the donation program they have going supports the university food pantry for students in need, not the needy in the city itself. And she feels more strongly about helping those in the bigger community, because frankly she attends a rather expensive private university and knows the food bank is mainly a safety net for kids who use up their own meal plans rather than for those who would go hungry without the extra support (though she did donate that way during the pandemic, when there was a lot more student need and a lot less day-to-day interaction with the homeless in her community).

That's not what I was saying at all. Geez. I've lived here for a long time. I learned to recognize which people are legitimately in need and which aren't. Read my story above about the women who stand on street corners with their kids and then go home to a house that I couldn't afford in my wildest dreams...

For what it's worth, my "good neighborhood" (whatever that means, because I Iive in a city with a pop of over 300,000) has both types of people.
And my party town has a population roughly the same size. There are definite scammers here--I can't count the number of times "April" or "Lisa" or whatever she's calling herself this week has told me her husband rolled his car in Baton Rouge and she can't pick up her check from a local restaurant and she needs money to get there. OF COURSE you learn who the scammers are. But you made a ridiculously sweeping statement about all panhandlers being scammers, and that is just flat wrong. And you might feel differently, but if I lose 5 bucks before I learn that person X is actually a scammer, so what? I can afford to lose that 5 bucks a lot more than the people who end up not helped because everyone is so skeptical can.

My perspective is if I do my part to potentially make things better for someone/the world, then it is out of my control what happens from there. I'm not the judge and jury of whether the recipient truly needs it, is scamming, etc., but if I'm led to to donate in some form then I will.

If you aren't so led, that is your choice, but be kind and have a bit of grace. None of us are invincible from a down fall.

And my party town has a population roughly the same size. There are definite scammers here--I can't count the number of times "April" or "Lisa" or whatever she's calling herself this week has told me her husband rolled his car in Baton Rouge and she can't pick up her check from a local restaurant and she needs money to get there. OF COURSE you learn who the scammers are. But you made a ridiculously sweeping statement about all panhandlers being scammers, and that is just flat wrong. And you might feel differently, but if I lose 5 bucks before I learn that person X is actually a scammer, so what? I can afford to lose that 5 bucks a lot more than the people who end up not helped because everyone is so skeptical can.

Okay

egler2250 said:
I try to have compassion for anyone who is either in a situation where they have to ask for money or having the lack of proper ethics to evaluate their decisions. Either way someone in this position will never be as well off as someone who has their life together. If someone asks me for money I will never give it to them but I will buy then a sandwich or give anyone food.
Christine said:
They usually get really angry with you when you do that.

Wow...that has never happened in my experience - not ever. I don't give cash, but we've kept $5 or $10 gift cards to McDonalds, burger king in the car for this purpose and have handed them out many times over the years.

We have ALWAYS been thanked quite graciously, with extreme appreciation, big smiles every time we hand one out. Where we live, there are no food banks or shelters in walking distance like in downtown/urban areas -its the suburbs/exburbs with unreliable bus transport and these folks don't have cars or family to help.

Some folks are sick, broke, and/or hungry - life may have dealt them things most of us here haven't experienced - some don't have a single friend or family member to help cushion the blow. I don't believe they're all scam artists.

There are shelters for that
Not much changes over the years does it. Ebenezer Scrooge said..."Are there no poor houses anymore". Same stuff, different century. It's that attitude that makes this country the stink hole that it has become. I saw a meme the other day that said something to the effect. (See below) I'm not religious but, I wonder for those that are religious what exactly do you think will happen to you when you die. From what I know of religion, it won't be pleasant.

I personally see street performers in a different category. I know some don't, but performing for tips is fundamentally different in my mind from holding a sign and begging. I've known quite a lot of people who have performed on the street for one reason or another - some for a short-term need (I had a couple of friends raise their tuition to private arts camps by playing for tips during touristy events) and some as a career of sorts - and most weren't homeless or in particular need. They just have a talent and are trying to find ways to make money with that talent. And I do know a couple that have been "discovered" that way and ended up playing in house bands or backing for recording artists or whatever because of someone who heard them on the street.

I also don’t see street performers as panhandlers. They are at least doing something for the donations they may or may not receive. DS has street performers, some of them are very, very good. One year a man named Don Black was performing at DS near the movie theater, we bought two CDs from him and to this day I still enjoy listing to his music. I wish he would be back at DS sometime when I'm there again.

It's a tough situation, because while many people do need help, some people don't. I used to travel up I-5 for work, and there was a woman panhandling at a rest area, saying she was stranded and pregnant. She was there doing that at least 2 years, so it was a looooong pregnancy. I'm sure she had issues, though--no one would choose that life if they were well adjusted and had all the tools they needed for success. I like the idea of organizations providing aid instead of individuals handing money and food out to people,because an organization would be better equipped to help beyond some food and money in the moment (with referrals for mental health and drug rehab services, etc. )

The town next to mine has made it a crime to pass money from a car to someone on a corner, and the result is all the panhandlers moved to my town. My town has an enormous issue with homelessness and panhandling. It's crippling our community, and nothing like we've seen anywhere else that we've travelled. Whole parks get taken over by tents so that no family can use them anymore (and lets be honest--even if there were only a few tents instead of 50, I'd be uncomfortable with taking a kid there to play). I used to walk along the river--it was a lovely place for people to day hike or bike ride, but now, I'd never go there because it's too isolated and you could come up on a random camper. We are here for my elderly parents and waiting to see where my kids settle, but unless things change here, urban/suburban Oregon is out of control and I don't want to stay here.

I don't think it's virtue signaling as a group or as an individual to call out someone who's been deliberately cruel to a person who may have needed their help. Perhaps myself I just could have said, 'don't be a jerk,' without posting about what I personally do in my own life. My bad.

Sometimes it's important to say something because it might make someone think next time. Or not. But I won't feel bad about posting that what OP did was uncalled for.

Likewise, I don’t feel at all bad about calling out the holier-than-thous on their high horses.

I personally feel like giving cash to a panhandler isn't as good a choice in helping the homeless/those in need as giving to an organization devoted to that cause. I think that often you are just supporting an unhealthy, dangerous lifestyle for that individual. Now I only give cash to organizations devoted to those causes (with a rare exception here or there, I have given cash on occasion to a panhandler but I try to make myself not do that) but I will generally always offer to buy food or put gas in a vehicle. Nearly all will refuse either. What's so weird is how many will refuse even the gas. I don't understand that. They can see what is going into their tank, nothing to worry about with it and why not take some free gas even if it isn't the cash you really wanted?

In our small town we have one family that begs at the busiest street corner. They glare at you if you are stopped and ignore them. They always have nice coats, shoes, boots, you name it. Nothing scruffy looking for them. Always well groomed. They take shifts all day. They look to be about early 20's and healthy. There is a brand new housing apartment unit for the homeless with facilities to help them. So, if this family really wanted help, all they would have to do is go to the homeless shelter. It was built by Catholic charities.
At our home town family owned grocery stores, they hire the disabled. I have seen these workers out in the bitter cold, high winds, and snow hauling out the customers bags. Some of them have leg braces, frozen crooked hands, trouble walking, etc, but they always have a smile and are glad to help.
When I see someone apparently healthy who "has a job" working in shifts on the corner begging, I get upset thinking about all those people who work in all kinds of weather (and believe me, we have horrible winters). My husband has mobility disabilities and he worked up til last year at the age of 74. He pulled his weight doing outside work and whatever was needed. I'm not saying that to say how wonderful he is , LOL, but to point out the differences. BTW, our small town has over 2 huge
s pages of want ads in our paper with good wages!
I think that if people really want the help, they can get it. Like many others on here, I won't give to them but do support local charities.

panhandling in our area has decreased to some extent due to a program enacted a few years ago-'give real change' which encourages that instead of giving change to panhandlers you either put the change into one of many 'meters' (they look like parking meters but are bright orange) around town, call 311 to donate by phone, or opt to do a round up amount (or additional amount) on your utility bill which goes to the local groups that work with our homeless/in need populations. the program also supports a separate phone line (211) that persons in need can call to access immediate and long term items/services (free cell phones and service coverage are available in our state and there are free charging locations in a number of easily accessible locations so having to call is not a deterrent).
I love these ideas! I think I will write to our city/county leaders to make these suggestions. thank you for posting

In our small town we have one family that begs at the busiest street corner. They glare at you if you are stopped and ignore them. They always have nice coats, shoes, boots, you name it. Nothing scruffy looking for them. Always well groomed. They take shifts all day. They look to be about early 20's and healthy. There is a brand new housing apartment unit for the homeless with facilities to help them. So, if this family really wanted help, all they would have to do is go to the homeless shelter. It was built by Catholic charities.
At our home town family owned grocery stores, they hire the disabled, as well as non disabled. I have seen these workers out in the bitter cold, high winds, and snow hauling out the customers bags. Some of them have leg braces, frozen crooked hands, trouble walking, etc, but they always have a smile and are glad to help.
When I see someone apparently healthy who "has a job" working in shifts on the corner begging, I get upset thinking about all those people who work in all kinds of weather (and believe me, we have horrible winters). These people apparently leave for warmer climates during our harsh winters, but come back for the summer trade. My husband has mobility disabilities and he worked up til last year at the age of 74. He pulled his weight doing outside work and whatever was needed. I'm not saying that to say how wonderful he is , LOL, but to point out the differences. BTW, our small town has over 2 huge
s pages of want ads in our paper with good wages!
I think that if people really want the help, they can get it. Like many others on here, I won't give to them but do support local charities.

My perspective is if I do my part to potentially make things better for someone/the world, then it is out of my control what happens from there. I'm not the judge and jury of whether the recipient truly needs it, is scamming, etc., but if I'm led to to donate in some form then I will.

If you aren't so led, that is your choice, but be kind and have a bit of grace. None of us are invincible from a down fall.
Yes, just so. It's likely I've been ripped off a time or two but I remain content in the sincerity of my own intentions. :hippie:

Not much changes over the years does it. Ebenezer Scrooge said..."Are there no poor houses anymore". Same stuff, different century. It's that attitude that makes this country the stink hole that it has become.
The attitude that people should be using the multitude of welfare programs offered in this country (instead of approaching strangers to beg for money) is what "makes this country the stink hole that it has become"?

We obviously disagree on this, but I did want to know why you think our country is a "stink hole"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter