Paperpiecings and faces!!

6_Time_Momma

<font color=blue>Still crazy after all these years
Aghhh. I am so frustrated! I am in a Disney paperpiecing swap. I am new to all this and I thought this would be agood way to jump in. I have pieced together a Snow White, and I am absolutley thrilled with her.........except her face!!!!! How do you guys do faces???? I tried to draw it, but it just is not looking great. I tried to piece it using really small pieces, but that didn't look great either. I am just about ready to leave the face blank, and let the swapees either fill it in themselves or use a daughter's face close-up in the blank!! LOL!!!!! Seriously, is there a good way to make the faces look decent?:(

Hi! If I can't get the faces drawn in just right, sometimes I trace them using a lightbox, but you can get the same effect by holding it up to a window.

HTH!
Candi

I ruined a great paper doll that I made, trying to get the face right - in the end I didn't use it, but since then I have seen these stamps and I am considering investing in them

http://www.scraptastic.co.uk/shopping/rightframes/rubberstamps.html

expressions.gif

this link is to a UK scrapping store - but I'd bet that she's importing them from the US so they should be available over there too.

Bev

I don't know if I can explain this, but I will try. I have a terrible time with faces and hands, so I have worked out a routine that works well for me.

I cut out the pattern of the face. Then I make slits to the edge of the mouth, nose, eyes, etc. and cut along the lines. Next, I lay the pattern piece on the real paper matching the edges. In other words in your example, I would have matched Snow White's face pattern on her finished face. Carefully lift a flap and gently trace the lines along the edges of the cuts. Then go back and go over them again with a marker. It usually works quite well and my results have been very realistic.

Does this make sense? Basicly, it allows you to place the features where they belong and shape them correctly. It is easier than it sounds.

get some graphite paper (carbon smears) and trace the face pattern directly onto the face paper. In fact, I do alot of my paper piecing with graphite paper--I pretty much trace everything, then come back and go over the graphite line with my zig marker!

Don't forget to chalk the cheeks on!

Oooohh. Good idea, Sue! Never thought of using that. It would work great, too. And it is a lot easier to understand.

Chalk always makes paper piecing look 3 dimentional. I second your vote!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter