Parades w/ VI Daughter

kjlc

Earning My Ears
What is the best way to get a close view of any parade? My daughter has a VI and just needs to be as close as possible. Would we need to camp out on a good spot early? I would hate to waste a couple of hours, but I will if needed.

THANKS!

Get a GAC and there are Handicapped viewing areas but even those can fill up. You could have one person camp out and save a space while others are having fun as it does not take many people to save a large space.

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there will be quite a bit of information that should be helpful to you. The thread is near the top of the thread list on this board (look for the green arrow), or there is a link to it in my signature.

In post #3 of that thread, there are some links to past threads on planning for a trip for a person with a visual impairment. Those had a lot of hints that should be helpful.

In post #6 of that thread, there is information about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards). There are handicapped viewing areas for parades, which are marked on the park maps. Depending on the number of people with disabilities there that day, those areas may fill up quickly and you may need to stake out a spot even earlier there than you would just getting a spot by the curb. For the daytime parades, some of the handicapped viewing spots are in the sun, so you want to be aware of that.
The handicapped viewing areas are just an area on the sidewalk along the curb that is divided off for people with disabilities to stand for the parade. You should be able to use that area with a GAC for closer seating.

Since the viewing all over the park is just standing by the curb, you won't be any closer to the parade being in the handicapped area than you would standing by the curb anywhere else. Which park you are talking about and the time of year you are going is going to determine how the crowds are and how soon before the parade you need to stake out a spot. There are also spots (like Main Street and the circle in front of the castle) that are busier. Some other spots in less busy areas (like Frontierland) may give you good view with less of a wait.
As was already posted, staking out a spot on the curb doesn't necessarily mean having your whole family spend hours there sitting on the sidewalk. One person can save the spot for your group and then switch out who is actually at the spot saving it until about 15 minutes before the parade begins.
We have been in October and saw the evening parade from the hub at the front of Main Street, only getting our spot 1/2 hour before the parade began. But, we have been at Spring Break time and the same area was all 'staked out' more than an hour before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter